IGNORED

Master Scotty Cameron Putters: Worth It or Not? Thread

Note: This thread is 3768 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by dmnoland

There is only one "perfect" putter, it might be made by Scotty Cameron or it might be made by Zevo. Only you can find that out. Spend an hour several different times trying out every putter you can.

Scottys are indeed works of art and I would love to own a Del Mar but it would never leave the house since I don't want to scuff it up and it's still the wrong one for my game.

Over the last few years I have acquired 5 different putters yet I keep coming back to my 20 year old Ping B60. My putter is really one of a kind and it is the right one for me. I have had it tweaked for length, loft, weight and grip all by a professional clubmaker and putting instructor.

Now all that being said I will set aside my own advice and demo the new Ping Nome when it's released since it just might be my "more perfect" putter.

I bought my Del Mar 3 Pro Platinum almost by mistake, my old sticks got stolen and I was outfitting a new bag, the Scotty was a used but absolutely mint for $75. I bought it in 2003. At the time I didn't know Scotty Cameron was any special brand, just thought I bought a Titleist putter with really good feel. After coming to this forum I looked it up and saw it was only made one year (1999) and that these things are relatively rare and expensive. It was my antique roadshow moment of the day.

Just got it regripped for the first time, lol, and was posting in another thread how nice the golf pride pistol grips are...

I love my Scotty Cameron Fastback.  Best putter I've ever owned without question.  I always try out different putters when I go to golf shops, and I just keep coming back to the SC's, especially the fastback.  It has just the right amount of weight and has a comfortable swing , its very nice to look down at with just enough straight lines and curved lines to help me line up right.  Worth every penny.  I've spent far more on drivers over the years then putters, but putting is 50% of the game.

Titliest AP2 712 irons 9-5, Rescue R9 (3,4, sometimes 5), R9 460 driver, R9 3W

Vokey Wedges 48,52,56,60

Scotty Cameron Fastback 1

Taylor Made Penta balls

Callaway rangefinder

Scotty's are nice, but too much bling and not enough performance or fitting for $350+.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I currently switch between my milled tour Odyssey black series putter and my Scotty Cameron Newport 2 putter which I've owned for about ten years now. Whatever I use, I almost always come back to my Scotty. Love the feel, look, etc.

p.s. I am a lefty and there are many more choices for us in the last few years, Scotty's included!

doc

SteveG.

Callaway RAZRX  4- PW Lefty
Callaway forged wedges 52 deg. 56 deg. and 60 deg. LH
Nike Covert 2.0. Driver Stiff LH set neutral 10.5 deg.
Titleist 3 Wood 15 deg.Stiff LH
Titleist 5  wood 18.5 deg. Stiff LH 
Odyssey  35", LH
Titleist Pro V1

The over 30% of Tour players that use them might disagree about your performance claim, but then again they all aren't likely paying $350+ either.

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Scotty's are nice, but too much bling and not enough performance or fitting for $350+.

Joe Paradiso

Personally, I think they're overrated. Not in the sense that they aren't real good putters or that they aren't worth the money for some people. Me, I currently own two SC's and ive owned 5 more previous to now. Its not that I dont like the Scotty Cameron putters, its just that ive found a better putter… The Nike Method (original version, not the insert version) is a fantastic putter that rolls flawlessly. Even better than the Scotty Camerons.  Take it for what it is worth.

No putter is exactly the same, and no person putts the same. Putters are not like drivers where its been proven that one is superior than the other. Its all about feel, and whatever feels the best rolls the best and performs the best FOR YOU!!

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

I bought a SC Newport 2 last year in the pro shop just before a round of golf. I wanted it for a long time, finally just decided to do it.. Still an expensive putter, but it feels great- love it and I know I'll keep it for years. So yes, worth the price.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Originally Posted by newtogolf

The over 30% of Tour players that use them might disagree about your performance claim, but then again they all aren't likely paying $350+ either.

We're talking retail, because that is what is available to the retail public. There is no telling what pros do as to fitting, counterbalancing and getting the grip they want.

For $350+, you're getting a standard club. It's nice, but it's not fit to you. Heck, you don't even know if you aim it where you want.

Look at Tiger, he played a Cameron for years - but aimed it right of his mark, but with the toe up - probably wasn't fit, it just felt right -- he relied on timing to close the toe -- when you're young, timing is better and hot and cold days with the putter are minimized. But when you're physically off, or your body changes, or you get older -- or all three -- that timing doesn't work so well -- and you get hot and cold days - Like Tiger.

If Cameron actually cared about your putting, they would have a Scotty Van or the Tour Van going around the country and fitting Joe Golfer to the putter that fits them, where they aim it correctly - at least as to model, length, lie, and grip. But he doesn't.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I have never seen a whole lot of fitting for putters out there, for any brand. I know Edel got an extensive process, but it costs too, and may not be near you. Most of the stores I've visited got fitting programs for irons and woods, but little is said about putters. They usually got a couple of different lengths which you have to choose from.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

I own a Scotty Del Mar but agree with you on the lack of fitting assistant Scotty Cameron provides its customers.  Ping is doing some great things when it comes to fitting and so is Odyssey.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

If you put better with it, it's worth it.  When I go looking for putters I try to go in price blind and rank them all based on how well I put with them.  If you put better with a $300 Scotty than a $80 Cleveland, and can afford the extra, it's worth it.

• 3 months later...

Just be careful of the counterfeits.

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

I have a Scotty blade I never use. I take it ouyt once in a while, but I just cant get used to putting with it. I prefer both my Si-4 and my 8881. It is beautiful, it sounds nice, but it doesnt feel right to me. I dunno. Its an 009 though, so i'll be keeping it for a long, long time.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

I've been looking at a new putter, specificaly the Scotty Newport (new ones) and after reading it seems people have a very mixed thoughts on it, either YES or NO WAY.  I think I will go for it sooner than later to replace my current Odyssey.

Titleist 913D2 9.5 (UST VTS 65)

Titleist 913F 15 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 913H 19 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) (DG XP-95)

Titleist Vokey SM5 (52,56,58) (DG XP-95)

Ping Anser 2 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfell View Post
None

Well, if you divide the price of a club by the number of strokes you take with it, your putter will be amortized far more quickly than any other club in your bag.

Especially if you're a crappy putter.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

I recently got a SC Kombi S through my pro shop for $220. For me, that's a lot for a putter, but I've never putted better. Few, if any, three putts in any round now. I've always said "Never buy a putter until you've had a chance to throw it!" but I love my SC. Also, the number of putters any man should have is N+3 with N being equal to the number your wife thinks you should have. :-D

• 5 months later...

For me, the price was worth it......Started golfing only in June of 2012.  My first putter was an old 1990's Odyssey Rossie II.  I then purchased an Odyssey White Ice 330 Mallet and liked it for a while, although I was only playing on municipal courses which while they were in good shape had slow greens.  When I joined a country club at the end of September, the greens were so much faster and I was putting terribly.  I tried so many different putters at many different stores.  The best one I tried was the Scotty Cameron California Fastback.  Yes it was $350 but after hours of trying out so many different putters, this one felt the best to me.

I immediately noticed a difference in my putting for the better.  It was still an adjustment to get used to greens that were so fast but I know the Scotty helped.  I've made so many putts with it that I never made before with my Odyssey.  Considering my handicap is 15 and I average 34-35 putts per round, that means that more than 40% of my strokes per round are with my putter.  Therefore I did not have an issue with dropping $350 on the club that I use the most every round.

Everyone is different so the original question is going to vary.  I think it's pretty clear that from a quality standpoint that Scotty's are as good as anything else out there if not better.  People just see the price and think it's too much and that is what clouds their opinion on Scotty's in general.  Taking price out of the equation the quality is top notch.  I'm very pleased with my purchase.....

Note: This thread is 3768 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!