IGNORED

The Players Championship

BASHERBAKER69
Note: This thread is 5834 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

And the best acceptance speech ever....I'd like to thank Tiger for not being here.....lol

I didn't see this, as I turned it off after the win (not in disgust, I just had other things to do). Did he really say that? If so, awesome.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He did indeed really say that. Cool for sure, and he made a decent acceptance speech altogether. I'm happy for him. He's learned (i.e. matured) a lot in the last few years and he's sure earned the big win. I love to watch this guy up close - what touch, what passion (in the Spanish tradition, no? ...)

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

But none of those players gave any indication that they could beat Tiger, their games just aren't nearly as sharp, and Sergio was right to thank Tiger for not being there, that's the truth.

You're kidding right!?! Woods is lucky if he hits 50%, and would have been a non-factor. Sergio hit around 80% of the fairways, and greens at the TPC. Immelman proved he is a much better ball striker than Woods at the Masters, and Garcia showed his supperior ball striking skills (ranking first in driving accuracy and GIR) at the Players Championship.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

Agreed, he was hitting the ball really well. He is phenomenal off the tee and his wedge game is really strong too. It was cool to see him win, it was his time and he deserved it! his putter finally didn't let him down on the back nine. Congrats on great playing by Goydos too. He had 30-something putts less then sergio, and that kept him alive.
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

You're kidding right!?! Woods is lucky if he hits 50%, and would have been a non-factor. Sergio hit around 80% of the fairways, and greens at the TPC. Immelman proved he is a much better ball striker than Woods at the Masters, and Garcia showed his supperior ball striking skills (ranking first in driving accuracy and GIR) at the Players Championship.

Sergio putts like Helen Keller and has a very average short game. Woods also has the strongest mental game on tour.

I'd be quaking in my boots facing half the challenges Paul Goydos met and overcame today, and he was laughing and joking with his caddy the entire time.

No doubt Tiger has the best mental game in golf, but man, I was really impressed with a lot of the guys I watched play this tournament.

Great tournament and great play by Sergio, Goydos and Quinney. Sergio played great, actually made a putt on 18, and deserved to win. I was impressed with Goydos as well. I see a lot of people in here saying they are happy for Sergio... I bet I could scroll back to a few threads not too long ago when everyone hated him. Anyways, he hit the ball great and as I said deserved it. As for him maturing, I will hold judgement and see how he acts the next time he loses a close one.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

yea he said it haha. sergios really muturing since teaming up with stan utley. good playing serg!
-WITB- USGA Index - 1.5
------------------------
Driver --Titleist 907D2 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Blueboard
F.W. --Titleist 906F4 15.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Blueboard
Irons --Mizuno MP-57 - Project X 6.0Wedges --Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54* 58* - Dynamic Gold X100Putter --Cameron...

Don't you mean Immelman proved he WAS a better ball striker at thge masters. He is not a better ball striker overall, and he is not a better ball striker at the masters tournament in general, he may have been just this year.

I don't think you can say outright that woods would have been a non-factor, he is the best player in the world, and his presence alone makes many of the players play worse than usual, what he loses in terms of fairways hit, he makes up for everywhere else so i don't think he would have been a non factor. I am over the moon for Sergio, i really enjoy watching him play, and although he has had his indiscretions he is undoubtedly one of the most gifted golfers around at the moment. Hopefully working with utley has got his putting back on track and a major will be just around the corner.

Driver - 905r 9.5* with UST Proforce VT Stiff
3 Wood - SQ 3+ 13* with Grafallloy prolaunch blue Stiff
5 Wood - SQ 5* 19 with Aldila NV65 stiff
Irons - MP 67 3 + 5-PW 2deg Up + 1/2" with DG S300 shaft.
Wedges - SV 52/10 with true temper s400 BV Spin Milled 56/10 Wedge Flex BV Spin Milled 60/04...

Not a "Serg" fan, but what a friggin shot on 17.

Goes for me too

Great tournament and great play by Sergio, Goydos and Quinney. Sergio played great, actually made a putt on 18, and deserved to win. I was impressed with Goydos as well. I see a lot of people in here saying they are happy for Sergio... I bet I could scroll back to a few threads not too long ago when everyone hated him. Anyways, he hit the ball great and as I said deserved it. As for him maturing, I will hold judgement and see how he acts the next time he

I am one that has dogged him for his behavior in the past, but I saw a different Sergio during this tournament. Before the weekend, he actually admitted he missed some putts he should have hit...and I never saw him blame anyone else. In other words, he owned it. I hope he keeps it up.

His ballstriking is always tremendous, but this weekend he made some clutch putts to go with all those fairways and greens. He is obviously trying very hard to work out his putting issues with Utley and so far it seems to be working. I would love for him to continue improve his putting (and his attitude) and become the force on Tour that everyone has always said he could be. If he reverts back to the whiny brat that he has shown he can be, I'll still dog him.
Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

• Administrator
I see a lot of people in here saying they are happy for Sergio... I bet I could scroll back to a few threads not too long ago when everyone hated him. .... As for him maturing, I will hold judgement and see how he acts the next time he

Ditto on the close one, and I'm not saying I like him suddenly, now.

yea he said it haha. sergios really muturing since teaming up with stan utley. good playing serg!

He still putted horribly all week. He entered the third round 74th out of 74 in putting, but first in GIR and driving. GIR and Putting are usually around 70% of a player's success in a tournament.

Sergio's always been a great ball-striker. This week his ballstriking was so good it overcame his putter.
Don't you mean Immelman proved he WAS a better ball striker at thge masters. He is not a better ball striker overall, and he is not a better ball striker at the masters tournament in general, he may have been just this year.

Yeah, agreed. I wasn't sure how to respond to the earlier comment. You did so better than I'd have.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Im surprised that Sergio is as bad a putter as he is- most Spaniards are known for their chipping and putting abilities due to the hard boney greens that there are in certain parts of Spain and the climate- making precision and touch a trademark.

Looking at JM Olazabal, Seve Ballesteros- its not hard to make that assumption. In a way, im surpised he doesnt talk to these two characters and get some advice on his stroke and holing out. If he could learn to do that, he could be a top 5 player easily. In my experience, if the short game is in tune and comfortable, the rest of the game feeds off this with confidence...and im sure that if he could address this problem, he could challenge Tiger and Co on a regular basis.

The only problem I've ever had with Sergio was spitting in the cup. That was just gross.

Last year, when he had the "woe is me" attitude after losing the British Open was not as bad as it seemed. He had a putt go off the lip that would have won it. He also had the misfortune of hitting the flag stick and having the ball run. Those things happen. Combine that along with being in that predicament to begin with (even if it was his own doing) and losing, well, I don't believe many people would be chipper during an interview. Could he have handled it better? Possibly. However, it's always those that have never done or ever been in that situation that rip people for not checking their emotions.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

I have not been a Sergio fan in the past and I am not jumping on the Sergio Band Wagon, however I enjoyed watching him this week and actually wanted him to win for some strange reason. I felt like he held himself exceptionally well all week and didnt whine and complain about every missed shot. He was a very gracious winner. You could tell he was very happy to be in the spotlight. He had to work really hard to win this one and it is nice to see him make some putts when it mattered.
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

And the best acceptance speech ever....I'd like to thank Tiger for not being here.....lol

That quote WAS awesome...for about 30 seconds...until he proceeded to sell out by making his acceptance speech a Taylor Made commercial...ughh, I'd prefer that hot chick in his Michelob commercial - 'nothing like a nice up and down' ;)

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

Ditto on the close one, and I'm not saying I like him suddenly, now.

yea but he won it on sunday with his putter...the putts on 5, 9, 11, 12, 14, and 18

-WITB- USGA Index - 1.5
------------------------
Driver --Titleist 907D2 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Blueboard
F.W. --Titleist 906F4 15.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Blueboard
Irons --Mizuno MP-57 - Project X 6.0Wedges --Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54* 58* - Dynamic Gold X100Putter --Cameron...

Note: This thread is 5834 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!