IGNORED

Slow Play Solution

Ashlandeagle

5 hours ago, turtleback said:

She wasn't DQed for slow play, she was DQed for signing a wrong scorecard because she didn't include the slow play penalty strokes after they had been assessed, she had appealed, and her appeal was denied.

This was defiance and should draw a suspension from the Lady's governing body, IMO.

I realized all of that. But it was because they gave her the penalty that she refused to sign the card

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
1 hour ago, ChiTown said:

@turtleback who can say whether she accidentally or intentionally forgot to include the one stroke penalty on her scorecard.

The articles written about it told you that. She disagreed and signed intentionally for the lower score after a review.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

18 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

I realized all of that. But it was because they gave her the penalty that she refused to sign the card

But you mischaracterized it by saying that she was DQed because of her slow play.  As you now agree, slow play was NOT the reason she was DQed.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

19 minutes ago, turtleback said:

But you mischaracterized it by saying that she was DQed because of her slow play.  As you now agree, slow play was NOT the reason she was DQed.

Whatev’s -I didn’t mischaracterize anything. I said the player had been penalized n the past and lost matches because of it. In this instance,  the reason she was DQ is because she wouldn’t sign the card, because she was penalized for her slow play. Her being penalized for slow play had consequences for her. That was the point of my post. I’ll grant you  that the technical reason she was DQ’d was failure to sign the card but the cause of her actions was her being penalized for her slow play. My allusion to her losing other matches due to penalty strokes is because she actually lost other matches due to the penalty strokes received during those rounds…not because she didn’t sign those score cards.  My whole point was that she was penalized for her slow play and that the TOUR should take some lessons. Not sure why you’re splitting hairs with my post but if it makes you feel better, sure. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

20 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

Thank goodness a tour  actually  has the  guts to issue stroke  penalties.

"My whole point was that she was penalized for her slow play and that the TOUR should take some lessons. Not sure why you’re splitting hairs with my post but if it makes you feel better, sure. "

You are exactly right. Its time the  TOUR stands  up to the turtles and issue stroke  penalties. She  got the  kick because she refused to acknowlege her disgusting  slow  play on her scorecard.

• Thumbs Up 1

Same dumb schtick since joining.

It is brave and bold to assign penalty strokes for slow play.

It is absolutely routine to DQ someone who signs for a lower score.

It is not splitting hairs to note the difference.  If she had added the penalty strokes to her score before signing she would not have been DQed.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

13 minutes ago, turtleback said:

It is brave and bold to assign penalty strokes for slow play.

It is absolutely routine to DQ someone who signs for a lower score.

It is not splitting hairs to note the difference.  If she had added the penalty strokes to her score before signing she would not have been DQed.

You missed the point of my post and nothing I said was inaccurate.  I’m sorry that isn’t clear to you

-Jonny

On 5/10/2023 at 3:19 PM, colin007 said:

If they can cane kids for spitting in certain countries, then why can't we use electric cattle prods for slow play?

I saw all golfers have to wear a shock collar like my dog does. They can wear it around the neck, wrist or ankle.  Put up 60 on the clock and if they dont hit they get zapped.
You would have golfers cracking their shots regardless if the green was cleared. Golfers who get shocked would drop to their knees in agony, which would take them longer than 60 seconds to recover, so another shot of voltage.

This means the course would be littered with golfers just lying there getting shocked.
The tournament would look less like the PGA tour and more like the beaches of Normandy! 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Funny 3

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

For me slow play is divided into 2 different issues.  

Issue #1: Pro Tour Players: I really do not care how slow they are as long as the TV Coverage does not focus on them for the entire 5 minutes to line up a 4 foot putt.  Their being slow does not directly impact me since I am not in the group behind them.  Other PGA Tour players may see it differently since it would directly impact them.  For me the issue with slow PGA Tour players is that many recreational players mimic them and thus become slow recreational golfers.

Issue #2: Recreational Golfers: This is where slow play bothers me, especially when I am in a group that is backed up behind a slow group.  Too many golfers think they are on tour taking way too long and  simply not playing "Ready Golf".  Stroke penalties, etc. do nothing in relation to this problem since they are not in a tournament.  A solution could be an "active" marshal that monitors all groups and forces a slow group to pick up their balls and move forward into position so the groups behind can enjoy their round.  Unfortunately, not many courses have "active" marshals and there could be problems if a group gets aggressive against the marshal for doing their job.  We've all read articles about road-rage and I could see some drunk idiot pull a gun on the marshal.   Slow play groups could also be banned from booking future tee times but that would be very hard to enforce since all they need to do is book under a different name.  That leaves having more time between tee times but that then costs the course money.  Unfortunately, I'm not seeing any solid solution to slow recreational golfers, but I do like @Elmer's dog collar idea.

• Thumbs Up 2

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

1 hour ago, StuM said:

For me slow play is divided into 2 different issues.  

Issue #1: Pro Tour Players: I really do not care how slow they are as long as the TV Coverage does not focus on them for the entire 5 minutes to line up a 4 foot putt.  Their being slow does not directly impact me since I am not in the group behind them.  

Issue #2: Recreational Golfers: This is where slow play bothers me, especially when I am in a group that is backed up behind a slow group.  Too many golfers think they are on tour taking way too long and  simply not playing "Ready Golf".  Stroke penalties, etc. do nothing in relation to this problem since they are not in a tournament.  A solution could be an "active" marshal that monitors all groups and forces a slow group to pick up their balls and move forward into position so the groups behind can enjoy their round.  Unfortunately, not many courses have "active" marshals and there could be problems if a group gets aggressive against the marshal for doing their job.  We've all read articles about road-rage and I could see some drunk idiot pull a gun on the marshal.   Slow play groups could also be banned from booking future tee times but that would be very hard to enforce since all they need to do is book under a different name.  That leaves having more time between tee times but that then costs the course money.  Unfortunately, I'm not seeing any solid solution to slow recreational golfers, but I do like @Elmer's dog collar idea.

I think you are spot on, with both your points.
How do you stop a weekend golfer from spending 10 mins looking for his top flite, we all saw fly deep into the woods?
What about a golfer who looks at his putt from both sides, just to sink it and end up with double bogie!

I know Marshal's around me are not looking to tick anyone off. They dont want to be known as the course that tells people to "pick the ball up and move along". Especially with it being track season, no course wants to kick the big spenders off.

In my Grom:

Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Here are a few solutions. First, well placed marksmen in gillie suits with pellet rifles. Once a player gets to his ball or in the vicinity of where it went out the clock starts. Go over time, he gets popped with a pellet round. If player does not quicken his step, another shot is taken at groin area. Problem solved.

Second idea. All players must use credit/debt card no cash when checking in. Players are instructed that their round should take X number of hours, depending on various factors of course. If they go over, they will automatically be billed in 5-10 minute increments or whatever course decides. Players will sign a release acknowledging the rule and subsequent charges.    

• Funny 2

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

• 8 months later...
17 hours ago, colin007 said:

To be clear, I think its good when PoP policies are enforced.  Its never good when a player misses the cut because of it, but there's only one person to blame.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

Its never good when a player misses the cut because of it

I disagree, if this encourages either this player or another to pick up the pace, then zero effs are given on my part for her missing the cut and I do think it's good

• Thumbs Up 1

Colin P.

44 minutes ago, colin007 said:

I disagree, if this encourages either this player or another to pick up the pace, then zero effs are given on my part for her missing the cut and I do think it's good

Baseball instituted the 15 second shot clock, and the players adapted.

I think one of the issues is there is no clear metric for judging slow play.
 I have to imagine the pros are out there playing the game at their pace as they have practiced.

To stop this you will need to condition the players from the beginning of their career.
maybe put a Pace Ref with every group. That ref determines when fairway/green is cleared and starts a 30 second clock.

In my Grom:

Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Elmer said:

Sure there is. How would they enforce a pace of play policy in the absence of such?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

11 minutes ago, Elmer said:

If you search you can find Pace of Play policies for the PGA Tour, at least from a few years ago. 

https://img.bluegolf.org/files/stpga/2024_Documents/23_PGA_TOUR_Pace_of_Play.pdf

But the system is a bit complicated, and is pretty lenient.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.