IGNORED

Course You Could Play Every Day?

Bucki1968

Mine would be Ballyneal. It's both challenging and easy enough that I wouldn't get bored or frustrated playing it all the time. There's a bunch of variety in the holes, and the holes can play very differently from round to round. 

I also thought about Old Mac, Sand Valley, Lawsonia Links, Mammoth Dunes, and Pinehurst #2. Ballyneal is more unique and I think would be more varied from day to day than those.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 9/20/2022 at 8:31 AM, Bucki1968 said:

Anybody got any favorites?

There are a lot of great choices out there. But as I age I've discovered that I really appreciate arid climates. So I was going to pick Wolf Creek in Mesquite, NV. But I would have to take a cart to play that course. And Wolf Creek's practice area isn't great. So, I'm going instead with Angel Park, In Las Vegas, NV. 

Here me out. There are some great advantages to Angel Park. 

• It's in an arid climate, which as I age, I have to confess I prefer.
  • It has a great practice area.
  • It's casual, but not so casual. If I'm going to play every day, I prefer a slightly more casual environment. 
  • It is walkable. Plus, its equally fun to take a cart. 
  • It has a great restaurant. 
  • It has 2 full sized 18 hole courses, each with a different personality. Plus multiple teeing grounds that can make it as challenging as you like. Totally different course from the tips then it is from the forward tees. Yet all the teeing options are playable. There are some courses where the back tees are nearly impossible for me. Angel Park isn't one of those. 
  • It has an additional 9 hole executive course which can be played under the lights. Night golf is just plain fun. 
  • It even has a mini-golf course. What more could you want? 

So, if I have to pick just one. I guess I'm taking Angel Park. Not saying its my favorite course on the planet. It is far from it. But if I only get to play one course from now on and I'm going to play it every day. That would be my pick. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Sands Point GC. 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

1 hour ago, jsgolfer said:

I was thinking, if they had clown mouths and windmills, it would've been more enjoyable. :whistle:

Ooh brother, thems fighting words!!!😜

Vishal S.

7 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Kingsbarns Golf Links - hard to imagine getting tired of that place.

I second and third this! This is my pick

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

16 hours ago, colin007 said:

You would walk Black every day???

Yeah.   I used to carry and walk 72 holes in a weekend when I was younger.  My current home course is hillier than what I remember Bethpage Black to be and I still walk it occasionally.   It clocks in at around 500-700 for nine holes on my Apple Watch with no workout selected.  I’m sure I physically would get exhausted every literal day, but I currently am good for walk/run of 3-5 miles per day right now. 

—Adam

18 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

...So I was going to pick Wolf Creek in Mesquite, NV. But....

Have you played Wolf Creek alot? What do you like about it? I played it once, in the spring of 2021. 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

1 hour ago, Big Lex said:

Have you played Wolf Creek alot? What do you like about it? I played it once, in the spring of 2021. 

I've played it I think 7 times. I play it every other year, for the last 13-14 years. 

It's (in my opinion) such a cool layout. It has cool risk/reward opportunities. It's interesting because it's a mountainous course, yet everything is kind of in front of you. Even though there are a ton of elevation changes you can normally see where you need to go. I just really enjoy playing it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

On 9/21/2022 at 4:53 PM, woodzie264 said:

I second and third this! This is my pick

I can't wait to play Kingsbarn next July.

On 9/22/2022 at 9:52 AM, Big Lex said:

This is an awesome course, loved it.

On 9/21/2022 at 3:55 PM, GolfLug said:

Ooh brother, thems fighting words!!!😜

:banana: 

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Man there are so many good courses out there. Being able to walk it would be very important to me as is being in a climate where I can play year round. Of all the courses I have played I guess I would choose Pinehurst no 2. Very walkable, good climate, very fun, fair golf course. 

On 9/20/2022 at 6:56 AM, Vinsk said:

I sure as heck wouldn’t pick a course I could only play 3-4 months out of the year….😁

I was thinking the same thing. I have a lot family in Michigan and there are some fantastic golf courses there, but sitting on my ass 6 months a year watching the weather suck is a no go for me. 

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

On 9/21/2022 at 3:46 PM, ChetlovesMer said:

There are a lot of great choices out there. But as I age I've discovered that I really appreciate arid climates. So I was going to pick Wolf Creek in Mesquite, NV. But I would have to take a cart to play that course. And Wolf Creek's practice area isn't great. So, I'm going instead with Angel Park, In Las Vegas, NV. 

Here me out. There are some great advantages to Angel Park. 

• It's in an arid climate, which as I age, I have to confess I prefer.
  • It has a great practice area.
  • It's casual, but not so casual. If I'm going to play every day, I prefer a slightly more casual environment. 
  • It is walkable. Plus, its equally fun to take a cart. 
  • It has a great restaurant. 
  • It has 2 full sized 18 hole courses, each with a different personality. Plus multiple teeing grounds that can make it as challenging as you like. Totally different course from the tips then it is from the forward tees. Yet all the teeing options are playable. There are some courses where the back tees are nearly impossible for me. Angel Park isn't one of those. 
  • It has an additional 9 hole executive course which can be played under the lights. Night golf is just plain fun. 
  • It even has a mini-golf course. What more could you want? 

So, if I have to pick just one. I guess I'm taking Angel Park. Not saying its my favorite course on the planet. It is far from it. But if I only get to play one course from now on and I'm going to play it every day. That would be my pick. 

I like how you think here. I mean like really like how you think here... 😊

One thing I would like to add is the blitz options. On my home course I like the fact that I can mix it up with different groups once/twice a month. So a course where there are a few open blitzes would add variety against the monotony of playing the same course. 

So thanks to you, I think I would be just fine playing my home course Elizabeth Manor for the rest of my life which has 2, 3, 4, 5 in spades and then the multiple open blitzes that I can invite myself to anytime. And yes, it is a a different course from the tips with a few 450+ yard par 4 holes at sea level compared to our regular white and blue tees.

We also have a lot of fun member tourneys and while it is not spectacular or a design marvel, it has enough pedigree to host the ODU golf team and the Eastern Virginia Amateur every year (it would be a dream to qualify for it, if I can ever get that low). They run the greens at 13 during the EVA week and 12 during other high turn out tourneys to really make it a handful for mid-cappers like myself. 

Yeah, so lot of different flavors at the same shop to mix it up for a loooong time. Now the only thing I need to think about is a grave site. May be by the 17th green. I know that darn hole is going to kill me one of these days. ..heh heh.   

Edited by GolfLug
  • Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

On 9/21/2022 at 10:22 AM, Golfingdad said:

Great choice!  I choose Kapalua as well.  I haven't played all that many nice courses, but I could also choose Torrey, but no, Kapalua is my choice.

Funny enough, there is a course right down the street from me right now (San Clemente, CA) called Bella Collina and I know that is not the one you're talking about because that course stinks. 😉

Same boat for me. The only other fancy/famous courses I've played that anyone has heard of are Spyglass and the Bandon courses. I'd choose Kapalua easy. Only other course I've played that's close is The Reserve at Santa Lucia Preserve outside Carmel, CA. Solid 1b option and way ahead of Spyglass, which I liked fine but nowhere near as much as lots of folks. It didn't feel even close to worth the price to me. SLP felt much more magical.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

8 minutes ago, Big C said:

Old MacDonald in Bandon Oregon. 

I really gotta play that course again next time I go. It was clearly my and my group's least favorite the first time we played it and we've skipped it every year since. I've seen enough good to great golfers talk about how much they like it or how it's their favorite at Bandon that I feel I've gotta give it another good faith look.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚