IGNORED

Is Golf Really Becoming More "Accessible?"

Bucki1968

So, me and some of the boys are watching the PGA Championship on Sunday after our round of golf. Kept hearing announcers and commercials etc. talking about making golf more accessible. I personally am not seeing it. Prices have increased (at least in my area) as far as green fees, memberships, equipment, apparel and so on. There are more people playing (again this I'm basing on my area) so I suppose it has become more accessible in that regard, but it looks to me (and the boys) that it's actually turning back into a "rich mans" sport a little bit. I'm not rich but I love it, so I budget for it. So do the boys (although some of them do better than others). We had an interesting conversation about this. I suppose golf can cost you as much or as not as much as you want it to.  It seems like even the used golf equipment has gone up with the inflation. If it stays this way, more and more people are going to get priced out of the game.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

Prices have increased (at least in my area) as far as green fees, memberships, equipment, apparel and so on.

I help set up a golf outing every year, and the one course said that they had to raise green fees like $2-3 dollars. They mentioned that the green fees were not raised for like 10 years prior. So... the question becomes, were golf courses not adjusting prices like they should have. 

It makes more sense now. The cost to get anything is really high right now. Golf courses have to adjust their pricing to be able to maintain their golf courses. I do not blame golf courses for raising their prices as much as $10 per round. 

Equipment is in the same boat. Cost of materials is high due to demand and supply chain issues. You really can't ask an expensive game to be accessible during times when inflation is high and supply chain issues is driving up O&M costs. You will just cause courses to go under. Which makes golf much less accessible. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

In general, I agree with you. Golf is not becoming more accessible. Greens fees are going up by me, too, and it's becoming hard to get a tee time at any course. The higher-end public courses by me are hard to get tee times at, even during non-peak times. Good used clubs are definitely more expensive than they used to be, and new clubs are also more expensive. So if you're a golf junkie who plays good courses, especially at peak times, it's more expensive and busier than it has been in the past.

But I also think you are overlooking some things that do make golf accessible. If you are on a budget, you can get old clubs for fairly cheap. Just poking around play it again sports' site, I can see some decent iron sets from the 2010s for $100-$200. That's not terrible. A full set of new, off-brand clubs at Dicks are under $300. That's way cheaper than paying $2000+ for a bag full of the newest top-line equipment. Similarly, the par 3 courses by me are under $15 to walk. I can get on a executive course for around $20. All of that is cheaper on a weekday. If you want to play 9 late in the day, you're looking at $20-$30. If you compare other activities that take roughly the same time, that's really not outrageous. Movie tickets around here are $15+, for example. It takes some effort, but golf can be affordable and accessible.

• Thumbs Up 2

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

One big thing in my area is that the cheaper courses, the nine-holers and the par-3s are all pretty much out of business. 

I had a couple of golf buddies that were never up for 18 holes on a regulation-size course that would cost them $40 or more, but a casual spin around the old Falcon course (a cheap executive course) was perfect. Haven't really seen them since Kittyhawk shut during the pandemic. 

My first rounds were on a par-3. Thinking back on it, playing a big-boy course at that stage would have been a nightmare. Knowing I could hit a scrubby one or two and still be near the green quickly made a lot of difference, just feeling comfortable. 

That course just no longer exists around here. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

33 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Equipment is in the same boat. Cost of materials is high due to demand and supply chain issues. You really can't ask an expensive game to be accessible during times when inflation is high and supply chain issues is driving up O&M costs. You will just cause courses to go under. Which makes golf much less accessible. 

I don't know if it is supply chain issues as much as simple demand.
Last year when I was looking for a new drive, I was disappointed that all the major brands were $500+. Why? Because people pay for them.
So I looked for used club figure that would be cheaper.
Even a 1 year old used club was running $350.  Why? Because people pay for it. 
And really how much of a difference is there between this years Taylormade Driver and last years?

I think the same applies for golf balls.
Why do hackers with a double digit handicap play titleist or any premium ball at $45 a dozen when top flite is 1/2 the cost. 
Because advertisers tell them this is the best stuff. It is what the pros use and weekend hackers want to be like the pros. 

Now courses, I get they have expenses. but locally it now costs me the weekend rate from a few years ago, just to play on a weekday.
I used to be able to go play with a couple family members who were senior citizens and play for $35, now I am paying $55.
And that is cart and course fee, as the course dont let you walk, they want you moving along.

I have said this before that I have yet to meet a ranger on a course who allows you to go back to the tee when you cant find your tee shot. That is slowing down the game. They want you moving forward. 

Unfortunately, I dont see the courses lowering their fees. If there comes a time when they are priced out of existence, they just sell to a developer and up goes a bunch of duplexes! 

• Thumbs Up 2

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

2 minutes ago, Elmer said:

I don't know if it is supply chain issues as much as simple demand.

We have major supply chain issues right now. I work directly in an industry that has a lot of variety in material (nuts, bolts, washers, steel wire, copper wire). Everything has 3-5x lead times than 2-3 years ago. Wood poles went from 10 weeks to 40+ weeks. Steel wire went to over a year lead time. 

I can see issue with golf courses getting material. I can see issue with golf club companies getting material. There was a golf shaft shortage for KBS Tour steel shafts last year. It is not just supply and demand. 

5 minutes ago, Elmer said:

I was disappointed that all the major brands were $500+. Why? Because people pay for them.

It is part of that. Again, material is costing more. Labor is costing more. Golf drivers have gotten really fancy. What if golf shafts are costing 1.5x as much for golf companies? They have to pass that on to consumers. 

6 minutes ago, Elmer said:

Even a 1 year old used club was running $350.  Why? Because people pay for it. 

That is pure supply and demand. 1 year old driver for $350 is a good deal if the next year's driver is $500+. Like buying a used car. 36% depreciation is pretty significant drop. Cars lose 20% of their value in the first year. A bit of perspective. 

6 minutes ago, Elmer said:

Why do hackers with a double digit handicap play titleist or any premium ball at $45 a dozen when top flite is 1/2 the cost. 
Because advertisers tell them this is the best stuff. It is what the pros use and weekend hackers want to be like the pros. 

Most hackers I know do not play Pro-V's. I think that is overblown. 

7 minutes ago, Elmer said:

I used to be able to go play with a couple family members who were senior citizens and play for $35, now I am paying $55.
And that is cart and course fee, as the course dont let you walk, they want you moving along.

Supply and Demand is in play, but also it cost more to run a golf course. O&M is spiking due to inflation. 

17 minutes ago, Elmer said:

I have said this before that I have yet to meet a ranger on a course who allows you to go back to the tee when you cant find your tee shot. That is slowing down the game. They want you moving forward. 

This is off topic. If you want to go down this route, start a topic about it. It seems you got a rant and went a bit sideways. 

18 minutes ago, Elmer said:

Unfortunately, I dont see the courses lowering their fees. If there comes a time when they are priced out of existence, they just sell to a developer and up goes a bunch of duplexes! 

First, golf course fees were stagnant for a long time. I know courses that have not raised fees for 10+ years. They are not close to being a deterrent. Courses are busy as ever even with increased prices. 

The selling of golf courses to land developers has more to do with land and housing prices, not golf becoming expensive. Courses were selling way before price increases. 

Losing some golf courses just help out other golf courses to stay busy. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

50 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

I suppose golf can cost you as much or as not as much as you want it to.

I still think its cheaper than fishing. I tell my friends that don't play golf this all the time. And when I say fishing I really mean boating! 

I finally came to the conclusion that things cost money and like you said, you have to budget for them. Golf is certainly something that ebbs and flows (supply and demand). I remember the Florida golf boom in the early 90s where the private courses were popping up everywhere and play was limited to public venues or getting a rare member invite. Then a few years later those private clubs turned semi-private or public and were begging for people to play just to stay alive. Now, Covid comes around and makes golf popular again and the cycle continues. I don't really see equipment, practice, or even lessons as the barriers, but the actual playing of golf to be where money is spent. I remember taking 10 years off when I had small kids because it wasn't feasible (and I wasn't willing to play once a month). In the last few years I found a group that was part of a card program at a public club where we worked a deal to pay a premium for standing times (Thursday afternoon and Saturday mornings). We don't mind paying because we know the alternative of having to take what you can get and we do spend money on food and beverage. Recently, I moved a little farther north and joined a private club. That has cost me a few bucks but I have zero regrets (plus compared to Palm Beach County it was a deal). 

As far as accessibility during the season, I don't see it in Florida (with the exception of an Evans Caddy program starting up in WPB). Even the "municipal" courses are cashing in with rates from 60-130 bucks. In the offseason, we do have opportunities for kids summer camps, afternoon 9 hole leagues, and the popular summer cards that offer play at some decent courses at reasonable prices. But for the average Joe that wants a Saturday morning tee time, not so much. Golf has never really been a game for the masses and I am not sure that it ever will be (and I am not talking about Top Golf being real golf either). Now Pickleball? I got into it for $45 and play at a local park. Maybe that balances out my sports budget! I am going with that for now! 🤣

• Thumbs Up 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

28 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

This is off topic. If you want to go down this route, start a topic about it. It seems you got a rant and went a bit sideways. 

First, golf course fees were stagnant for a long time. I know courses that have not raised fees for 10+ years. They are not close to being a deterrent. Courses are busy as ever even with increased prices. 

The selling of golf courses to land developers has more to do with land and housing prices, not golf becoming expensive. Courses were selling way before price increases. 

Losing some golf courses just help out other golf courses to stay busy. 

I was a bit off topic on that. However I was trying to draw a correlation between courses trying to get as many people on the course "playing golf", yet in doing so keep them from playing golf as intended.  Kind of goes to paying these prices just to feel like you are golfing on an assemble line. Find me at the 19th hole, buy me a beer and I will stand on my soap box for a long time!

Course fees in my area have not been stagnant for 10 years. First the carts went up a few dollars, because gas prices went up. Then the cost went up around the pandemic because the course now had to disinfect the carts.
Now they are going up because the cost of doing business is going up.
I understand that no one runs a golf course out of charity, they are in it to make money. However just because the local National course charges over $100+ a round, does not mean the local muni should jack up the price to an unreasonable level. 

Lastly, I know in my area at least 2 courses have sold to developers, because they owners made more money in the land deal than having run a golf course in the long run. 

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

From a newbie perspective I can only comment on how accessible it is now for me.

Acquiring clubs - one off expense to begin, understandably necessary and second hand will do the job (a little harder for a left hander). Not a major obstacle and most local clubs allow you to hire them for a round.

Green fees are quite high on alot of nearby courses but membership isnt (if you consider bi-weekly play for 4hrs, 8months a year its less than £35 a round inc fees/club) more reasonable if you play more frequently. Also saw a local Stonehaven course which looks great and is £50 for visitors.

Lessons here are around £30 an hour or hire the simulator for £10 an hour. Reasonable cost to experience it and get a feel.

Apparrel is the unusual one, you dont hire it or typically get second hand so its a one off expense, typically quite restrictive so wont get much use outside of golf (if you dont stick at it) and the cost can be quite high to fully kit out (I priced at half the cost of the new beginner clubs)

Whereas realistically does it matter if you play golf wearing three quarter length gym trousers or cargo pants? Provided your shoots dont damage the ground it seems unnecessarily prohibitive. Especially when its for course not club.

I currently have an ankle/back injury so able to ease in and spread my cost. Likely take advantage of reduced winter membership which will bring my initial outlay to £900 for apparel, clubs (new), membership, 3hrs coaching + simulator time. As opposed to £1400 if i jumped in peak season. Not sure about the average golfer but I dont tend to have that much disposable income for my hobbies.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 2

Mike in Scotland - Discovering golf one divot at a time

(Swing Thread)

I would be curious to see or hear some sort of "projection" for the golf business for the next couple of years. I think that would be an interesting read. I have heard from "them" that our club(s) are already making plans for a downturn in the business. I wonder how accurate that prediction is? 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

25 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

I would be curious to see or hear some sort of "projection" for the golf business for the next couple of years. I think that would be an interesting read. I have heard from "them" that our club(s) are already making plans for a downturn in the business. I wonder how accurate that prediction is? 

In the TB area? Sounds unlikely with all the growth. 

In general, I can see some leveling because the Covid golf novelty has worn off. Golf is hard and some people don't like the struggle. I hope it slows slightly but not to the point we see shutdowns of courses. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

One thing to add that just occurred to me. I am seeing more e-mails and ads for beginner golf classes. I feel like there is more of an effort recently to get beginners involved in golf. That's one way golf has definitely become more accessible recently.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

We are seeing more people on courses in India.  I don't think it is because golf is more accessible.  I think it is because more people have become wealthy (middle class and up).  Golf has definitely become a lot more expensive over the last 5 to 10 years.  Club prices seem to have doubled.

• Informative 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

To the thread title question, yes and no. When I was in college, the local muni had a student deal that was either $5 or $10 greens fee (don't remember exactly, it was 27 years ago now), and had unlimited replay. I could basically golf all day for a very affordable price. I don't know how many of those deals exist nowadays, but I would never have gotten hooked on golf if it wasn't for that.

Yes - today someone can buy a used 7-iron or driver for a few bucks in a thrift store/yard sale, or scour FB, craigslist for free postings. Take that club to a driving range and spend $10-20 on a bucket of balls. If the driving range is enjoyable, maybe find a deal on a full set of clubs, and play twilight golf - my home course has twilight rounds for $21 on weekdays, and Juniors (17 or younger) are always $10 regardless of time.

No - golf is costly, and it feels like it is getting more costly. My greens fees have gone from $20 to $25 to $29.99 to $34.99 and now to $58. This increase was due to routine price increases over the past 5-6 years, and also reduction of "player's club" benefits. I don't begrudge the course for raising costs and reducing benefits, it is a business, and maybe sometimes with thin margins. I don't feel like it is a golf course's job to make golf accessible, although some level of accessibility via reduced costs is ultimately is good business because it creates more golfers. 

• Informative 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

24 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

My greens fees have gone from $20 to $25 to $29.99 to $34.99 and now to $58.

$38 increase in five or six years? 

Is this the same course?

Do you get a free beer and lap dance after your round is over?

17 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

$38 increase in five or six years? 

Is this the same course?

Do you get a free beer and lap dance after your round is over?

I think prime time pricing (weekend/holiday morning and daytime play) went from $45 to $58 during this period, but also the program they offer called "player's club", where you pay a monthly fee for free range balls and reduced greens fees got neutered over the same time period.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

14 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

I think prime time pricing (weekend/holiday morning and daytime play) went from $45 to $58 during this period, but also the program they offer called "player's club", where you pay a monthly fee for free range balls and reduced greens fees got neutered over the same time period.

Must be one hell of a course. 

I'd have gone somewhere else on general principle. 

• iacas changed the title to Is Golf Really Becoming More "Accessible?"

I live in a poor, rural part of southern Ohio.  I can think of 5 courses within an hour drive of me that have closed in the last 10 years or so, plus the only par 3 course in the area.  Two of those were pretty nice at one time while one of the others plus the par 3 were great beginner courses and very walkable. Another course in the area was supposed to shut down last year, but it got saved somehow. I hate that course and don't want to play it anyway, yet I don't want it to close, I don't think costs have gone up faster than inflation. The course conditions have gotten worse., probably because the courses feel they can't charge more in this area, so they are cutting maintenance costs. 

The only course in my county, which is where I play most often, charges $32/$34 weekday/weekend for 18 with cart. I think they raised the cart fee $2 last year because of the cost of gas. A season pass (no cart) is only $500 ($450 if paid before Dec 31st of prior year) with cart fees of $15 per 18. Walking only costs $22 for 18, but is a very hilly course and not many people walk because of that. I don't play enough to justify a season pass. The conditions are not great. All bunkers have been abandoned and grass allowed to grown in them, but they are not nice grass bunkers like some courses have. Greens are OK though. Tees and fairways are not great. It is a redneck course where t-shirts with the sleeves cut off are not unexpected to see.

The best 2 courses in the adjacent counties charge $32/$38 and $42 for 18 with cart. The cheaper of these 2 has a membership cost $650 if paid before Feb 14th and a weekday pass is only $550. If I ever buy a membership it should be the weekday pass here since I work within a few miles of this course and could play after work, but I still don't think I'd get my money's worth out of it. The other course requires that you be a member of the Elks, and then it costs $1000 for the golf membership. Both courses are nicer than my home course, but are not quite as nice as they used to be. They are more walkable than my home course too, so you can save money if you want to walk. I know that in northern Ohio you can get pretty good deals through Group Golfer, but the closest course offers I have seen are 2 hours away (disregarding the crappy 9 hole course in the adjacent county). I have played Eaglesticks twice using GG for only $25, but is is a 2 hours drive and this year the GG deal went up to $29. And Eaglesticks bunkers have been in terrible conditions both times we played.

So in my area golf is less accessible based on number of courses available, but cost is not any more of a barrier than it ever has been. I don't consider cost of equipment to be a barrier since that is a not an issue every year and used is an acceptable option.

Edited by The Flush

War Eagle!