IGNORED

Newbie to Shotscope (X5 Watch) — Any Suggestions?

Okay. Based in part on the overwhelming support for ShotScope from this group I purchased a X5.  I just took it out of the box and started charging the watch.  I’ll put the sensors on tmrw and start configuring stuff, and hoping to try them in a round on Wednesday.

So … any tips or suggestions on how best to use the system? Thanks in advance 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2+

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

When I was playing I took the deliberate approach and kept track of the score, putts, distance of the first putt, fairways hit, and GIR.   This seems like a lot of duplicate work but it makes editing the round afterwards on my computer so easy.     After you become more comfortable with the system, you'll breeze thru the process and it will become second nature.  

Congrats on your purchase, you'll enjoy it.

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I have no real experience with the X5. Most of us here have the H4. So, please update with your thoughts, @ChiTown.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• iacas changed the title to Newbie to Shotscope (X5 Watch) — Any Suggestions?
32 minutes ago, ChiTown said:

Okay. Based in part on the overwhelming support for ShotScope from this group I purchased a X5.  I just took it out of the box and started charging the watch.  I’ll put the sensors on tmrw and start configuring stuff, and hoping to try them in a round on Wednesday.

Other than learning how to use it properly and edit your rounds, the best advice I can think of is to be honest with yourself. It is only as good of a tool for improving your game and identifying weaknesses as you allow it to be.

• Thumbs Up 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Getting used to the pin collect feature after holing out on the green took me a few rounds. Once you have the routine down, it will be second nature.

Learn how to navigate the device menus to find features like penalties, changing holes, etc. so you don't have to figure it out on the fly.

The shot detection on the watch is pretty good, but it will occasionally miss a shot, or add an extra shot. Like @dennyjones suggests, either take notes on a scorecard, or edit the round immediately afterward so you can get the details of the round correct. The X5 has a scorekeeping feature, so it will point out discrepancies between score and tracked shots during editing.

• Missed shots tend to happen when two separate shots are in close proximity. A good example would be you are in a bunker, and the first shot doesn't get out of the bunker, so you take a second. Sometimes only one shot is recorded.
  • Added shots happen when you are holding a club in your lead hand so the watch can read the club sensor's RFID chip, and then maybe bump the club on the ground or something so the watch "detects" a shot. This is more infrequent than missed shots.

If you have holes where the green is close to the tee area for the next hole, and maybe you have missed the green near that tee box, the device will think that you have moved on to the next hole, even if you have not finished the current hole.

If you find elements missing from your course, email ShotScope support, and they will update the course map (e.g., tee area is missing, etc.).

• Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

33 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

When I was playing I took the deliberate approach and kept track of the score, putts, distance of the first putt, fairways hit, and GIR.   This seems like a lot of duplicate work but it makes editing the round afterwards on my computer so easy.     After you become more comfortable with the system, you'll breeze thru the process and it will become second nature.  

Congrats on your purchase, you'll enjoy it.

Thanks @dennyjones  for some reason I’ve always also used a traditional scorecard for pretty much the same reasons you’ve described. Plus I had a hard time managing strokes etc on my former system (Garmin CT10) 

11 minutes ago, billchao said:

Other than learning how to use it properly and edit your rounds, the best advice I can think of is to be honest with yourself. It is only as good of a tool for improving your game and identifying weaknesses as you allow it to be.

Thanks @billchao  I’m coming from the CT10 where the data was less helpful than I was expecting. Hoping to see an improvement in this to spot strengths and weaknesses 

2 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

Getting used to the pin collect feature after holing out on the green took me a few rounds. Once you have the routine down, it will be second nature.

Learn how to navigate the device menus to find features like penalties, changing holes, etc. so you don't have to figure it out on the fly.

The shot detection on the watch is pretty good, but it will occasionally miss a shot, or add an extra shot. Like @dennyjones suggests, either take notes on a scorecard, or edit the round immediately afterward so you can get the details of the round correct. The X5 has a scorekeeping feature, so it will point out discrepancies between score and tracked shots during editing.

• Missed shots tend to happen when two separate shots are in close proximity. A good example would be you are in a bunker, and the first shot doesn't get out of the bunker, so you take a second. Sometimes only one shot is recorded.
  • Added shots happen when you are holding a club in your lead hand so the watch can read the club sensor's RFID chip, and then maybe bump the club on the ground or something so the watch "detects" a shot. This is more infrequent than missed shots.

If you have holes where the green is close to the tee area for the next hole, and maybe you have missed the green near that tee box, the device will think that you have moved on to the next hole, even if you have not finished the current hole.

If you find elements missing from your course, email ShotScope support, and they will update the course map (e.g., tee area is missing, etc.).

Thanks @Darkfrog  I paid closer attention to the videos and will look at the manual carefully. The pin collect feature will be very new to me 

I just ordered the X5 the other day. I had forgotten about it actually. With the H4, and I assume no different with the X5, the only thing you have to pay attention, for me any ways, is if your ball is close to the fringe on the fairway it might show in the round data as rough. Same goes the other way around. I've noticed it on greens too. If you are within a foot or two either way just double check when you review the round. Now get some Snell balls and Fairway Fuel bars. LOL 

• Thumbs Up 1

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 Fairway  :titleist: TSR 4 Hy. T-300 5-PW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:scotty_cameron: Newport Select 2 (2022 model) 

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

• Administrator
9 hours ago, snapfade said:

I just ordered the X5 the other day. I had forgotten about it actually. With the H4, and I assume no different with the X5, the only thing you have to pay attention, for me any ways, is if your ball is close to the fringe on the fairway it might show in the round data as rough. Same goes the other way around. I've noticed it on greens too. If you are within a foot or two either way just double check when you review the round.

Yeah, what's nice about the ShotScope is that you don't have to move the dot around until it shows the correct lie, you can just select it from the drop-down menu. If a map is outdated and they added some width to the fairway, or removed a bunker and replaced it with rough, on some other systems you had to move your dot many yards away to get it to recognize the correct lie type.

• Informative 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

15 hours ago, ChiTown said:

Did you use the code and save 45 bucks? 

• Confused 1

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 Fairway  :titleist: TSR 4 Hy. T-300 5-PW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

• 2 weeks later...

First off thanks to everyone who suggested the ShotScope. I’ve only played a few rounds but I’m already seeing the potential that ShotScope has to offer. One quick Q

After my last round I noticed that the system recorded the wrong club for one of my shots. I figured out how to edit the club post round which was great. But I’m wondering what can I do while I’m on the course to reduce the risk of recording the wrong club or how do I correct to the right club?

Thanks in advance 

• Thumbs Up 1

• iacas changed the title to ShotScope Sensor Question - Newbie User
26 minutes ago, ChiTown said:

First off thanks to everyone who suggested the ShotScope. I’ve only played a few rounds but I’m already seeing the potential that ShotScope has to offer. One quick Q

After my last round I noticed that the system recorded the wrong club for one of my shots. I figured out how to edit the club post round which was great. But I’m wondering what can I do while I’m on the course to reduce the risk of recording the wrong club or how do I correct to the right club?

Thanks in advance 

That's a new one to me, I have never had that problem. Did you miss a shot by chance and you thought it picked up the wrong club or did you touch it to the sensor and it registered it as a different club? Dumb question, is the sensor in the right club?  When I went from my D9's to Titleist and then back I screwed the wrong sensor into a wedge, but I caught it on the spot. I'm curious on this one.

11 minutes ago, snapfade said:

That's a new one to me, I have never had that problem. Did you miss a shot by chance and you thought it picked up the wrong club or did you touch it to the sensor and it registered it as a different club? Dumb question, is the sensor in the right club?  When I went from my D9's to Titleist and then back I screwed the wrong sensor into a wedge, but I caught it on the spot. I'm curious on this one.

@snapfade I’m positive that the sensors are on the right clubs … double checked it. Haha. I’m trying to recall if I picked up one club, then decided to change clubs. I’ll need to pay more attention to it. I remember people saying it will miss a shot, but that wasn’t the case here. 

I need to pay a bit more attention and see if I can avoid the error or figure out how I’m creating it. 

3 hours ago, ChiTown said:

But I’m wondering what can I do while I’m on the course to reduce the risk of recording the wrong club or how do I correct to the right club?

The watch will tell you what tag it detected if you take a practice swing and look at the watch. However, I think what you are describing is just a random software artifact. At least for me, I’ll occasionally have a shot tagged as 5W, and I haven’t carried a 5W since 2019/2020. 

• Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

If I decide to change clubs after tagging, I just tag the second club and edit later. You get to the point of not remembering that you tagged because it’s just part of your routine. Sometimes I double tag the driver if there’s a long wait by accident. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
32 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

If I decide to change clubs after tagging, I just tag the second club and edit later. You get to the point of not remembering that you tagged because it’s just part of your routine. Sometimes I double tag the driver if there’s a long wait by accident. 

I think the watches auto tag.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

I am strongly considering an X5 and will likely get one soon since I am getting sick of Taylormade's lack of investment in their MyRoundPro/MyTaylormade+ app specifically the watch version.

Just an FYI to anyone considering the X5 they suggest for the auto tagging to work the best that right handed golfers wear the watch on their left hand and left handed golfers wear it on their right hand.

I am a bit of an outlier as I am left handed in everything I do except for golf, so my everyday watch is on my right hand. I reached out to Shotscope about this and they said that they recommend I wear the watch on my right wrist but go into the settings and tell the watch that I'm a left handed golfer. They said since it still might miss some of the auto tagging shots that I could just tap the club to the watch strap as part of my preshot routine and it would ensure the shot gets tagged. That is perfectly fine for me since part of my preshot routine currently involved rotating the bezel to select the appropriate club with MyRoundPro so I am already used to manually tagging the shot.

I am used to wearing a watch when I play and having the yardages on my wrist which is why I am leaning towards this over something like the H4.

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :titleist: ProV1x Left Dash

6 minutes ago, klineka said:

Theysaid since it still might miss some of the auto tagging shots that I could just tap the club to the watch strap as part of my preshot routine and it would ensure the shot gets tagged. 

I am used to wearing a watch when I play and having the yardages on my wrist which is why I am leaning towards this over something like the H4.

@klineka thanks for the tip. I’ll definitely tap the sensor to the watch even though it auto tags.

As the OP I can tell you that while I’ve only played a few rounds, the X5 and the ShotScope program is so much better than my Garmin/CT10 setup. Enjoy!

Edited by ChiTown