IGNORED

What is "Proper Golf Attire"?

sixiron

28 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Basically, any private business has the right to refuse service to people, as long as it isn't discriminatory.

I feel like this has been forgotten over the last few years!

• Thumbs Up 1

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

55 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Basically, any private business has the right to refuse service to people, as long as it isn't discriminatory.

Harrison Ford Knockout GIF by Indiana Jones

NO TICKET!

• Funny 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

The last club AGM I went to had two items of interest to me, one being clothing on the course and the other being whether to allow dogs on the course or not.

Great I thought. How uncontroversial. How wrong was I! People were crying and ranting and raving and everything over these two agenda items because apparently allowing people to not have to dress as a tour pro and allowing people to play the course with their mutt in tow would mean the end of times as we know it!! 😄

I mean, four putts, losing $10 golf balls, losing really really expensive tees, chunking chips 2 yards...yeah not a problem but the second one talks about lowering dress standards its like the end of the world as if this one thing will definitely impact your playing handicap by making it instantly 20 shots worse! 🤪

• Funny 2

Mailman

2 hours ago, mailman said:

The last club AGM I went to had two items of interest to me, one being clothing on the course and the other being whether to allow dogs on the course or not.

Great I thought. How uncontroversial. How wrong was I! People were crying and ranting and raving and everything over these two agenda items because apparently allowing people to not have to dress as a tour pro and allowing people to play the course with their mutt in tow would mean the end of times as we know it!! 😄

I mean, four putts, losing $10 golf balls, losing really really expensive tees, chunking chips 2 yards...yeah not a problem but the second one talks about lowering dress standards its like the end of the world as if this one thing will definitely impact your playing handicap by making it instantly 20 shots worse! 🤪

976344a68f7039d74e150b1844acce785834cff94d647da4ab223d3b9553be57_1.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 1

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

The club I belong to is basically collared shirt (tucked in) and shorts or long pants but not jeans or cargo style. I don’t have a problem with this because let’s be honest, no one wants to see most middle aged golfers wearing t-shirts, tank tops, etc.

Sort of like business casual. One person I work with said “if it’s what you’d wear to clean out your garage, that’s not business casual”

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2+

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

5 hours ago, mailman said:

The last club AGM I went to ...

"AGM"?

5 hours ago, mailman said:

... apparently allowing people to not have to dress as a tour pro and allowing people to play the course with their mutt in tow would mean the end of times as we know it!! 😄

Personally, I feel there's an intangible benefit to certain minimum standards of dress on the course.  I feel it lends a degree of respectability to the game not unlike the Broken Windows Theory Of Criminology many believe leads to lowered crime rates.  (And, yes: I understand it's a highly-debated theory.)

As for the dogs: I don't believe they belong on the course.  Period.  I like dogs.  I like all animals.  But, if you can't go anywhere without your dog, well, perhaps you should just stay home with your dog?

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, SEMI_Duffer said:

Personally, I feel there's an intangible benefit to certain minimum standards of dress on the course.  I feel it lends a degree of respectability to the game not unlike the Broken Windows Theory Of Criminology many believe leads to lowered crime rates.  (And, yes: I understand it's a highly-debated theory.)

As for the dogs: I don't believe they belong on the course.  Period.  I like dogs.  I like all animals.  But, if you can't go anywhere without your dog, well, perhaps you should just stay home with your dog?

I agree and I agree.

We all know the difference between "A Nice Course" and a 9-hole Muni hosting a beer league. There are courses I've playing on which cargo shorts would be totally acceptable. There are other courses where it's not. There once was a time in history when we could rely on people to recognize the difference. Not any more. Today we have to spell out everything to a ridiculous level of clarity. And of course being very careful not to exclude anyone or, now that I think about it, include anyone for that matter. 

As for dogs. Just stop it. We have enough issues with slow play without people bringing their dogs on the course. 

Somebody is bound to chime in with "Well, my dog is really well behaved and I can play just as quickly with my dog with me." First of all, no you can't. Second of all, even if you could, nearly everyone else can't. Have you met most dog owners? Their dogs are barely controllable in any social situation. As mentioned above we can no longer leave it up to people to recognize when their dog is well-behaved enough to bring on the course and when they are not.

Besides its bad enough that people now get to bring their dogs into restaurants and grocery stores just because they went on Amazon and bought them a "Therapy Dog" vest. When did this whole "I can't go anywhere without my therapy dog" trend start? Get over it. Leave your dog at home. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I have a headwear question.

I have started to wear bandanas around my head (but not on the course yet) and realized how much more functional they are than caps.

• Absorb sweat better than a cap
  • Easy to clean (especially compared to a cap)
  • Cheap ($ vs $$$ for caps)
  • Easy to carry multiple ones to change out
  • Keeps the sun off head (when tied as a skull cap)
  • Cool (head doesn't overheat)

Combine a bandana with a pair of sunglasses and it's much more functional (and practical) than a golf cap.

But is it proper golf attire? Or is it like cargo pants: functional but not golf?

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Talldog said:

I have started to wear bandanas around my head (but not on the course yet) and realized how much more functional they are than caps.

Combine a bandana with a pair of sunglasses and it's much more functional (and practical) than a golf cap.

But is it proper golf attire? Or is it like cargo pants: functional but not golf?

spacer.pngspacer.png

I would say yes. It’s protecting your head. I would not wear it because I like to shade my eyes, but why not.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
7 hours ago, SEMI_Duffer said:

Probably good for a different topic.

I don't think a bandana qualifies as proper headwear, but… I don't really care that much, and it's more what I'd wear than what I care about what other people wear.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 hours ago, Talldog said:

spacer.pngspacer.png

I wear bandanas all the time, been shaving my head for about 15 years now and need something to protect it. You are absolutely correct on many of your points

• Thumbs Up 1

Colin P.

But why the mystery?

proper golf attire required, but then never say what constitutes “proper golf attire?

golf has rules but does anyone really know what they mean, or why, it’s all very mysterious!

how can you hit a ball out of a bunker without grounding your club?

is ok for men to wear ladies golf attire? It’s “proper golf attire”!

lady golfers! That’s a whole nother rabbit hole!

thanks 

• Booooooooo 1

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, sixiron said:

But why the mystery?

It's not that mysterious, and "proper" attire can vary by the course, the location… etc.

18 minutes ago, sixiron said:

golf has rules but does anyone really know what they mean, or why, it’s all very mysterious!

how can you hit a ball out of a bunker without grounding your club?

Off topic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, sixiron said:

But why the mystery?

There isn't a mystery. Golf attire has been well known for decades. 

proper golf attire required, but then never say what constitutes “proper golf attire?

If you are in violation, you will find out. It isn't rocket science. 

Now you are just trolling. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Tolling? I was unformed that this is a discussion forum and therefore we are all trolling!

Thanks 

BTW: are the three stooges wearing “proper golf attire? Are knickers required?

Must we wear a funny hat?

or is that unorthodox?

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, sixiron said:

Tolling? I was unformed that this is a discussion forum and therefore we are all trolling!

That's not how that works.

3 minutes ago, sixiron said:

BTW: are the three stooges wearing “proper golf attire? Are knickers required?

Must we wear a funny hat?

or is that unorthodox?

Pretty sure your clown outfit wouldn't be proper golf attire.

And… paragraphs, dude. Final request.

On 6/15/2023 at 4:16 PM, SEMI_Duffer said:

"AGM"?

AGM - Annual General Meeting, when a very small number of members, who can be bothered, show up to listen to management tell them all the wonderful things that have happened over the year and why this years membership fees are going up by another xx % 😉

As for dress sense, these change and have changed over time. No one plays in a a three piece suit anymore (thank god!) or plus-fours and I can guarantee you, back then playing in shorts would have killed off half the membership at one of those respectable golf clubs 😁 

The issue I have is with people who feel me wearing shorts will adversely impact their game to the point they can no longer hit the ball like a golfer 🤪

• Thumbs Up 1

Mailman

On 6/15/2023 at 9:08 AM, ChiTown said:

The club I belong to is basically collared shirt (tucked in) and shorts or long pants but not jeans or cargo style. I don’t have a problem with this because let’s be honest, no one wants to see most middle aged golfers wearing t-shirts, tank tops, etc.

Sort of like business casual. One person I work with said “if it’s what you’d wear to clean out your garage, that’s not business casual”

I do not have an issue with requiring a tucked in shirt. My issues is my shirt never stays tucked in. 
For someone like me, who has a well crafted beer belly, when I rotate like a golf swing requires, there is no belt that can hold that shirt in!
So by the 3rd hole, I just give up and go untucked.
Luckily I do not play courses nice enough to require me to tuck or get tossed!

On 6/17/2023 at 7:27 PM, sixiron said:

I think this is a slippery slope and although a discussion worth having. I just don't know that we are the people to have it!
With that being said, If anyone wants bring me to a super fancy golf club, I will wear a skirt.
Then we can see which gets me thrown out first, my trash golf game, or my hideous legs!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride