IGNORED

How Much Is Too Much?

Bucki1968

So we are once again sitting around and having a couple beverages on Sunday after our round and the topic of my trip (wife and I) to Hilton Head came up. I told them all the courses we played and what we spent to play Harbor Town specifically. One of the group said he would never spend that much money to play golf (no matter what the golf course). This, of course, led to a long debate about how much each of us was willing to spend to play a round of golf. I actually think that it did cost too much to play Harbor Town but I enjoyed the round and the caddie was helpful.  My wife actually wanted to play there more than I did. That round of golf for two cost just north of $700.00 bucks. How much are you willing to spend?

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My dad and I are going to Pebble and Spyglass in March. We are required a 2 night stay to get those. So the trip is around $3000 I think. That’s about the limit for sure.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I'm a cheapskate and much more accustomed to the grubby muni end of the spectrum. Probably 90% of my golf is at the home course. With my pass that averages out to roughly $10 per round.

My top bill was $80 to play one of the nicer courses in Outer Banks when we used to take vacation down there.

In my own town, one of my buddies will convince me to play his $50 per round course once and only once a year. 

2 hours ago, phillyk said:

My dad and I are going to Pebble and Spyglass in March. We are required a 2 night stay to get those. So the trip is around $3000 I think. That’s about the limit for sure.

You're taking me, correct?

When I went the greens fees were lower and tee times guaranteed a couple months in advance if we stayed in the lodge.  So we did.

8 hours ago, Bucki1968 said:

How much are you willing to spend?

I fall on the frugal side of things, I enjoy my $20 senior walking rate at my local Robert Trent Jones course.  I'm not sure I'm skilled enough to really appreciate what (say) $250 greens fees gets me.  Maybe someday. But maybe I'm sidestepping the queston "willing to spend."  Bring on Pebble Beach if I can get 3 other friends to come along. 

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

Unless it’s iconic or a bucket list like Pebble Beach or The Old Course, around $250 is kind of my limit. I play routinely in Rhode Island for $35 walking and in NH or MA for $45. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

10 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Unless it’s iconic or a bucket list like Pebble Beach or The Old Course, around $250 is kind of my limit.

Sounds about right. I have debated shelling out $400+ to play PH#2 everytime I'm in the area, but haven't found the trigger yet. Feels a bit rich for my blood. 

P.S. maybe priorities will change after kids go off to college..

• Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

I played Pebble Beach years ago and left feeling....Meh Kinda GIF by Cultura

• Funny 1

My bag:

2 years ago, I paid $150 to play the Currituck Club on the OBX as part of a big family get together. Not impressed- They charge that much to keep the 'riff-raff' out, apparently. 

Early 80's played St. Andrews. Basically just walked up on a mid week day while we were touring around visiting my Grandparents ancestral land. I had played a few other local types over in Ayrshire and headed over. Don't think it cost me more than $50(?) at the time. I can't really remember, but it wasn't any kind of sticker shock, so it must not have been too bad.

In 1988 I played Innisbrook and paid around (I think) $90. I thought my Mom was going to have a stroke. "HOW MUCH??!!" In 2022 dollars that's about $225, so pretty stiff at the time.

However- I HAVE played PB- twice. in 1986 and 1989 Paid approximately $125 each time. Called day before as a single. Before it was REALLY hard to get on. Again, my Mom rolled her eyes and nearly fainted. In 2022 dollars, that is about $340 so again, that was pretty steep then. But it didn't SEEM like it was that much back then. Before 'required' caddies, or whatever they soak you for these days. AND- Since I paid the $5 '17 Mile Drive' toll to get in, they would reimburse me the $5... nice.. "Oh, would you like the Course Yardage Book?" 'Sure' "that will be $5, please..." 

I can play Trump Ferry Point as a resident for $150 midweek... Do I? No... but I have played it twice because I got a gift card. 

It would have to be a really special occasion to spend the 300,400,500 bucks places are getting nowadays just for the "Experience". Even when we plan our buddy trips, we find good value courses and even then, we go for the times when the rates drop a bit (usually around 11am/12pm). Maybe a Lottery win or two would get me to go for a bit more 'exotic' courses that are deemed 'special' places to play. But I've played courses that are tended by sheep, and have had better experiences than some of the more 'must plays' out there. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RayG said:

2 years ago, I paid $150 to play the Currituck Club on the OBX as part of a big family get together. Not impressed- They charge that much to keep the 'riff-raff' out, apparently. 

Early 80's played St. Andrews. Basically just walked up on a mid week day while we were touring around visiting my Grandparents ancestral land. I had played a few other local types over in Ayrshire and headed over. Don't think it cost me more than $50(?) at the time. I can't really remember, but it wasn't any kind of sticker shock, so it must not have been too bad.

In 1988 I played Innisbrook and paid around (I think) $90. I thought my Mom was going to have a stroke. "HOW MUCH??!!" In 2022 dollars that's about $225, so pretty stiff at the time.

However- I HAVE played PB- twice. in 1986 and 1989 Paid approximately $125 each time. Called day before as a single. Before it was REALLY hard to get on. Again, my Mom rolled her eyes and nearly fainted. In 2022 dollars, that is about $340 so again, that was pretty steep then. But it didn't SEEM like it was that much back then. Before 'required' caddies, or whatever they soak you for these days. AND- Since I paid the $5 '17 Mile Drive' toll to get in, they would reimburse me the $5... nice.. "Oh, would you like the Course Yardage Book?" 'Sure' "that will be $5, please..." 

I can play Trump Ferry Point as a resident for $150 midweek... Do I? No... but I have played it twice because I got a gift card. 

It would have to be a really special occasion to spend the 300,400,500 bucks places are getting nowadays just for the "Experience". Even when we plan our buddy trips, we find good value courses and even then, we go for the times when the rates drop a bit (usually around 11am/12pm). Maybe a Lottery win or two would get me to go for a bit more 'exotic' courses that are deemed 'special' places to play. But I've played courses that are tended by sheep, and have had better experiences than some of the more 'must plays' out there. 

I played Pebble in the early 90's and it was about the same price (I want to say it was $150 bucks). I walked the course carrying my own bag. We played late in the day during the summer (July) and the greens were really beat up. Bumpy and slow. Beautiful course but just was a little disappointed in the conditions. Not sure I would drop the cash to play it again.  

My bag:

At this stage in life, I am willing to over pay for bucket list courses.  My problem often is having to pay for my spouse and/or kids/grandkids in addition to my green fee. A $250 round suddenly becomes $1,000.

Bucket List golf trip $10,000 (me only)

Single Bucket list course: $1,000 (me only)

Everyday Round: $50 or so (with golflation, that number is going higher)

Brian Kuehn