IGNORED

Season Ending Knee Surgery

Franco!
Note: This thread is 5807 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That's not good news for Tiger or the Tour. The Ryder Cup is looking bleak for the Americans, as well.

Tiger's the best by far, but he never really carried the US in the Ryder Cup anyway. I don't think you can say it's look bleak for us just because of his absence. What we really need in the Ryder Cup are guys that are going to have a good time with it. I think in the past our players have taken it too seriously. Let's get guys like Boo Weekley in there. He's a solid golfer and you know he'll have fun with it.

In My Bag ( Superlight 3.5):

Driver: 9.5* Burner SuperFast, Matrix Ozik XCon 4.8 Stiff
Fairway Woods: Steelhead III, Uniflex Steel (3w, 5w)
Hybrids: Big Bertha Heavenwood 4H, Uniflex SteelIrons: Victory Red Full Cavity, Stiff (5-AW)Wedges: WALTER HAGEN,...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm disappointed, but think this is 100% the right move. I don't know anyone that doubts it. Stress fractures and ligament damage...the guy needs to rest. My only question is how long will it take to knock the rust off. If he can go from not playing at all to winning the US Open with a very bad knee, I suspect he should be able to recover all the way through the winter months and slowly get back on the course without any issues.

With all this time on his hand, what's the over/under for Tiger Woods Jr. coming 9 months from now?

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
With an injury as bad as has been reported, why did Tiger play in the US Open?..or did he acquire the damage during the tournament?

Perhaps you could do us the favor of reading threads before responding to them?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Retief has to be feeling a touch stupid right about now as well.

From http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle4160268.ece
The South African was trying to soften the impact of his remarks last night, although he did not attempt to retract them, merely implying that he was not being serious. When approached by The Times on the eve of the BMW International Open in Munich, Goosen said: “I was being light-hearted. No one but Tiger himself knows how badly hurt he was. But if he was really badly hurt, he would have withdrawn, wouldn’t he?”

Riiiight. Whether Goosen was really being lighthearted or not, that was an incredibly stupid thing for him to say publicly.

Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

i walked on a torn ACL for 3 years from a motocross accident. The pain goes away with ACL damage.. You just lose stability

It's true- you see football players often get up and walk off the field after a knee injury, and you think things can't be that bad. Then Monday, after the MRI, you find out they are done for the season from a torn ACL. It's a kind of a weird injury that way. They say you can walk, but not run on it. Tiger hasn't been able to run either.

I don't understand why anyone would think he was faking it. I would say the people that think such don't have much of a competitive fire. People that are ultra-competitive will play through pain.

I used to think Retief Goosen was an alright guy but now I lost alot of respect for him. He shouldn't have said that, he should've said, "How would I know if he's faking it? I am not Tiger."

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Now the question is will someone catch him in the regular season FedEx Cup points. If they don't, then I think they should just give him the cup again and not even hold the playoffs. It could actually make for an interesting race the rest of the way.

Will people look at the winners of the next two majors like they did the Huston Rockets when they won two NBA Titles while Jordan was in his first retirement?
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

This stinks for golf, especially after the great ratings the U.S. Open received this past weekend. That being said, it will be that much more exciting when he is able to return. And like Dave said above, it's 100% the right move. I told my wife the other day he should take off the rest of the season, and that was before I found out about the ACL damage and stress fractures. It will prolong his career quite a bit, and I'm sure he will come back hungrier than ever.

Things are going to be interesting on the PGA Tour and Ryder Cup the rest of the season. It will be interesting to see who steps up the most in his absence and gets a few things done. Hopefully some guys step up and become better than ever.

It's going to be an interesting finish to the season to say the least.

Well, all I have to say is the dude won arguably the hardest tourney under the most grueling conditions with a fractured tibia and a knee that needed more surgery -- unbelievable. His legend has been not only etched in stone, but cemented as well. Make no mistake, there will be more etchings to come.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Well, all I have to say is the dude won arguably the hardest tourney under the most grueling conditions with a fractured tibia and a knee that needed more surgery -- unbelievable.

I agree, partly. An ordinary schlub can get a stress fracture from jogging, or biking, or lots of other fairly mundane activities, and not know he/she has the stress fracture for months. It may be painless, or just mildly uncomfortable, or may hurt quite a bit.

A stress fracture isn't nearly as serious as a true cortical fracture. You can have one and recover without ever being the wiser. It's sort of like a surface crack or "check" in a piece of wood, not a full thickness break that creates instability and lots of inflammation. Something posted on Golfchannel.com said that the pain was "due to the stress fracture," and while that may be true, it could also be from a multitude of other sources in his knee. Not that any of this matters...the guy is amazing, and it's a great story that we'll now get to see how he reacts and recovers from a MAJOR surgical procedure. If he's tough enough to gut out that open win, I'm thinking it will take some pretty serious injury--much worse than a partially torn ACL--to derail this guy.

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Tiger is mentally strong, we all know, but I certainly hope there is no confidence issue when he does come back. By confidence, I mean confidence in the knee, that it is ok and ready to go. A lot of athletes have trouble with that, being so afraid they will hurt it again.
TM R7 SuperQuad - 9.5* Stiff || TM V-Steel 15/18* Stiff || Mizuno MP-52 3-PW PX5.5 || Titleist Vokey OC 52/58* || Odyssey White Hot #1

...By confidence, I mean confidence in the knee, that it is ok and ready to go. A lot of athletes have trouble with that, being so afraid they will hurt it again.

Didn't see any of that this past weekend....looked like a bunch of Tiger-swings to me. Zero hesitation.

From Foxsports.................

Woods' swing coach, Hank Haney, described the moment when Woods first learned of the stress fractures, and doctors told Woods the preferred treatment for the stress fractures was three weeks on crutches and three weeks of inactivity. "Tiger looked at the doctor and said, 'I'm playing in the U.S. Open, and I'm going to win.' And then he started putting on his shoes," Haney said. "He looked at me and said, 'Come on, Hank. We'll just putt today."'

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

What a man! haha.

We're watching a true Legend, maybe THE Legend of this sport.

In my bag:
Driver: 907D1 10.5*, Aldila Spec-Grid S67 reg
Woods: Looking for a wood. Titleist 906F4 or Nike CPR.
Utility: CPR 2-3 hybrids, 22*-26*Irons: 755 Forged 4-PW, Tri-Spec Steel RegWedges: Vokey 200 series 56.10 SW, 60.04 LWPutter: Tracy 33"Ball: DT CarryI mark my Titleist by...

LOL....that's great. I wish I could've been there to hear that. That right there proves how competitive he is.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

I said if he won the Open that we should probably hide the belts and shoe laces of the other guys. Tiger off 2 months of no golf, knee surgery and the like, we might find someone swinging from a shower rod. Well he did win with more of an injury than anticipated. Now tell me this.

Tiger shuts it down for the rest of the year, comes back and wins his first tournament back. What the heck goes thru the mind of the other guys on tour then? I mean they have to feel a little bit like he is super human now, how about after being off THAT long?

Andrew

I still want to know how he got them though...

EDIT: Those fractures were attributed to his rehab after arthroscopic knee surgery on April 15.

That answers that.
TM R7 SuperQuad - 9.5* Stiff || TM V-Steel 15/18* Stiff || Mizuno MP-52 3-PW PX5.5 || Titleist Vokey OC 52/58* || Odyssey White Hot #1

Note: This thread is 5807 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!