IGNORED

2024 TST Birdie Challenge

iacas

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, billchao said:

How do we count 9-hole rounds?

Today I eagled #2 at Hyatt Hills (tees were way up for some reason, played at 400y instead of the usual 480). I thinned the drive over the bunker which was my intended line and hit a flighted 8i from 150 with a crosswind to 6'. Honestly too short for a par 5, but still a legit 3. Also birdied the #4 hole which was playing at true par 5 distance. Hit a drive onto the left side of the fairway 250 off the tee, then hit a 2h from 230 to 20'. Missed the putt by 6" but I will never complain about a tap-in birdie. Or a tap-in par, for that matter.

Isn't it just that you played nine holes, and they're numbers 1 through 9?

If you played the same nine twice, and the course only has nine holes… from the same tees… I'd still think that's just holes 1-9. 😄 

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, iacas said:

Isn't it just that you played nine holes, and they're numbers 1 through 9?

If you played the same nine twice, and the course only has nine holes… from the same tees… I'd still think that's just holes 1-9. 😄 

Yea that’s how I filled out the sheet. 

I have also been adding my “home course” birdies to the away composite because I don’t actually know that I’ll play 20 rounds there. It’s one of the two courses open in the county right now so I’ve been playing it every week, but once the season gets into full swing I’ll probably play a mix of them.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Birdied #4 today at the home course. Was 70° so… good start to the year.

• Thumbs Up 2

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

13 hours ago, iacas said:

... Was 70° so… good start to the year.

Amen!

Brian Kuehn

(edited)

Added myself to the away course challenge. I only play about 30 rounds a year. While I probably play about 15 rounds at my home course, it's 27 holes, so there really isn't a standard 18 to do. I'm going to do the away course and see how it goes. 

I've played twice this year, and had 3 birdies, so off to a good start. Birdies on 6, 12, and 15 so far.

Edited by DeadMan

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

After 2 months with zero golf and my golf clubs at my parents place, came there Saturday and first touch of my golf clubs was a club tournament on Sunday.  Miserable round though I started to find some game mid way through.  Then played a round yesterday (Tuesday) and another today (Wednesday).  A birdie on 8 yesterday, which is a short 300 yard par 4.  Decent drive and ok PW to about 10 to 15 feet and managed to make the putt.  Bit of luck I suppose but also decent putt.  Then today a birdie on 17.  About 525 or so yard par 5.  Brilliant drive to about 260 or so and a nice 4H of about 210 or so.  Was between the 100 and 50 markers but don't really remember exactly how far from the pin.  Half PW which was perfect and landed inside 5 feet.  Bit of a sidehill breaking putt which I made.

• Thumbs Up 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Picked up 5 birdies (😲) on an away course yesterday. Was hitting my irons exceptionally well and also putted decent. Weather was a big factor as in we were wearing shorts for the first time in about 5 months. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

• Administrator

Added birdies today on #3, #6, and #13.

Had a real good chance on 16 but it lipped out.

2nd round of year at home, 2 birdies and 1 was on probably our hardest hole. Always good to birdie 6.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

• 2 weeks later...

Made birdie on #11 at Spooky Brook today. Flighted 8i into a stiff wind that just got a piece of the green and made a 17’ putt.

I also lipped out a 4’ birdie putt on 15.

• Thumbs Up 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

(edited)

Added birdies on 2, 8, and 9 (twice! but only counts for one in this challenge...) over the past week. Good start to the year.

Edited by DeadMan
  • Thumbs Up 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

AWAY: I am not a birdie machine so it has been nice spreading the action across all 18. Just had my first duplicate on Monday.

HOME: course May open any day now. I hope it does not take too long to get on the board for the Home course.

Brian Kuehn

Knocked another one off, one of our harder par 4’s , dogleg with undulating fairway.

All of the holes on the back nine are similar as it’s an old riverbed. 

Only one to go on the front nine , oddly enough, the one I would probably birdie the most, the only par five with the prevailing wind helping .

Our four par fives are 530 to 550 yards from the front tees.

We still have a reasonable amount of summer run, and despite being on the upslope of the green in two twice last week it still eludes me. ;-) 

• Thumbs Up 1

Made birdie on #3 at Green Knoll today. There was a strong right to left wind so I started the ball over the right edge of the right bunker and let it draw/ride the wind in, ended up 4’ past a front pin.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Got my 4th birdie of the year today - lead off birdie on Hole #1.  The rest of the round was the typical nGIR scramble for par type of day.  Have managed to par all the holes on the course - which this early in the year is pretty solid for me.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

• Administrator

Played an away course today, and… let me think… birdied #12 at least. I may have birdied one or two others but that wasn't the game we were playing, so…

And I already had #12, so… oh well.

Played my first round of the year and bogeyed the first 8 holes but birdied 9. Short par 3 where I hit a flighted 9 iron to 5 feet.

• Thumbs Up 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

Birdied (at an away course, Talamore) #4 (duplicate), #7 (new), #11 (new)… and that was it. But two new ones is good.

• Thumbs Up 2