IGNORED

Tennis Shoes to Play Golf

CraigF

Does everyone agree tennis shoes are by far the most comfortable shoes you could wear while golfing? I’m a scratch golfer and that’s all I ever wear!!

• Like 1

• iacas changed the title to Tennis Shoes to Play Golf
  • Administrator
2 hours ago, CraigF said:

Does everyone agree tennis shoes are by far the most comfortable shoes you could wear while golfing? I’m a scratch golfer and that’s all I ever wear!!

No, I don't agree. Though tennis shoes are comfortable… I wear TRUE Linkswear shoes exclusively. They're comfortable.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am sure they are comfortable but don't tennis shoes have slightly tacky soles for court grip? I think wearing them on a course ruins the tack and they can become a bit slippery after a few rounds. No bueno.

Vishal S.

Well I only wear tennis shoes now. I glue on a product called just 4 kickss which are rubber spikes 

comfortable shoes with no slip

and I can wear my la rams or ny giants tennis shoes as golf shoes to win the club championship.  Lol

• Administrator

I mean, if you're happy with it, cool… but sneakers aren't purpose-built for golf, and it's telling that you have to add something to them to make them work for golf.

My TRUE Linkswear shoes are entirely comfortable. They're the only shoes I wear, mostly.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'd never heard of True Linkswear shoes before becoming a member here.    I bought a pair on faith because I didn't have the opportunity to give them a try.   They are wide enough to fit my foot, don't slip in the wet grass and are very comfortable.  I'm a believer!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Tennis shoes are not as supportive, imo. It’s not even just while swinging, but walking on grass, especially when wet. Asics are mostly known for their running/tennis shoes, but their golf shoes are very nice as well!

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

4 hours ago, iacas said:

My TRUE Linkswear shoes are entirely comfortable. They're the only shoes I wear, mostly.

^This. TRUE are my go to for golf shoes. 

I have practiced in other shoes before. I do notice a difference in terms of how stable I feel. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I’m a believer as well. I bought a pair over a year ago and still wear them all over the place. I bought a new pair recently as well. I love the mesh and how easy they can be worn on or off the course. They also wash well in the machine.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Tennis shoes may suit @CraigF.  Comfort is important but there are other features one should consider.

I like the waterproof feature typically included in golf shoes. I suspect most (all?) tennis shoes are not designed to be waterproof since one never plays tennis in the rain. I also feel the golf shoe sole is designed for traction on turf of varying degrees of slope. Tennis shoes are primarily designed for traction on the level surfaces of either hard or clay courts. Yes, there are a few grass court players but my guess is 99% of tennis in the USA is played on hard/clay courts.

My slippers are the most comfortable footwear I own. That is not enough reason for me to wear them on the golf course.

p.s. Craig, are you marketing glue on spikes?

Brian Kuehn

Comfort and non slip are nearly everything for an average golfer. I am pretty humble but yes I’m a scratch golfer. The old school thinking of support and heavy golf shoes are out. 
I only drive it about 280 yards and sneakers are so good for me. Plus I can turn great looking tennis shoes like the Nike nfl line into golf shoes! Wear your favorite team.

I have worn these in state amateur events and placed in the top 15 in the state so they work great. But to each their own 

37 minutes ago, CraigF said:

Comfort and non slip are nearly everything for an average golfer.

For years I have worn service shoes (small nubby soles) or cross-training shoes for practicing or playing a par 3 course.

So-called tennis shoes and light running shoes don't give much lateral support.

Case in point: I was a caddie at a Symetra Tour* event in 2017. Day 1 I wore running shoes. At mid-round, my golfer and I took a shortcut and hopped a creek to avoid the crowd. I planted the shoe on a rock, and felt the shoe give way. The stress had ripped the inside liner and damaged the sole. Threw the shoes away post-round, and wore cross-training shoes the next day.

On a casual round I ended up on edge of a hillside bunker. I had to take an unplayable lie, because without any spikes I couldn't hold an uphill stance.

Happy medium is a pair of Etonic G-SOK shoes. Embedded soft spikes, with light and layered leather upper providing good support.

----------------------

* Symetra = LPGA developmental; now called the Epson Tour.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Personally- I would rank Tennis shoes below Bare Feet on the Golf Footwear scale. 

1. Spikes (metal/soft)

2. Running Shoes (with nice knobbly treads)

3. Spikeless Golf Shoes (but only for a year or two, I have FJ flexes that are not great anymore, especially in damp conditions)

4. Any pair of Vans- Slip-Ons, SK8's, etc...

5. Bare Feet (Try it, you would be amazed)

6. Tennis Shoes

7. Patent Leather Oxfords (would not recommend after a certain 'Wedding Party Incident')

Well like I have said I have worn nfl la rams or Ny giants tennis shoes and just add rubber spikes to them. And they look better then shy golf shoes in my opinion and feel super comfortable. I won the club championship at a top rated course and was able to finish top 15 in a state amateur event so they for sure work! For the average golfer they will work amazingly fine and be super comfy. They are only $25 so inexpensive 

The just 4 kickss things don't look like they provide much traction/grip, and it seems like having them stuck on the bottom of a shoe would make the sole balance/geometry weird. I'll stick with my True and FJ shoes.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

I sure do understand everyone’s concerns and doubts. What’s everyone’s handicap? How often do you play?

it looks like the {product I keep mentioning} don’t have enough grip that’s because you have been told you need footjoys or anything similar. To me those are super uncomfortable.

like I have said I only wear my tennis shoes and they are by far the most comfortable shoes ever. 
I play 3 times a week. Practice 1 day a week and I golf between a plus 2 and a scratch. I’m just trying to help 

2 minutes ago, CraigF said:

because you have been told you need footjoys or anything similar

No one has told me what I need, I've decided what works best for me with regards to comfort and performance. I have golfed in all sorts of footwear, even barefoot.

I wear spikeless FJ dryjoy during rainy season, so mid fall, winter, and early spring; I have found these shoes offer the best combination of grip/comfort/water-proof (I love True shoes, but haven't had good luck with the waterproofing). Once the rainy season is over and the course dries out, I switch to some lightweight mesh True Linkswear, which are by far the most comfortable golf shoes I have every worn.

6 minutes ago, CraigF said:

like I have said I only wear my tennis shoes with just 4 kickss glued on and they are by far the most comfortable shoes ever. 

You're entitled to your opinion, but I don't think they'll be better than my True or FJ.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

For sure everyone should wear what they like the best! Different strokes for different folkes.

buy for my favorite tennis shoes are by far and I mean by far the most comfortable shoes. Plus if you want to be unique you can wear your favorite college or nfl Nike tennis shoes and make them golf shoes.