IGNORED

Etiquette Violations (and Other Things) That Bug You

iacas

I'm not sure this fits exactly in this thread, but it seems to.

My question is simple: Why don't people fix their ball marks anymore? 
The course where I play my Monday Night League is full of guys who I think should know better, but for what ever reason don't fix their ball marks on the green.

WHY? 
Personally, I like fixing ball marks. If I make a ball mark that means I've hit the green. I want people to look up and see me fixing my ball mark. It makes me "look like" I know what I'm doing. Even if I don't. ... 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

The course where I play my Monday Night League is full of guys who I think should know better, but for what ever reason don't fix their ball marks on the green.

WHY? 
Personally, I like fixing ball marks. If I make a ball mark that means I've hit the green. I want people to look up and see me fixing my ball mark. It makes me "look like" I know what I'm doing. Even if I don't. ... 

Laziness? That's about all I can think of.

I always fix mine and if I see another one or two in the general area walking around to read my putt I'll fix them too. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood
Irons: :titleist: U505 (3)  :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :titleist: ProV1x Left Dash

12 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

They’re probably the same people that complain about how messed up the greens are.

3 minutes ago, klineka said:

Laziness? That's about all I can think of.

I always fix mine and if I see another one or two in the general area walking around to read my putt I'll fix them too. 

Same, here. I usually fix two or three marks at a time, this way I’m net positive.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

17 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

A busy cocktail of apathy, indifference, lack of ownership.... and then throw in a dash of entitlement to top it off. Ya know, the usual ingredients.

• Thumbs Up 2

Vishal S.

14 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

A busy cocktail of apathy, indifference, lack of ownership.... and then throw in a dash of entitlement to top it off. Ya know, the usual ingredients.

I think the popularity of watching youtube golf shorts may also play into it. Very rarely, if ever, do you see a golf influencer fix their ball marks. Perhaps that's part of it. 

I know it bugs me. 

Like many others I always fix a few extra ones when I'm on the green. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I think the popularity of watching youtube golf shorts may also play into it. Very rarely, if ever, do you see a golf influencer fix their ball marks. Perhaps that's part of it. 

To be fair, I don't watch golf YouTube videos to watch guys fix pitch marks, I watch to see the content/golf so it makes sense that stuff like that gets edited out.

You don't see them replace/sand divots either but I'm sure they do. (At least the ones I watch that are very high level golfers. Bryan Bros, Grant Horvat, Peter Finch, etc)

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood
Irons: :titleist: U505 (3)  :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :titleist: ProV1x Left Dash

7 minutes ago, klineka said:

To be fair, I don't watch golf YouTube videos to watch guys fix pitch marks, I watch to see the content/golf so it makes sense that stuff like that gets edited out.

You don't see them replace/sand divots either but I'm sure they do. (At least the ones I watch that are very high level golfers. Bryan Bros, Grant Horvat, Peter Finch, etc)

Yeah, that's fair. 

I'm not sure what the solution is. 

I do remember "back in the day" when the ranger would remind you to fix your ball marks. I don't see that anymore either. 

I guess my point is. I grew up in a time when fixing your ball mark was "cool". Because it meant you hit the green and made a ball mark. It's just not cool anymore.... which (in my opinion) is too bad. 

(edited)

I believe the golf courses are leaving some opportunities on the table to educate and even insist that folks repair ball marks and fill in divots. They can and should put up signs strategically of what is expected. It may not cure the problem completely but it certainly would raise the level of awareness and improve on the status quo.

Edit: I think the courses should straight up empty threaten folks that they would be asked to leave if found to be leaving ball marks unrepaired. Seriously.

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

4 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

golf influencer

The fact that I live in a world where there is a such a thing as "golf influencer" bugs me!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

4 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Edit: I think the courses should straight up empty threaten folks that they would be asked to leave if found to be leaving ball marks unrepaired. Seriously.

Unfortunately in today's world often times "Transgressions" are overlooked to avoid a potentially violent confrontation.  Just think how many times you hear about road-rage because someone honked a horn at another motorist or someone gets shot over some minor issue.  It would be nice to see them kicked off the course but nobody wants to be the 1 out of a 1000 rangers that gets shot by some stupid jerk.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

37 minutes ago, StuM said:

Unfortunately in today's world often times "Transgressions" are overlooked to avoid a potentially violent confrontation.  Just think how many times you hear about road-rage because someone honked a horn at another motorist or someone gets shot over some minor issue.  It would be nice to see them kicked off the course but nobody wants to be the 1 out of a 1000 rangers that gets shot by some stupid jerk.

I hear you and hence I did say empty threats. Meaning sternly worded signs but no person to person confrontations. The jerks won't care but it does help with the folks who still have an iota of conscience but just don't think it/forget, or get de-sensitized to a point where just like the jerks, they don't care either. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

Sunflower seeds shells on the putting green.

• Thumbs Up 1

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition