IGNORED

Favorite Golf YouTube Channels?

Jeremie Boop

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, JetFan1983 said:

As for Erik Anders Lang, I never got the impression he promoted laziness. Creating and uploading content takes a lot of work and he always came off as a workaholic to me.

I don't think he did a lot of that work. He "hires" volunteers pretty frequently. DJ Piehowski did a lot of his early editing via Skratch/AIG. Etc. EAL's own documentary "Be the Ball" or whatever it's called… is still nowhere to be seen.

23 minutes ago, JetFan1983 said:

He tries to be inclusive.

Really? Or is he just bilking people out of $ "for the vibes"? Have you been to a Random Golf Club outing, where 60+ people play one hole at the same time? What's "inclusive" about him joining several highly private country clubs and then being kicked out for not paying the dues?

I think that's a small sample of what you'd hear back if you were actually not going through me, the middle man here. I told them I'd ask, so I did. I'm done now.

P.S. You'd also hear about:

• He's rarely on time for tee times.
  • He often doesn't play all the holes. Or even half.
  • He cheats his ass off in "breaking 80" or "breaking 90" videos.
  • He claims to not play for score, but gets super pissy when someone says something like "what are you, like a 7?"
  • He talks about himself a lot instead of talking about the place and people.
  • Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't think he did a lot of that work. He "hires" volunteers pretty frequently. DJ Piehowski did a lot of his early editing via Skratch/AIG. Etc. EAL's own documentary "Be the Ball" or whatever it's called… is still nowhere to be seen.

Really? Or is he just bilking people out of $ "for the vibes"? Have you been to a Random Golf Club outing, where 60+ people play one hole at the same time? What's "inclusive" about him joining several highly private country clubs and then being kicked out for not paying the dues?

I think that's a small sample of what you'd hear back if you were actually not going through me, the middle man here. I told them I'd ask, so I did. I'm done now.

P.S. You'd also hear about:

• He's rarely on time for tee times.
  • He often doesn't play all the holes. Or even half.
  • He cheats his ass off in "breaking 80" or "breaking 90" videos.
  • He claims to not play for score, but gets super pissy when someone says something like "what are you, like a 7?"
  • He talks about himself a lot instead of talking about the place and people.

LOL, yea I am not up to date on these kinds of details. Yea that's pretty terrible. 

The only thing there I did know about of course were the Random Golf Club outings. Yea those do seem ridiculous, but I always figured those clubs were cool with them. 

In regards to his attempt to be inclusive, he seems in his videos interested in new people entering golf for the fun of it, that's it. People who otherwise view golf as stupid or whatever non-golfers tend to think about it. 

But uh yea, your insider details certainly changes things for me there. Didn't realize his rep was terrible. 

Constantine

On 11/1/2022 at 9:57 AM, Ty_Webb said:

I'm a little surprised no one mentioned this one - Bryan Bros Golf. It's George and Wesley Bryan.

Seems like a long time ago they were trick shot guys. 
I also seem to remember them being on the Big Break. If I remember right they were both eliminated from The Big Break by the same guy. It was a one-legged military vet if memory serves. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

11 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Seems like a long time ago they were trick shot guys. 

A lot of content creators were. That's how GM Golf started out too. 

I really enjoy the content Bryan Bros put out, looking forward to following along with their golf course renovation, that will be cool to watch. 

I enjoyed some of the early content GM Golf put out when it was just his channel, but personally I can't get over the frat boy party vibes they give off now that they created Good Good. Plus the fact that most of the Good Good guys (even moreso now that Grant and Micah left) aren't unique or have anything special about them and good chances are they wouldn't have had successful channels on their own if it weren't for GM Golf. (Just my personal opinion) I still do watch their videos from time to time, mainly the ones on GM's channel, but I can certainly see why they have appeal to plenty of people.

One that I haven't seen mentioned yet is NoLayingUp. Their video content is by far my favorite golf content on YouTube. They have a number of different series (Tourist Sauce, Strapped, Film Room, etc) where some are just a course vlog with voiceover, some are more about the trip and culture of an area with some golf mixed in, etc, so you know what you're getting into before you start the video. 

If I want equipment related content I usually watch the TXG channel or Mark Crossfield.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood
Irons: :titleist: U505 (3)  :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   :titleist: SM9 54/58  
Putter: :tmade: Spider X

I really like Josh Koch's channel. He hasn't uploaded in a while, nor does he have a ton of subscribers, but there's lots of interesting content to go through. I've been using it mostly for increasing my knowledge of speed training either in the gym or with a club. I briefly met him once thru James Hirshfield like ten years ago at Reunion Resort and it's cool to see how fast his golf swing has gotten. I'll share this video here since I thought it was a good discussion with Dana Dahlquist.

• Thumbs Up 1

Constantine

Grant Horvat's channel has been growing steadily since he broke away from Good Good, and I'm enjoying the content quite a bit. He posted a lesson with Stan Utley yesterday, which I thought was interesting. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Constantine

2 hours ago, JetFan1983 said:

Grant Horvat's channel has been growing steadily since he broke away from Good Good, and I'm enjoying the content quite a bit. He posted a lesson with Stan Utley yesterday, which I thought was interesting. 

Stan! Lose the goatee dude! You look like Mr. Gower!

• Funny 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On the topic of YouTube one of the things that makes me laugh is that so many people take what Youtubers say as Gospel. I was at the outdoor range today and I actually heard two guys (surprisingly older guys, like me.) Talking about how they wish Cobra would have produced just one head on their new AeroJet diver instead of three because it would have brought the cost down lower than last year's LTDx driver. They mentioned Rick Shiels and this video as some sort of proof that Cobra missed the boat and could have sold their driver for like $350 instead of $550. 

So, I checked out the video and it actually kind of pissed me off. Rick is spouting manufacturing principles that he thinks would dramatically lower the price of the driver. Which is fine except he's totally wrong. Not only is he totally wrong but tons of people take his information as gospel. Rick clearly has no understanding of fixed vs variable costs. Nor does he have any understanding of how the retail market works. 

Rick has done this before where he obviously doesn't understand manufacturing or go to market strategy and has said something that doesn't make any sense. He's also on more than one occasion busted out the old "If the manufacturer's didn't pay players to use their equipment, they could pass that savings along to us consumers." NO NO NO NO... that is not how things work. They pay players to use their equipment so that they sell more equipment, selling more equipment drives DOWN their variable costs. If they didn't pay players to use their equipment they'd likely have to charge MORE for their stuff. Callaway publishes their year end numbers every year. Every year their marketing budget is right in line with other B to C manufacturers. 

I know he was a judge on Driver vs Driver. I know he has access in the industry I won't ever have. But he really doesn't understand manufacturing or economics and he should leave that out of his videos. I often hear folks at the driving range spouting almost word for word what he says and that's fine if it's performance related information. But when it's about economics or manufacturing it makes me chuckle because he's nearly always wrong. 

I really like Rick Shiels, GM Golf, and channels of that nature.  I like club reviews and then watching bucket list courses being played with a vlog style of video.

Callway GBB Epic, TaylorMade R7 3W, Wilson D9 Forged, Vokey 54* and 58*, Bettinardi flat stick

1 hour ago, nvkevin said:

I really like Rick Shiels, GM Golf, and channels of that nature.  I like club reviews and then watching bucket list courses being played with a vlog style of video.

I like Rick also. I like his club reviews. When he starts talking about the economics of manufacturing (which he often does) he has no idea what he's talking about. 

13 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I like Rick also. I like his club reviews. When he starts talking about the economics of manufacturing (which he often does) he has no idea what he's talking about. 

I agree. I usually skip over that crap and listen strictly to his reviews. I like his “Breaking ####” series also. 

Callway GBB Epic, TaylorMade R7 3W, Wilson D9 Forged, Vokey 54* and 58*, Bettinardi flat stick

I also seem to watch mostly our British you tubers. I like Mark Crossfield, SAS golf, Rick Shields & the average golfer. Great places for tips, club reviews and Simon's take on bargain hunting used clubs is very interesting. 

• 5 weeks later...

I typically watch Rick Shiels, Good Good, and really enjoy Alex Etches as my go to guys. Peter Finch, MrShortGameGolf from time to time. Have been watching a bit of the younger couple that goes around to estate sales, pawn shops, sports stores looking for deals on clubs. Can't remember their channel name but Rick just did a video with them recently.

• Thumbs Up 1

NEW TO GOLF, BUT READY TO LEARN!

Combat Wounded Marine, Some Assembly Required 😁

6 hours ago, DakotaDarkhorse said:

I typically watch Rick Shiels, Good Good, and really enjoy Alex Etches as my go to guys. Peter Finch, MrShortGameGolf from time to time. Have been watching a bit of the younger couple that goes around to estate sales, pawn shops, sports stores looking for deals on clubs. Can't remember their channel name but Rick just did a video with them recently.

I like Alex Etches too. His silliness makes me giggle. One of the very few channels for which I have the bell notification turned on. By the way the young couple you are referring to I think is called "Stacked Golf". Their names are John and Ashley. If that's the one you are referring to. John used to be a lot heavier. It's hard to know what anyone is really like, but they do come across as such nice people. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Stacked Golf brings a smile to my face as I am stuck indoors in Western NY. A young couple travel to garage sales, thrift stores, and PGA superstores hunting for bargains.

Rick Sheils teamed up with them recently for a collaboration video. Check it out.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I like Alex Etches too. His silliness makes me giggle. One of the very few channels for which I have the bell notification turned on. By the way the young couple you are referring to I think is called "Stacked Golf". Their names are John and Ashley. If that's the one you are referring to. John used to be a lot heavier. It's hard to know what anyone is really like, but they do come across as such nice people. 

Yup, he's goofy and always joking and laughing(often times at himself).  It comes across as if thats just who he is naturally too. Doesn't seem forced to gain views.

You are correct it is indeed Stacked Golf. They do seem genuine and nice. John appears to be pretty knowledgeable about a lot of different clubs that have come out over the years too!

NEW TO GOLF, BUT READY TO LEARN!

Combat Wounded Marine, Some Assembly Required 😁

• 2 weeks later...

More votes for Mark Crossfield (and his buddy Coach Lockey), Danny Maude, Bryan Bros.  And I like some of the course reviews by Fried Egg.  One I want to check out more is Boss Golfs, I liked his Ireland videos.

There are a lot of golf videos that I watch, but don’t really recall the channels.  There are some that I really enjoyed one video, but not the 2-3 that followed on the same channel.

6 hours ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

More votes for Mark Crossfield (and his buddy Coach Lockey), Danny Maude, Bryan Bros.  And I like some of the course reviews by Fried Egg.  One I want to check out more is Boss Golfs, I liked his Ireland videos.

There are a lot of golf videos that I watch, but don’t really recall the channels.  There are some that I really enjoyed one video, but not the 2-3 that followed on the same channel.

I like Mark Crossfield, but man he has to back off the caffeine! Dude is wired in his videos.😜

• Funny 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave