IGNORED

Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 1390 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dress Codes  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

Originally Posted by trackster

Haha great suggestion.  Who made a law that Collard shirts look better than T-shirts. or golf shorts (what ever that means) look better than cargo shorts.  If I saw two people walk by me, one wearing a collard shirt and one wearing a t-shirt, I wouldn't think anything of either of them.  I feel some people like to think that they are better than someone because they dress nicer.  Golf has always been an eliteist sport, and with the results of this thread it is a shame that it doesn't look like that is  going to change.  Let your game do the talking, not what you wear.

That's true but it's not the whole story. Dress codes simply tend to have a positive effect on certain environments. There have been studies done to show that - well, studies more in the line of the impact of attire on individuals' behaviour.

Originally Posted by Golfaxis

I think a dress code is good for the game and should be kept no matter what kind of course it is. Once people start dumbing down the dress code in golf it's the beginning of the end. Give people a hand and they will take your whole arm. Once precedence is set with mediocre and lax rules, it's extremely difficult going back to where they once were and then the game suffers. If allowed, the lack of a dress code (or the allowance of a very liberal dress code) will undoubtedly permeate other facets of the game.

This is hard to agree with though (not really sure if serious).

Lol wasn't "axis" the name given to the fascist alliance in World War 2??

Haha great suggestion.  Who made a law that Collard shirts look better than T-shirts. or golf shorts (what ever that means) look better than cargo shorts.  If I saw two people walk by me, one wearing a collard shirt and one wearing a t-shirt, I wouldn't think anything of either of them.  I feel some people like to think that they are better than someone because they dress nicer.  Golf has always been an eliteist sport, and with the results of this thread it is a shame that it doesn't look like that is  going to change.  Let your game do the talking, not what you wear.

+2

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I see no problems with cargo shorts on the course. Shorts are so common around here in Florida that people don't really even notice. There are a couple of courses around here that don't even care if you wear tshirts, but I do think collared shirts should be worn. I usually wear a pair of cargo shorts, and a Hawiian shirt when I play. But that's pretty common here. I never tuck my shirt in either.
When I'm not playing I tend to wear the same thing with sandles year round here.
I can see the point of not wanting people to play looking like slobs, but some take it to far.

Originally Posted by Golfaxis

I think a dress code is good for the game and should be kept no matter what kind of course it is. Once people start dumbing down the dress code in golf it's the beginning of the end. Give people a hand and they will take your whole arm. Once precedence is set with mediocre and lax rules, it's extremely difficult going back to where they once were and then the game suffers. If allowed, the lack of a dress code (or the allowance of a very liberal dress code) will undoubtedly permeate other facets of the game.

I always wear a collared shirt, tucked into my pants/shorts when I play but I respectfully disagree with the assessment that the game suffers when there's a lax (or no) dress code.  The game does not suffer because of what a player is wearing.

I say this because the lifeblood of the game depends on people playing.   When people choose to not play, courses and equipment companies go out of business.  When those courses and companies go out of business, we as golfers have fewer options.    Fewer options for courses/equipment causes the game to suffer.  If those people choose not to play because others are looking down their noses at them because of their attire, the game suffers.

Golf is a game where you are basically playing against the course and yourself.   IMHO, it would be for the betterment of the game if people would concern themselves only with their game and their performance, rather than the attire of someone else.  Especially if you are not even playing with that person.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Who made a law that Collard shirts look better than T-shirts. or golf shorts (what ever that means) look better than cargo shorts.

Really? You can believe what you want about whether dress codes are good or bad for the game but the naivety of not realizing collard shirts look better than tee shirts makes you sound unintelligent.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Originally Posted by NM Golf

Really? You can believe what you want about whether dress codes are good or bad for the game but the naivety of not realizing collard shirts look better than tee shirts makes you sound unintelligent.

I believe Larry the Cable guy wears collared shirts.......   Do you think his look better than a clean t-shirt?

There are plenty of non-collared shirts that look better than some collared shirts.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

My two bobs worth

I am so scruffy in everyday life its a joke t shirts wih holes , torn jeans , scuffed up trainers , i go to work scruffy and expect them to put up with it , they do because they know that clothes do not maketh the man , however since taking up golf i have bought lots of nice smart clothes and shock horror have started to enjoy wearing them . When i go to play golf i feel like a golfer in my polo shirt and trousers and i believe it helps my game , everyone else can wear what they like , but wearing a t shirt to golf doesn`t feel right to me anymore . Weird

Cart Bag

Hi Bore  xls Driver

Big Bertha steelhead plus  3 and 5 Woods

Pro Gold 20 and 24 degree Hybrids

MD Superstrong Irons

MD Norman Drew Low Bounce wedges

Putter 

So if some one came up to you in a suit on the golf course and said "Why do you look like such a slob on the golf course, your collard shirt and golf pants don't look near as good as my suit."  what would you say.  Trust me, I probably look better than most golfers who were their collard shirts and golf shorts.  At least I don't have a beer gut hanging down below my shirt.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

There are plenty of non-collared shirts that look better than some collared shirts.

Agreed.  I don't see why 'cargo' shorts are a problem either...

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

Here's how I see it, if the course has a posted dress code you have two choices, respect it and dress appropriately, or go to a course that has a less restrictive dress code.  All this trying to convince us that t-shirts look just as good as collared shirts and cargo shorts are just as nice as golf shorts is opinion.   Some like to dress up for golf, others prefer jeans or their comfy shorts and tshirt, it's simple, frequent the courses that encourage your style of dress and don't give the others your money.

As an analogy, I've been invited to a number of black tie events (weddings, charity, etc) over the last few years.  I'm not a big fan of them or getting dressed in a tuxedo with all the trimmings.   I have a choice, I can accept the invite and dress as requested or I can decline.  I don't accept the invite and show up in what I want to wear because I think the clothes I'm wearing looks just as nice as the tuxedo they requested I wear.  Doing so would be disrespectful and put myself and others in an uncomfortable position.

Golf courses know the more restrictive their dress code, the more people they will likely alienate from their course.  Maybe it's naive, or it's intentional but ultimately unless you own your own course you should respect the rules of the course or give your hard earned money to the ones that share your ideals on dress codes.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by Dave2512

Nike, Snake Eyes and Adidas all make golf cargo shorts. I'm sure there are others. I love 'em.

I have a pair of nice Nike cargo shorts that I used to wear for golfing 2 years ago.  Back then I didn't actually know what qualified something as a cargo short until I started reading this forum.  I still wear them to the driving range, but I have some standard Nike golf shorts that I typically golf in.  The one thing I prefer about the cargo shorts is they actually have better utility because I can keep my divot repair tool and provisional ball in separate pockets from my tees, glove and cell phone.

I have some t-shirts that look better than some collared shirts I've seen people wear on golf courses, but I don't wear them golfing. The line has to be drawn somewhere, and I don't mind drawing it at "collar."

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

What if said collar is "popped"?  And how many popped collars is too many?

ngbbs4995e3c72c40a.jpg

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Gresh24

Agreed.  I don't see why 'cargo' shorts are a problem either...

Why am I not surprised you don't see why some look down on cargo shorts.

High class individual over here.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Originally Posted by MrSandman

Why am I not surprised you don't see why some look down on cargo shorts.

High class individual over here.

Call me crazy.  I don't look down on people, or have a problem with them, for wearing cargo shorts.  Hard to imagine, I know...

And once again, you can't comprehend anything.  I see very clearly why some look down on others for what they are wearing...  I've seen plenty of judgemental a holes.

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

Note: This thread is 1390 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!