IGNORED

23 Under Texas Scramble!

CasperGolf

We had a Texas Scramble Today. The winning score was 23 under (49). The 4 players are new members with ‘official WHS handicaps’. The combined handicap allowance was 17. All their handicaps were in the 20’s. They won by 7 shots. We have never had a score like this before and it’s widely viewed as BS. The wind was blowing hard and conditions weren’t favourable either. 
Has anyone come across a score/situation like this before?

Does this mean they shot 6 under and with the handicap scored 23 under? Forgive my lack of understanding of the scoring. Just trying to understand the situation. 

(edited)

I have to say I've never played in a handicapped scramble before. I've played a few scrambles but sometimes they've been were teams are selected to distribute good and bad players or it's flighted. 6 under par in a scramble doesn't feel like a ton. 

Edited by ChetlovesMer

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 under in a team of four high handicap golfers seems kind of sketch.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

It does not seem too far out of line other than you indicated a lot of wind which may make it less likely.  With 4 putts on every hole there is a good chance of dropping a few long puts and rarely 3 putting so even much HCP may score well if the can get on or near the green in Regulation.

I’ve never seen a handicapped scramble so the -29 seems absurd but co  up of be in line.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

A gross 6 under for a scramble is not that good. I would buy it. Our gross winning score is usually 17-18 under. First time I've heard of a handicapped scramble.

Vishal S.

• Administrator
15 hours ago, TomR13 said:

Does this mean they shot 6 under and with the handicap scored 23 under? Forgive my lack of understanding of the scoring. Just trying to understand the situation. 

Six under in a scramble doesn't seem too bad, I agree.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Their handicap Allowance looked to be around 15-20%, which jives with the USGA recommended allowances. 

image.png

Its somewhere in the range. 

It seems to be an optimal score for that team makeup but pending the course not something crazy. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 2 weeks later...

My guess is next year (or next Texas Scramble) there is going to be a maximum team handicap. There are 20 handicappers who can hit a fair number of good shots. Four of them working together obviously can go low now and then.

• Thumbs Up 1

Brian Kuehn

Scramble is a game of good shots, not misses like normal golf. They can be 20 handicapers but if all of them are pretty long of the tee and were lucky to at least one of them hit a decent shot on each shot, then 6 under is a posibility... small one but can happend. 

Anytime you are sending teams out to play golf unsupervised you are always going to have these questions. 

You either have to trust the people playing in the event, not take it too seriously or find a different format.