IGNORED

NCAA Football 2023

saevel25

6 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

In college football? When has that ever been the case? College football has been dirty as hell since the beginning. Both on and off the field. Schools have never followed the same rules.

Just because the NCAA doesn't have enough resources to have eyes on every team at every moment doesn't mean they shouldn't enforce rules that grant a competitive advantage. This is why the NCAA requires self-reporting of violations. 

If you don't get caught, fine. It happens. Congrats, you are good at cheating. That is part of the game. That is part of every sport. You CAN NOT COMPLAIN about the cheating when you get caught. 

When you sign up to be a HC you sign up to know the rules for running your program. Then you decide on how close or how far across the line you want to go. In the end the NCAA is the rules governing body for the sport. They might be terrible at their job, but that doesn't mean you get to complain when you get caught cheating. Look at Spygate in 2007. Bill crossed the line with what he thought was allowable under the NFL rules. He argued his case to the NFL, but was found in violation. Coaches push the boundaries all the time. Don't complain when you get caught breaking a rule. 

Do I think the NCAA should enforce the rules more strictly, more often, sure. I would love to see it. 

8 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

I also will not reflexively defend the rules of a morally corrupt institution. 

I am not reflexively defending the NCAA. I think this is a good rule. All sports allow stealing of signs to some degree. Just do it legally. 

13 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Shocking that a Buckeye either didn't the article or can't read. The article says he's been a volunteer coach since 2015. So you're going to need a new excuse for why Michigan has beat OSU the past 2 years.

If you read the article on ESPN, the cheating goes back to 2021. Just because the person has helped out since 2015, it doesn't mean he was doing the spying since then. That is simple enough to follow. Yea, I read the article. 

image.png

I never made excuses for OSU losing to UM the past two years. 

I think OSU has enough talent and good enough coaching to overcome sign stealing. You still have to go out there and put a hat on a hat and beat the other team. Given the fact it was an 8-point game with 4m and 45sec left in the 4th quarter of the 2021 game. OSU was doing that just. Maybe a few of those big plays were because UM got into a play they knew would work because they knew what was being called. Who knows. In the end, the OSU player missed a tackle. The OSU Safety had a busted coverage. The OSU player didn't keep gap sound on the final big run play. All three of those instances accounted for 21 points for UM.

Until the NCAA officially vacates those wins. OSU lost to UM the past two years. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

38 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

College football has been dirty as hell since the beginning.

The old saying goes "You aren't trying if you aren't cheating."

Probably just about every program in the country makes some sort of effort to pick up the other team's signs. Maybe TTUN got a little more elaborate here. It's also very much on each program to be constantly guarding against this kind of thing. At a minimum, you are regularly changing things. 

I think we've all seen games where you can tell the defense knows exactly what's coming. 

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

I am not reflexively defending the NCAA. I think this is a good rule.

Really?

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

7 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Really?

It doesn't matter why it's "illegal" though or the reason for the rule being implemented. If a team breaks the rules and gets caught, they deserve to be punished. (Technically even if they don't get caught they still "deserve" to be punished)

Simple as that.

You don't have to agree with the rule or the governing body, but that doesn't mean they don't deserve to be punished if they broke a rule.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

16 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Really?

Yep, still a good rule. Maybe it was a bunch of schools with low budgets who could not afford to scout teams. 

There is a WIDE budget range in college football. Teams like UM obviously have the recourses to have a spy network. Maybe smaller schools only can scout one opponent, while apparently UM can scout all opponents and possible future CFB playoff teams. 

I think more rules to level the playing field should be implemented. 

11 minutes ago, klineka said:

You don't have to agree with the rule or the governing body, but that doesn't mean they don't deserve to be punished if they broke a rule.

Yep. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Let’s get to the real fun stuff here. What’s gonna happen with OSU VS PENN this weekend? I’m thinking PENN state to be leading at halftime by 7, OSU dominates the 3rd qrt, OSU wins by 14.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

38 minutes ago, klineka said:

I didn’t say that. I said I’m not sure I care if they broke this rule.

If Michigan gets punished for this, it will probably be some analyst getting a show cause and maybe a few suspensions beyond that. Don’t get your hopes up about wins vacated or anything like that, because this has virtually no competitive besring. 

27 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I think more rules to level the playing field should be implemented

Okay, but this isn’t happening any time soon. All big schools have an army of analysts that deal with minutiae like this.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

6 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Let’s get to the real fun stuff here. What’s gonna happen with OSU VS PENN this weekend? I’m thinking PENN state to be leading at halftime by 7, OSU dominates the 3rd qrt, OSU wins by 14.

I think a lot of it is going to be determined on if some or any of Treveyon Henderson, Emeka Egbuka, and Miyan Williams can play. 

Penn State has played a fairly weak schedule so far this season too, with their best win being at home against Iowa, who is currently ranked 37th in the SP+ rankings. They haven't been challenged on the road yet this season, only playing Illinois and Northwestern on the road who are ranked 58th and 95th in the SP+ rankings respectively.

OSU's strength of schedule is 62nd while Penn State's is 113th.

Ohio State is ranked 10th on offense, 4th on defense, and 17th on special teams and Penn State is ranked 24th on offense, 2nd on defense and 101st on special teams per SP+ metrics.

I think if Treveyon Henderson and Emeka Egbuka play then OSU is without a doubt the better/more complete team and should win easily, assuming they don't beat themselves with turnovers and penalties.

Without those two I think it becomes a much closer game and could see it being a one score game going to either side.

17 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Not sure. Penn State has been HORRIBLE in explosive plays against BAD defenses. Ranked 129 out of 133 in 20+ yard plays from scrimmage. Their opponents ranked 39th, 77th, 1st (Iowa), 30th, and 132nd in giving up 20+ yard plays. I just do not think they have the skill players to push the ball down the field. If OSU gets to play in a 20-yard box from the line of scrimmage, I do not think PSU will be able to sustain drives. 

I just don't know how OSU offense is going to do against PSU Defense. PSU defense has played NO GOOD offense yet. Here is the total offense rank of the teams they faced. 78th, 85th, 133rd (Iowa, lol), 122nd, 89th. Now, they have not let a team score more than 15 points all season. So, they are doing what they should be doing against bad offenses. 

Right now, 56% of the money on is on OSU on the MoneyLine bet. 53% of the money is on PSU with the spread (+4.5 points). 63% of the money is on the over (45.5 points).  The implied score is PSU 20 OSU 24.5 Points.

8 minutes ago, klineka said:

I think a lot of it is going to be determined on if some or any of Treveyon Henderson, Emeka Egbuka, and Miyan Williams can play. 

I think Egbuka is the biggest loss. Hayden and Xavier Johnson were very good last week. I could see it actually being better for OSU to have those two in. They seem to be more creating than run zone stretch into the boundary for Chip, Miyan and Treveyon. 

Still, Carnell Tate and Brandon Innis coming in for Egbuka is a luxury no one else has right now. 

Penn State hasn't let many teams get to the Red Zone. Still, they faced teams ranked 67th, 101st, 129th, 117th, and 96th in available yards. Available yards being, pending your field position, how much yardage do you get as a percentage of that field position. Like, they faced teams who just SUCK at moving the ball down field. When teams get to the redzone, PSU ranks 112th in giving up TD's. OSU has struggled a bit with scoring TD's in the redzone, but this is not a strength for PSU anyways. 

I think there are more winning scenarios for OSU than PSU. I think PSU caps out at 24 points. I think OSU can get into the 30's in this game. There is a higher ceiling here. I think the floor is the same for both teams. I would go something like OSU 28, PSU 17. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

21 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Omg college football is the worsttttt

Seriously it's not even the same sport as the NFL 

Obviously there are some minor rule differences. 

I can appreciate someone being a bit turned off just due to how top-heavy it normally is. 

It's still football. 

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

It’s actually more enjoyable to watch. NFL has gotten to boring. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

7 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I’m sure you all can see where my loyalties lie….still I’ve felt OSU has not played up to their potential for a full game.  The scores look Like they played better than the did.   My concern with Penn is if OSU starts slow and falls behind they may not be able to recover,

GO BUCKS!

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

It’s actually more enjoyable to watch. NFL has gotten to boring. 

Hard disagree there from lack of continuity.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, colin007 said:

Hard disagree. Those kids have passion and want to win, badly. You’re in the top ten and you lose ONE game, it’s damn near a death sentence. NFL? No biggie. They still have their millions and happily trot off the field with no less chance of making the playoffs. KC Chiefs, again. Boredom. The NFL is like watching the Champions Tour compared to PGAT. 

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 10/20/2023 at 1:17 PM, saevel25 said:

If OSU gets to play in a 20-yard box from the line of scrimmage, I do not think PSU will be able to sustain drives. 

Yep, this assessment was correct. PSU couldn't sustain drives without explosive plays. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

17 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Yep, this assessment was correct. PSU couldn't sustain drives without explosive plays. 

A top 10 win without your #2 receiver, #1 corner, and #1 RB while not playing your best game especially on offense is pretty impressive IMO.

Assuming they don't lose prior to the Michigan game I think even if OSU loses to Michigan as long as it's somewhat close they'll still make the playoff. 

On 10/20/2023 at 8:44 PM, iacas said:

Hard disagree there from lack of continuity.

I get that. I kind of like it from the opposite perspective. I like the new that comes every year. 

I get wanting to have players stay on a team together for like a decade. I guess it might also help when your team is good every year. I am sure some people hate their team's continuity because they suck. Maybe prior to this year... Cough cough, The Browns, cough cough. 😜 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag