IGNORED

Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 1392 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dress Codes  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

as a side note, for the other argument about the stereotyping of badly dressed people leaving divots, littering, and bad etiquette, i DO NOT fully agree with this,

whilst i see alot of bad dressed people show poor etiquette, i see just as many well dressed people exhibit the same behaviour,....so for me that argument is a bit rubbish

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

I am the same way.  Each of my jeans cost more than the entire clothes most people wear to the golf course, but I do not wear them when playing golf.  But that doesn't mean I don't want other people to wear jeans when playing golf.  I just don't see why jeans get specifically banned on some courses whereas other pants that looks worse are allowed.

A good pair of jeans looks a lot better than plaid polyester pants of the '70's (no flaming--I am sure some would disagree--it's just my opinion).

I think the dress code in some golf courses is a left over from old days of keeping rif-rafs out.

Having said that, I have no problem for an establishment setting its own rules.  If I don't like it, I won't patronize it.  Simple as that.

Originally Posted by GJBenn85

I assure you my friend that every pair of jeans I own (about 15 overall) each costs more than the pants AND shirt you wear to the golf course.  I also assure you if I did choose to wear jeans and a QUALITY polo to a golf course, I would still look far more presentable than 90% of the golfers that show up in shorts and a crappy faded, stretched cotton polo.

That said, I do wear "proper" golf clothing but am highly amused by your disdain for jeans--I bet you're a lot of fun to be around, not judgmental in the least.

Have to run, it is my pack's feeding time.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Yukari

Having said that, I have no problem for an establishment setting its own rules.  If I don't like it, I won't patronize it.  Simple as that.

possibly the most sensible thing ive read in this thread

i dont get why so many people are anti-establishment jsut for the sake of it?

You do realize that across the pond, most people here don't wear suits to work anymore.  Even many doctors and lawyers don't wear suits anymore.

Originally Posted by carpediem4300

100% for the dress code

my golf polos cost me like £6 each, my golf trousers/shorts were like £8 each,....i bought several outfits for under £60 almost

i dont buy into "but its comfortable, so be comfortable" crap,......if we took that attitude with everything nobody would wear suits to work anymore, or anywhere else that has a dress code.

t-shirts, jeans, jean shorts just make the place look un-tidy and average,.......as above it hardly costs a thing to look the part, and i dont buy stuff it its not comfortable

its jsut the way of society, no heritage, no history its just always "ohhh poor ickle us dont likes it no more, so we aint gunna adhere to your namby pamby rules"

rules are rules, dont like them then please quit golf and go take up football or something where it doesnt matter if you look like a retard

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Originally Posted by Yukari

You do realize that across the pond, most people here don't wear suits to work anymore.  Even many doctors and lawyers don't wear suits anymore.

hmm cultural difference i guess,

i can see why you wouldnt wear a suit, i hate the things, but at the same time it makes me feel like ive made effort for something, to be something, I aspire to succeed in my job sector, and part of that is being smartly presented, showing what i am capable of, but i would int he same sentence agree its just my opinion

Well, Carpediem, what i aspire to on the golf course has absolutely nothing to do with my dress but everything to do with my behaviour.  The  thousand dollar trousers will not benefit my game or  my confidence.

Originally Posted by joekelly

Well, Carpediem, what i aspire to on the golf course has absolutely nothing to do with my dress but everything to do with my behaviour.  The  thousand dollar trousers will not benefit my game or  my confidence.

then you missed the point of my post, especially after stating how much i pay for my gear being a measely few £'s/$'s

and you missed my second post where i also said i didnt agree with the stereotyping of peoples dress, bad/good dressed people act just as badly from what i have seen

PS: where the hell are you finding $1k trousers?

I'm all for a proper dress code, but its open for interpretation.     Jeans & t-shirt cheapen the image of the sport (especially to those that don't play).     I always wear a polo, but I wear cargo shorts with it in the summer.   A  buddy I play with often plays ratty paint splattered cargo shorts which is totally unacceptable IMHO, I don't see anything wrong with a nice clean pair of cargo shorts  ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

The  thousand dollar trousers will not benefit my game or  my confidence.

What about $15 trousers?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by carpediem4300

i dont get why so many people are anti-establishment jsut for the sake of it?

It's in the American DNA. We are a nation whose forefathers said screw this and got on the boat looking for better.  (There have been serious studies on this. )

Polo Shirts?  Should be Baseball shirts.

Basketball Shorts - welcome.

Plus Fours - go back to the Circus.

"Quick Dorthy....the oil can!"

Originally Posted by The Tin Man

It's in the American DNA.  We are a nation whose forefathers said screw this and got on the boat looking for better.  (There have been serious studies on this.)

Polo Shirts?  Should be Baseball shirts.

I thought it was religious reasons they sailed for the states? ill be hoenst ive never read up on it so cant claim to know jack about it :P

I just sometimes think people are anti-this and anti-that because they cant be bothered to do anything else,......

~I can see why people in places like libya, syria etc are anti-establishment because they are oppressed, its a dictatorship where you toe th eline or end up in some dark places

but because of dress codes, rules and regs, heritage, history,....i just dont get it

Like jj killeen recently shaking partners hands without taking his cap off,....no rule for it, its only etiquette, but once one person starts doing it, people will follow,...its how honour and integrity has disappeared (in my opinion)

like holding a door open for a lady,...i see far to many men let it swing in their faces,...sure they dont have to hold it open,...but its nice whent hey do

That is like saying is don't have a problem with clean jeans. Some people are offended by both. Most don't care.

Quote:

Originally Posted by inthehole

le IMHO, I don't see anything wrong with a nice clean pair of cargo shorts  ...

"Anti" can be replaced with "Pro". Being  Pro That instead of Anti This.

I have enjoyed many a round with guys in basketball shorts and tank tops. Golf needs young talent, not old farts who can't see beyond the jeans and shorts.

Originally Posted by The Tin Man

"Anti" can be replaced with "Pro". Being  Pro That instead of Anti This.

I have enjoyed many a round with guys in basketball shorts and tank tops. Golf needs young talent, not old farts who can't see beyond the jeans and shorts.

Lol i see the point there on the first sentence

but im not old, (unless you cant 24 as old ) its just something i grew up with, to me its jsut nice to see people make an effort,.....once people stop making an effort it makes something seem less special,....like wearing a tracksuit to an a la carte resteraunt,....it doesnt seem so special if it looks like a local ymca youth hang out

I can imagine in times gone by where golf gear was expensive, playing golf was exepnsive,....but nowadays i just dont see the excuse,....you can look like a pro for less than $10, hardly any effort at all

Some people think wearing Basketball Shorts is dressing up. They are making an effort....that's their best tank top.

Get them playing and then you can dress them up.

In general, I'd say a reasonable dress code can be good.  I don't really care for them, but they don't bother me unless they are extremely strict (like no shorts or something).

However, it sounds like people make a series of assumptions about people who golf at places without a dress code (which is obviously intentional) and wear whatever they want (which adheres to their lack of a dress code and therefore is acceptable).

The OP, without knowing anything about the people he was observing, made sure to refer to these people as jackasses, idiots, etc, and him and several others on the first page assumed that these people will have no sense of course etiquette.  That seems like a bold assumption.  I know I have the same etiquette on the course no matter what I'm wearing.  If I were to go to a course that has no dress code (which I've never seen before) and wear a tank top, nothing will change.  Conversely, I've seen people dressed to the Ts that have some of the poorest course etiquette around.

The most disturbing thing here is apparently our lack of progression to judging people by their merits.  The only correlation that I think can reasonably be made between dress/attire/equiptment and etiquette exists because somebody who is likely to have no golf-specific attire/equipment is more likely to not be serious enough about the game to know all of the rules.  Somebody who plays more than just the casual golfer likely has a golf-specific wardrobe they've built up over the years.  That doesn't make either of them better/worse people than you, you friggin snobs.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Jeez when I started this thread 5 years ago I had no idea what it would grow into! It seems to have a life of its own popping up from time to time to be debated on again and again by a different set of people.

Anywho, I stand by my original post even more adamantly than I did when I posted it back in '08. Call me elitist, call me whatever you want but it drives me bonkers when I show up on the first tee to play golf with some jackass wearing a Micheal Jordan jersey and sweat pants.  While I do not get overly worked up about jeans or cargo shorts, I certainly would not be caught dead playing golf in them at any decent golf course.

And that whole thing about no connection between etiquette and dress on the golf course, I say you're wrong. There is most certainly a connection. I work at a muni that has no dress code. Fortunately, we don't have too many problems, but when we do it is always someone dressed like an idiot. I have worked at this course for 7 years and I have never had an issue with someone that came dress appropriately. The rare time we do have to remove someone, they are always dressed more like a street thug than a golfer.

It comes down to respect. People who respect the golf course replace divots, rake sand traps, fix ball marks, etc. Respect begins with not showing up at the course wearing the same clothes you wore to do yard work in.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

My home course if fairly strict with dress code, only golf shorts or dress shorts in summer, no jeans, t-shirts, collarless shirts and shirts must be tucked in.   I don't mind dressing for golf, but sometimes it's a bit of a pain.  I also would prefer to keep my shirt out, not tucked in.

I get the point about some jeans being more expensive than golf gear but the issue is regulating what kind of jeans are acceptable.  I've seen $150+ jeans that look like they were shredded by a cat and washed in bleach.  While they might be expensive and fashionable at a dance club they don't fit the image most country clubs are looking for.  How do you tell the guy with his shredded, bleached $25 Levi's he can't get in, but the guy in the $200 jeans that look the same can.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 1392 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!