IGNORED

20+ handicappers hitting 300 yards (mild rant)

Note: This thread is 1547 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I guess ya'll need to start working on your shots inside 100 yards then.

*snip*

Ouch. lol

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We do, unfortunantly the older kids don't practice very much, us youngins are just as good now but don't hit it as far. Half of us were 8th graders last year and are not on that list. They also must have played pretty bad because I thought they were all 2-6 handicap, but that gives me some confidence that I can move up the ranks.

We do, unfortunantly the older kids don't practice very much, us youngins are just as good now but don't hit it as far. Half of us were 8th graders last year and are not on that list. They also must have played pretty bad because I thought they were all 2-6 handicap, but that gives me some confidence that I can move up the ranks.

Nick, first of all, I've noticed your improved grammar and sentence structure. Nicely done.

So do they normally shoot better scores than that? You said they carry the ball 290 easily off the tee, which implies decent accuracy. I hope those tournament scores are unusual, or else we are left to believe that your teammates have truly terrible short games. Anyone can have an off day, but I'm doubting they drive the ball 300 yards "easily," or they would be scoring better than those results.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Does this make sense? Local public HS kid - 330 yards Luke List (#1 on PGA Tour) - 306.3 Nicolaus Colsaerts (#2 on PGA Tour) - 305.7 Gary Woodland (#3 on PGA Tour) - 304.4 Bubba Watson (#4 on PGA Tour) - 304.2 Who is this long driving phenom that hits it 25 yards further than the longest PGA Tour players?

Arcadia HS 2013 376 team final 16 over par. Leader shot 71s. You don't shoot under par without distance. All 4 shot in 70s. Even so, the Apaches lost to stronger teams. I regret my kid does not want to go to our local high school. He's going to a faith based school, and plans to play golf for them. It makes sense to me that they hit far, I've seen them hit. Bullets, they shoot bullets. Not bull.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

But wait, you weren't on the team last year, right? And doesn't golf season start in the spring?

Arcadia HS 2013 376 team final 16 over par. Leader shot 71s. You don't shoot under par without distance. All 4 shot in 70s.

Even so, the Apaches lost to stronger teams.

I regret my kid does not want to go to our local high school. He's going to a faith based school, and plans to play golf for them.

It makes sense to me that they hit far, I've seen them hit. Bullets, they shoot bullets. Not bull.

So it makes sense to you that thousands of high schools across  this country have golfers that out-drive our PGA professionals? I'm stunned. All I will say is that I've yet to see anyone who can easily hit 300. Some good players have hit it 300 with me, but certainly never a 20-handicapper. I've played with some HS kids, and some could bomb it 300 on a couple holes. But not easily 300, not accurately anyway. They swung out of their shoes and sometimes blistered it, but it was not "easily."

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

So it makes sense to you that thousands of high schools across  this country have golfers that out-drive our PGA professionals? I'm stunned. All I will say is that I've yet to see anyone who can easily hit 300. Some good players have hit it 300 with me, but certainly never a 20-handicapper. I've played with some HS kids, and some could bomb it 300 on a couple holes. But not easily 300, not accurately anyway. They swung out of their shoes and sometimes blistered it, but it was not "easily."

I'm sure they can hit it 300, I doubt the average 300 though. Also I don't think pro's driving stats are based only on using a driver. I can hit 290-300 yd drives multiple times in a round without "swinging out of my shoes" and my handicap is right around 20. Of course my FIR is probably only about 30% or so which means I'm in trouble more often than not or at the very least in long grass instead of short.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that at all. Our high school is probably not a statistical nomal, since we are in a reasonably affluent town with lots of golfers. What I was noting is that Nicks team could be in the same boat. And you are absolutely correct about the swinging out of the shoes thing, I've done that myself, and went from sometimes 260 down to 220 most of the time. These kids don't swing out of their shoes.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

See image below (I do not know how to embed images that I have converted).  I was hitting balls on the range one day at our local course when a local high school golfer started hitting on the other end.  Granted, he was the best player that our town has seen in years, but he was hitting his balls on the purple line.  At first, I just saw them flying over the hill that is noted in the pic.  One time I caught movement further down range, and I could see his ball bouncing/rolling across the tee box of #16.  The course was empty at the time.  Either way, he was hitting the ball at least 290 (conservative estimate) depending on how much farther the ball rolled, and where exactly he was standing on the range (I can't remember if we were toward the front or back).  He was also knocking them out there one after another.

This does not really apply to the high handicapper hitting 300 (I am fairly certain he was close to scratch), but it does apply to the talk about high school kids hitting it far.  I realize and agree that it is very rare, but I have also witnessed this, so I realize that it is possible.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Nick, first of all, I've noticed your improved grammar and sentence structure. Nicely done. So do they normally shoot better scores than that? You said they carry the ball 290 easily off the tee, which implies decent accuracy. I hope those tournament scores are unusual, or else we are left to believe that your teammates have truly terrible short games. Anyone can have an off day, but I'm doubting they drive the ball 300 yards "easily," or they would be scoring better than those results.

Im not positive but I think they do, I wasn't fortunate e ought to play with upperclassmen very much. Also when I say 300 easily I mean when the don't miss the golf course. I've played behind a few of them and they seem to hit a lot of hazards,(even with 3 woods), so that may add alot to the scores. Also if I remember correctly that was a miserable day,(you can look at the other scores because I'm not entirely sure). I know Brad, Michael, Spencer(hits it 250), and Victor average in the 70's. [quote name="Harmonious" url="/t/18107/20-handicappers-hitting-300-yards-mild-rant/990#post_892561"]But wait, you weren't on the team last year, right? And doesn't golf season start in the spring? [/quote] I played as an 8th grader in the Spring.

Don't even worry about the video. I have seen plenty of people hitting the way you do, and playing the game the same way. If you go to Brookside GC in Pasadena CA, you will note the number of people getting in your way as they had hit a long and off Fairway shot. The gullies are full of golf balls, and the locals make $20 to $50 just going down and picking them up for a quick sale It takes a lot to score low, and not so much to hit far. Most people don't have time to practice to score low.

Glad people like me could help the locals out. Next time save some time and just ask me for a 20$ on the way out ill help you guys out

Glad people like me could help the locals out. Next time save some time and just ask me for a 20$ on the way out ill help you guys out

It saves time and I get 24 pro v1 titleist balls for $20, but I've been getting callaway hex control from costco lately.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Probably someone who plays in dry California conditions all year round and constantly hits driver.  I'm pretty sure those driving distance stats don't just include driver...I could be wrong though.  I've said it before, but Bubba Watson could CARRY over 300 every time he wanted to. So imagine what his driving distance would be if he tried to crush it every time with a driver in dry conditions.

[quote name="RandallT" url="/t/18107/20-handicappers-hitting-300-yards-mild-rant/990#post_892575"] So it makes sense to you that thousands of high schools across  this country have golfers that out-drive our PGA professionals? I'm stunned. All I will say is that I've yet to see anyone who can easily hit 300. Some good players have hit it 300 with me, but certainly never a 20-handicapper. I've played with some HS kids, and some could bomb it 300 on a couple holes. But not easily 300, not accurately anyway. They swung out of their shoes and sometimes blistered it, but it was not "easily." [/quote] The top pros can all hit it significantly farther than the stats say, for instance, like Donald is noted as averaging as 270 but he can actually hit it 285, Gary woodland is noted for averaging just over 300, but he can hit it 350

I hope those tournament scores are unusual, or else we are left to believe that your teammates have truly terrible short games.

Or that everything is being exaggerated, which is very rare on the internetz.  The coach was correct, if they hit it that far, then they need to start working on their 100 yard game, because it sucks.  Otherwise, they don't hit it that far.

The top pros can all hit it significantly farther than the stats say, for instance, like Donald is noted as averaging as 270 but he can actually hit it 285, Gary woodland is noted for averaging just over 300, but he can hit it 350

You understand the concept of an "average", right?  For every one he hits 350, he hits several much less than 350.  Same concept applies for Donald.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Or that everything is being exaggerated, which is very rare on the internetz.  The coach was correct, if they hit it that far, then they need to start working on their 100 yard game, because it sucks.  Otherwise, they don't hit it that far. You understand the concept of an "average", right?  For every one he hits 350, he hits several much less than 350.  Same concept applies for Donald.

Yes I understand, that also includes when they don't hit driver which is woodlands case, and when I say 300 I mean when they get it in the fairway or most of the rough...

Yes I understand, that also includes when they don't hit driver which is woodlands case

That's not necessarily true. Driving distance is measured on opposing directional par 5s. You are simply unfamiliar with the distances you speak of.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

That's not necessarily true. Driving distance is measured on opposing directional par 5s. You are simply unfamiliar with the distances you speak of.

It also doesn't make a hill of beans difference if its in the fairway or not.

Or that everything is being exaggerated, which is very rare on the internetz.  The coach was correct, if they hit it that far, then they need to start working on their 100 yard game, because it sucks.  Otherwise, they don't hit it that far. You understand the concept of an "average", right?  For every one he hits 350, he hits several much less than 350.  Same concept applies for Donald.

Okay, I thought this mild rant was about 20+ handicap hittingit 300 yards even once. But still. A 20+ doing it on average without the pressure of scoring well? Maybe? I think the pros really do put in only about 80% effort at a maximum. Look at it this way, I'm old, but can run 100m in about 14 seconds in running shoes. Why is it so hard to believe that a high school freshman can run it in 12 or someone in a college track team runs it in 10.2 in spikes from blocks? Most of us playing are older and can run something like 14 second 100m, while college runners are 10.2? That's about 40% faster. Old guys like us average 220 yards? 40% is what? 220×1.4= 300 yards. Just because we can't do it doesn't mean there couldn't be lots of people who can. Can you run 100m in 10.2 seconds? If so, without hurting yourself? Most of us are 35 and older. Don't bother competing with youth on strength and speed. Plus there are old people capable of running fast and driving far. If you're 26, I'm jealous, but you still can't out hit a competitive college student. Btw, Brandon is a monster off the tee.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 1547 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!