IGNORED

help get rid of this out-to-in swing path...

Note: This thread is 5780 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

recently i've developed a fade with my 6i all the way up to my driver.
i think its cause of a out to in swing path i picked up. i want to get rid of it. i think i've been over swinging and its been causing this change. any one with some helpful advice?

In my bag:
Driver: R9 TP Rombax Stiff
3 Wood: R9 TP 85g Stiff
3 hybrid: X
4-SW: X-20 Uniflex

SteelLW: Forged Chrome

Putter: White Hot XG #1

Put a club head cover in front of your left foot (try to get it in the path of an out to in swing). Hit some balls without hitting your club cover.

R7 TP 8.5* Fuji Speeder x-stiff (heavy,low,fade set)
975F 3W 13.5*
FX Tour Grind Nickel 3-PW +1/2", Rifle 6.5
Vokey SW 52*
CG10 LW 60* 3 dot (14* bounce) Tracy putter 35" (hit R but putt L)+ 1 club TBD...Past home courses: Unicorn GC (Stoneham, MA), Forest Creek GC (Round Rock, TX)Ball: Use...

• Administrator
recently i've developed a fade with my 6i all the way up to my driver.

Describe the ball flight. Could be that you're leaving the clubface open.

Where's the ball start?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Describe the ball flight. Could be that you're leaving the club face open.

i have also developed coming over the top. it is certainly not fun. i'm going to try some drills off youtube. that seems to be a pretty good resource.

i think the physics behind it for most golfers is that you swing across the ball and leave your club face open relative to your path, instead of the other reason which is a good swing path but you leave your club face open. for the first reason the ball flight goes left then slices right. for the second reason it starts straight then goes right. i am doing the the former. and it sucks

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Describe the ball flight. Could be that you're leaving the clubface open.

it goes to the left and curls in right. i would say it would go left 5-6 ft and then back to the target. which made me to believe the out to in swing path. like cutting at the ball maybe...

In my bag:

• Administrator
it goes to the left and curls in right. i would say it would go left 5-6 ft and then back to the target. which made me to believe the out to in swing path. like cutting at the ball maybe...

Yeah, if it starts left, that's over the top.

I just wanted to make sure. If it started at the target and then faded or sliced from there, that'd just be an open clubface. Have you put a headcover just outside and behind the ball, and hit a few shots like that? I've never liked that drill, but it works for others. Personally, I'd look at WHY you're suddenly coming over the top? Is your tempo off? Are you crowding yourself? Are you fully rotating your shoulders? Starting the downswing from the ground up? Again, personally, I'd go on the range and try to hit some big hooks. I want to feel the clubhead working from the inside. Once I establish that, I can slowly work my way back to hitting the ball squarely. That may not work for you, of course.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

There are a number of drils to correct this on the Titleist web site under TPI. You can join for free and watch all the videos, good stuff..

http://www.mytpi.com/

Alternatively or in addition to, you can try the 'inside approach' sold at virtually any golf store. It guarantees to stop your slice in 6 swings. All I know is I use it, and it keeps me from coming over the top if my swing gets a bit too steep. It may get you a it too inside-out, instead of inside-square-inside, but it will definitely get rid of the slice!

In the Titleist bag on the ClicGear 2.0:

PILOT: Titleist 910 D2 Axivore Tour Red

3 WOOD: Callaway 3-Deep 13*

Hybrid: TaylorMade RBZ 22*

IRONS 3-PW: Mizuno MP-32

WEDGES: Vokey TVD 54* SM5 58*K

PUTTER: Rife 2-Bar Blade

BALL: Penta 5

Keep your right elbow tucked in to your side on the way down. Try to put your right elbow into your pants pocket.

This tip (from this forum) totally eliminated my slice.

You could also try the Jim Furyk method. Take the backswing outside and reroute back inside on the downswing.

I would do everything I can to hit a big old push without too much manipulation.

With a neutral grip, neutral ball position and a short iron, I'd try as hard as possible to start the downswing from the ground up, with the hands leading the clubface as much as possible.

If you are practicing on grass, get that divot to point to the right, if you're a righty.

Assuming your swing plane is ok, start from a 3/4, 1/2 backswing and start the downswing with the left foot, left hip.

Obviously, find a good pro if you can to help you out.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

When your taking the club back don't let your left arm pass your heart,this
forces you to turn your shoulders and not lift your arms,it works try it,it will get rid of your fade.

aeroburner tp 10.5 stiff
superfast tp 2.0 3 wood stiff
Halo 25 and taylormade tp 19 degree hybrids
miura cb 202 and wedge
tp 52* wedge, tp 56* taylormade spider mallet putter

• 4 weeks later...
Try swinging a driver with your feet together and a glove under both your arm pit. This will force you to swing around your body and make a compact swing.

Make sure when you finish that your hips are facing the target and not to the right.

Make sure you are making a full turn with your shoulders and hips.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Your right hand could be taking over on the downswing, throwing your clubhead outside. I seem to do this when I am trying to put a little extra on the ball. Passive hands and make the right hand have no part in the swing at all. Also, that right elbow might be too high, again throwing your clubhead outside. These are the two things that I'm working on in my own personal 2 month hellride fighting this over the top move I developed. That and I'm working on getting my pivot in a more smooth rhythm. Swinging at 80% seems to smooth everything out.

WITB:
Driver-B'stone J33R 9.5* Pro Force V2 65S 44.5"
3w/5w-B'stone J33R 15-18* NV75 Stiff
3h Ping G10 21* TFC Stiff
irons-Mizuno Pro II w/4-9, MP-T 47 PW, currently have DG S300. X100 Soft Stepped 1x or PX 6.0 are on stand by.GW Mizuno MP-T 53-9* DG R300LW Titleist Vokey SM 58-12* DG Wedge flexT...

For me it usually means one of two things.

1) I am not getting enough of a shoulder turn.

2) I am not letting my hands drop (ie they are beocoming too active).
In my bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad
Woods: RPM LP 3W & 5W
Irons: MX-25 4-SWPutter: Detour

there's a drill that I like to do if I find myself getting outside my normal swing path

I'm a righty so if you are then try this

step your left foot over your right. so that you're basically crossed.

take the club and swing freely. full swing. this helps you feel more of an inside out swing b/c of body balance.

also another thing you could try would be flattening your swing. instead of coming up with your club...make it more like you're taking it back on a flatter plane.. it feels weird at 1st..but you get used to it pretty quickly and once you groove it...i feel it's easier to try and crank the ball when u need to on a more consistent basis as compared to having a steep swing path.
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

i used to play hockey, for about 4 years. i guess i was blending a slap shot with my golf swing. my left shoulder would open up past square, just like hitting slap shot. so my take is; because i open the target side shoulder out a bit its changing the path of the swing and trying to kill the ball isn't letting me close the face by impact.

i went the range the other day and was hitting fine. hopefully it will be like that this sunday....

In my bag:

There is a great article in the new Golf Digest about eliminating the out-to-in swing pattern. I cant use the glove under the armpits drill...never could. The instructor in the mag (and my pro) always instructed me to keep my right elbow tucked on the downswing....not the upswing. I try to get my right hand as far away from my head as possible on the backswing, and tuck the elbow on the downswing, after my hip turn initiates it.

This thread is absolutely hilarious.

I don't know anything about your swing so what can I really tell you, but here's something that does diagnose and start to solve the problem.

Take a club, any club. Lay it on the ground between your feet and the ball, butt end pointing at some target out on the range. For the next bucket, every shot you hit is going to be on a line exactly parallel to this line.

Line up each shot on that line and do not move the club that you placed on the ground. Hit a shot. Does your divot point straight down that target line? You're just a tiny bit too steep. Does your divot point a little left of that target line? You're coming over the top.

Start to work on making the divot point vaguely right of your target line. That's the perfect swing path for square impact. I still do this drill constantly, and after you hit 15 or 20 balls you can really tell if your swing is grooved on the right path or not. The more you do this the more you'll be able to self-diagnose the problem.

If this worked for drivers I'd be in heaven.
In the bag 8/12/09:
R9 w/ 63g S Fubuki | 909F2 13.5º | 909H 19º | MP-67 w/ Project X 5.5, 3-PW | Spin Milled 52â¢04, 56â¢08, 60â¢04 | BC1, 35" | Tour One | uPro

Hcp: 5.9
Trend: 5.2

This thread is absolutely hilarious.

um... i live in la and we don't have public grass ranges... unless your a baller and have a country club membership...

In my bag:

Note: This thread is 5780 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!