IGNORED

2023 TST Birdie Challenge

iacas

☺️

8th hole today.  Short par 4.  Great drive and maybe 50 yards to the green.  PW and the ball dropped to about 2 feet or so from the pin.  Bit of a left to right slider but made it and happy front 9.

Put it in the 2022 birdie page.  Now moved it.

😃

• Thumbs Up 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I finally finished the 2022 Birdie Challenge today by knocking off #10 (a month and a few days too late) with a tap in birdie. I also birdied #7 again (2 birdies, 1 eagle this year) for a duplicate. The approach on 10 was a spectacular 8 iron under the wind to a foot, and I just laughed because in 2021 it was 16 that carried over and of course it was one of the first to fall in 2022. 

• Funny 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

It's been a quick start to the birdie challenge this year.  I've had 11 in the last 4 rounds.  

• Thumbs Up 2

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Finished the back 9 yesterday, would like to say it was two great shots and a tap in birdie, but alas it was a chip-in. 

• Like 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

• Administrator

Played the front nine at Whispering Woods today! Yay! Played through on the sixth hole, a par three, and hit it to about two or three feet. Tapped in with my wedge. So, I'm counting it! (It was 187 from our tee markers today, even though there were no actual tee markers out).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

One more down yesterday. I smoked a drive with a baby cut on #9 which left 102 into a breeze. Played sw back in my stance and threw a bullet (much lower and longer than planned) that hit at the top of the green and spun out in the fringe. Putted a downhill 30 footer that hit the stick and made 3! While the wedge was a little disappointing, the putt made up for it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Today was #11 - 160 yard par 3. Hit a baby draw 8 under the hole and drained a 15 footer. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yesterday, I knocked off the opening hole, which played 504 yards from the back tees. Playing down breeze, I hit a lowish draw that caught the downslope of the left fairway bunker that acted like a speed slot. With a mid pin placement, I had 203 to carry the bunker and 220 to the flag. I hit 4 iron that carried about 210 and landed pin high for an easy 2 putt birdie. Had a couple of looks after #1 but I had a horrible time with speed control. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday, at the new home course (which will be the away course, since I am also still playing the first one) I had my first official round and birdie. It came on the #1 handicap #6 that was playing 436 downwind. I told my partner that I was playing for a bogey because this hole is a beast that is dogleg left with water left (250) and water right (270). I relaxed and hit a 15 yard draw and perfectly shaped it and got a great kick cutting off the dogleg but with a lie with the ball sitting down in a slight downhill lie. With a front pin 148, I scraped a thin 8 iron that bounded into the false front and rolled 4 feet to the left of the pin. With a sharp break, I played the putt outside of the hole and poured it in. Good thing or I would have had an equal length putt coming back due to the severity of the slope. The hardest hole on the course is the first to fall! 

TPC Scottsdale Stadium Course, Hole #6

Lying 190yds after drive, I hit a hybrid to 10”. Thankfully, I didn’t 3-putt it 😛

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

• Administrator

I birdied at least the 13th hole at Forest Creek North (65-yard wedge tracked toward the hole, bounced off the flagstick so squarely it came straight back at me and sat on the front lip), so I added that to the away course composite.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Birdied #6 at home course. Pushed a drive but cleared the water leaving a gap wedge with downhill lie over a tree. Hit to 15 feet and made the downhiller smacking the middle of the cup. 

• Thumbs Up 1

New home course #12 which is a par 5. Smacked a drive and hit a screaming 4 iron that ended up on back fringe. Hit the putt and misread the break by 4 feet. Made the 4 footer to save face and the birdie! 

New home course saw 3 on the back nine today. Made the turn following a sloppy hole and hit 3 wood into the middle of the fairway. I had 150 into breeze and hit a cut 7 to hold and it landed to 15 feet and a great putt. Birdied #12 again, this time laid up to 70 yards and hit it to 5 feet. Finally, on #17, a downwind 517 yard par 5, hit driver and had 215 left to a front pin. A well struck 4 iron to the fringe and got it up and down for birdie #3. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In my last three rounds I've birdied 17, 7, and 2. Getting 2 and 7 are a big deal because these holes always play tough for me, so nice to knock them early. Hole 1 is going to be the toughest to get - haven't birdied this hole in my Shotscope era (2019 - present), so it's been awhile.

• Thumbs Up 2

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

New course #13 is a 180 yard par 3 with swamp down the left side. Howling downwind (@20), I launched a spinny 7 iron pin high and made the 25 footer for a total of 5 holes marked off the sheet.  Playing match play because of conditions, I saw my brother hit a 20 yard pitch shot that got knocked down by the wind. On another hole, a downhill putt literally stopped rolling. Winds were constantly between 15-20 with gusts up to 25-30. Brutal! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Birdied #15 at Spooky Brook today in windy conditions. Short dogleg left par 4, I cut most of the corner off and had about 70 yards to a back pin. Managed to hit that wedge 60’ away but made the putt.

Funny thing is I had two birdie putts earlier in the day inside of 10’ and missed them both, one being the poor result of a long eagle putt. That’s golf for ya.

• Thumbs Up 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

5 hours ago, billchao said:

one being the poor result of a long eagle putt. That’s golf for ya.

Ew, the dreaded three-putt par. 

Congrats on the 60 footer for birdie though. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with.