IGNORED

Ian Poulter - Ass

iacas
Note: This thread is 2018 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

7 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

Yes but consist behavior keeps bringing it back. The twitter rages, etc.

Like I said, everyone has a different way of dealing with things. I may not agree with some either but if they are not abusing anyone or breaking stuff I am indifferent.

I don't mind his intensity here but appreciate it.

Everyone has adversity but it never seems like he is absent of the chip on his shoulder. He acts like anyone watching him or taking his picture when he is playing bad is against him. If he let his performance speak for him, he would be better appreciated. He often just comes off hateful.

He comes off hateful to YOU. Not everyone. I like him and Sergio a lot. Two guys who have a little fire in their belly. (and yes, as mentioned above Tiger and Jordan are the same way.) Always find it amusing when guys who love to argue their points heatedly in a thread get upset at players who get heated on the course.   

• Like 2

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

Yea let's let him rape and pillage since he is good at golf. 

If you equate swearing with rape... the issues may well be with you, not Poulter.

3 hours ago, GrandStranded said:

I like him and Sergio a lot. Two guys who have a little fire in their belly. (and yes, as mentioned above Tiger and Jordan are the same way.) Always find it amusing when guys who love to argue their points heatedly in a thread get upset at players who get heated on the course.   

There are so many rigid, boring sportspeople that never reveal any human side, and their interviews are just dull repeats of the same interview the week before; Poulter at least speaks with a bit of honesty.  I read his book and have rooted for him ever since; its great to see someone who had a long, difficult route into professional golf keeping it going for decades (and playing as well now, in his 40s, as he has for years). 

And, to reiterate, that 2012 Ryder Cup really was special... 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I am happy Poulter is back at the high level he is playing and hope he will play in the Rydercup. As far as I’m concerend he is not an ass. Think this goes for most european.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

Yes but consist behavior keeps bringing it back. The twitter rages, etc

To be fair he is outspoken, there is a some good insight offered too, but yes, an awful lot of his content certainly comes across as unnecessarily bitter, agreed, the public slating of a younger tour pro in Matsuyama, with little grasp of the language (at the time) highlights the side I'd like to see less of. 

Like I said, everyone has a different way of dealing with things. I may not agree with some either but if they are not abusing anyone or breaking stuff I am indifferent.

Not sure how clearly I made my initial point, but taking him at his word that he was muttering about himself, I think this particular incident is not as much a case of Poulter being annoyed at the marshal not gifting him an improved lie, there may be an element of 'the boy that cried wolf', for sure. Tbh, I think my saying I like people less as a result of 3rd person scoldings is even ott. It may slightly irk me at the time, but again once the ire is directed at the 3rd person and not a 3rd party, each to their own.

He acts like anyone watching him or taking his picture when he is playing bad is against him. If he let his performance speak for him, he would be better appreciated. He often just comes off hateful.

I said salty initially, though I guess hateful is a more extreme version of a similar thing. He could defo do with a PR touch up, but at times I suspect a near siege-mentality ploy is employed, something that is a big part of the soccer culture he grew up heavily involved in. Either way, no excuse for a lot of his behavior, just seems what precedes this particular incident has led to some conclusion leaping. I must say, great place for some (gently heated) debate. 👌

9 hours ago, GrandStranded said:

He comes off hateful to YOU. Not everyone. I like him and Sergio a lot. Two guys who have a little fire in their belly. (and yes, as mentioned above Tiger and Jordan are the same way.) Always find it amusing when guys who love to argue their points heatedly in a thread get upset at players who get heated on the course.   

Not just to me. I don't really care how he acts on the golf course. The fire is fine. Sergio is fine but he is also a pretty decent guy off the course. To me Poulter portrays himself as a angry victim. Sorry but you are wrong about getting upset about seeing players get heated up on the course, I'm fine with it. 

4 hours ago, arab_joe said:
21 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

Yea let's let him rape and pillage since he is good at golf. 

If you equate swearing with rape... the issues may well be with you, not Poulter

No but you were pretty much stating that you were fine with anything he does because he was a Ryder cup hero. 

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

9 hours ago, GrandStranded said:

He seems that way to me as well. Poulter differs from Sergio, Tiger, Jordan or any other player who shows emotion on the course because he will take it the extra step and berate the fan or marshal in public. Sergio has got much more abuse from fans than Poulter and not done that. Even if he thinks he does it to himself, Poulter comes across as going after fans and course workers. 

I don't think @Valleygolfer has a problem with 'fire on the course' at all. I don't. But Tiger, Jordan, Reed all take it out on themselves not fans or marshals or rules officials.  It is when Poulter spews that fire at bystanders that is the real issue.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

18 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

No but you were pretty much stating that you were fine with anything he does because he was a Ryder cup hero. 

Come on... I said that I would give Poulter the benefit of the doubt when it came to swearing to himself/a marshal.  Even in the event the marshal was correct in asserting that the profanity was directed at him, it is hardly a grievous crime... and anyone who moans about swearing whilst standing on a golf course in Scotland is going to be in for a shock :pound:

I'm always going to be impressed by a guy who goes from working in a pro shop in his early 20s to winning on the PGA Tour in his 40s (including recovering from dropping down below 200 in the world in early 2017).

I believe he may be the next guest on David Feherty's talk show, so (if you're so inclined) you can judge his character a bit more from that. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Come on... I said that I would give Poulter the benefit of the doubt when it came to swearing to himself/a marshal.  Even in the event the marshal was correct in asserting that the profanity was directed at him, it is hardly a grievous crime... and anyone who moans about swearing whilst standing on a golf course in Scotland is going to be in for a shock :pound:

I'm always going to be impressed by a guy who goes from working in a pro shop in his early 20s to winning on the PGA Tour in his 40s (including recovering from dropping down below 200 in the world in early 2017).

I believe he may be the next guest on David Feherty's talk show, so (if you're so inclined) you can judge his character a bit more from that. 

No, you didn't. You just stated that you would look the other way for his actions. Secondly, BFD. There's a lot of people who made it from humble beginnings to become successful without the reputation of being pompous and nasty to people. Third, I will probably watch Feherty at some point even though I doubt a scenario will arise on the show that could illicit a scripted angry rant but you never know with Poulter, right? 

• Administrator
5 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Come on... I said that I would give Poulter the benefit of the doubt when it came to swearing to himself/a marshal.

I too gave Ian Poulter the benefit of the doubt. Multiple times. But eventually, he broke through, and then continued to march onward down that path. He's a nasty, nasty fella. It wasn't just having a bad day once or twice.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Anyone ever hang out at Lake Nona? You can find out anything you need to know about Poulter from staff/guests/members.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

3 hours ago, Bucki1968 said:

Anyone ever hang out at Lake Nona? You can find out anything you need to know about Poulter from staff/guests/members.

Come on you can't give us that comment and leave us hanging?!?!  🙂 What do they say?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

2 hours ago, scotth said:

Come on you can't give us that comment and leave us hanging?!?!  🙂 What do they say?

I don’t think I’m going to comment on what other people say because I have no personal experience. I have not heard much that has been flattering. But I have obviously not heard from everybody at lake Nona.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

8 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

No, you didn't. You just stated that you would look the other way for his actions. Secondly, BFD. There's a lot of people who made it from humble beginnings to become successful without the reputation of being pompous and nasty to people. Third, I will probably watch Feherty at some point even though I doubt a scenario will arise on the show that could illicit a scripted angry rant but you never know with Poulter, right? 

So you made an angry rant about a guy because of his angry rant.

Got it.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

6 hours ago, turtleback said:

So you made an angry rant about a guy because of his angry rant.

Got it.

You think so? I'm not angry. I just clarified my point. I'm not sure why you are here. What's your problem or point?

On 5/29/2008 at 11:58 PM, young_gun_921 said:

why do you care so much that you wrote a huge post about it? big deal ian got pissed off. i would get pissed too if a guy was taking pictures while i was putting.

I don't see it as well? Then again to each his own...

Colorful cat. I had a chance to walk the fairway with him in an Cadillac exhibition at the Glen GC, Glenview IL. Extremely talented player. I personally found the initial 5 hr impression of him positive, he came across competitive and a decent guy. We all get'm, might of had a moment where he lost an edge.

• Like 1

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, PeterB said:

We all get'm, might of had a moment where he lost an edge.

I’ve personally seen almost twenty of those “moments.” And I’m not counting TV.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Erik I gather you have your calendar market so not miss his interview on Feherty then? ha!307[1].gif

Joking. He was miked the entire time during that clinic I spoke off. Loving the game, it was cool to hear his English accent, personality, take on different shots, stories and stuff. Not to mention we have got to give him some credit, can't argue his good taste in Italian sports cars 😄

Have a good weekend gentlemen.

Edited by PeterB

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 1:13 PM, Valleygolfer said:

No, you didn't. You just stated that you would look the other way for his actions. Secondly, BFD.  

I said I would give him the benefit of the doubt in a direct reply to a post about him swearing at himself/under his breath at Carnoustie... which I stand by.  Although there may be many examples of him acting unreasonably, this doesn't seem to be one.  Those seeking to bash him will have to keep looking!

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 4:05 AM, Valleygolfer said:

You think so? I'm not angry. I just clarified my point. 

I'm not sure why you are here. What's your problem or point?

:unsure:

Note: This thread is 2018 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!