IGNORED

20+ handicappers hitting 300 yards (mild rant)

Note: This thread is 1546 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

And you've hit the important part...carry distance. I went from 280 average to 250 average total distance in one day.  How? I moved from Las Vegas to Florida, at sea level with wet fairways and no roll. That's why all these claims of high handicappers easily averaging 300+ yards have to be taken with a huge grain of salt.

This for sure.  Most days on the courses I normally play most of my drives will go at least 270 and many will end up in the 290-300 range, but put me on a course with soft fairways and minimal roll out and I remember that really I just carry in the 250s, maybe in the 260s on my absolute BEST drives, and I'm just used to hard SoCal muni fairways baked in the sun and minimally watered that give 40 yards of rollout so I think I'm a 280s or 290s hitter instead of a 260s or 270s hitter :)

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I hit 2[quote name="JCRuzanski" url="/t/18107/20-handicappers-hitting-300-yards-mild-rant/1080#post_893872"]That's wrong 260 carry on the range that uses regular balls... 240 carry with pinnacle range balls at the other place...[/quote]i hit 270 on the course and hit it like 230 at the range. Probably because I keep my spin rates at around 1200 with prov1s

I hit 2

i hit 270 on the course and hit it like 230 at the range. Probably because I keep my spin rates at around 1200 with prov1s

Nick, I think when you use your phone to "Quote" another person that you start typing right away. And then it inserts the quote box. Then the cursor moves, and you retype what you just typed.

I can't think of any other reason to explain why a lot of your posts have a fragment at the top above the quote, and then the full sentence below, with the repeated fragment. See the "I hit 2" above.

It happens a lot to you, but to nobody else.  Just wanted to let you know.

Also, you can use this site to analyze spin rates on distance:

http://www.flightscope.com/index.php/Technology-Explained/trajectory-optimizer.html

As I recall, for your ball speeds around 165mph or so, the optimum spin is over 1200 rpm, more like 2200 or so- according to its simulation.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Nick, I think when you use your phone to "Quote" another person that you start typing right away. And then it inserts the quote box. Then the cursor moves, and you retype what you just typed. I can't think of any other reason to explain why a lot of your posts have a fragment at the top above the quote, and then the full sentence below, with the repeated fragment. See the "I hit 2" above. It happens a lot to you, but to nobody else.  Just wanted to let you know. Also, you can use this site to analyze spin rates on distance: [URL=http://www.flightscope.com/index.php/Technology-Explained/trajectory-optimizer.html]http://www.flightscope.com/index.php/Technology-Explained/trajectory-optimizer.html[/URL] As I recall, for your ball speeds around 165mph or so, the optimum spin is over 1200 rpm, more like 2200 or so- according to its simulation.

I didnt realize it did that thank you. And I use the kind of modern flight of high launch low spin like bubba. It's mainly because I use an x stuff shaft I think

• Administrator
I didnt realize it did that thank you. And I use the kind of modern flight of high launch low spin like bubba. It's mainly because I use an x stuff shaft I think

1200 is way too low and I doubt you're hitting any shots with only 1200 RPM spin.

Regardless, this isn't a thread about you. You're a 5.9 according to your profile. Let's get back to the original topic please.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

This for sure.  Most days on the courses I normally play most of my drives will go at least 270 and many will end up in the 290-300 range, but put me on a course with soft fairways and minimal roll out and I remember that really I just carry in the 250s, maybe in the 260s on my absolute BEST drives, and I'm just used to hard SoCal muni fairways baked in the sun and minimally watered that give 40 yards of rollout so I think I'm a 280s or 290s hitter instead of a 260s or 270s hitter :)

This could very well be true for a lot of us, problem is unless we play on a soft course we won't really know what our carry is. Unless we get have the opportunity to get on a trackman, though that's not even truly accurate I hear.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Or you see the ball mark, and your ball has backed up a yard. I've done it, spun back a driver. Anyone who lives in Ohio knows courses can go from soft to concrete in about 2 days. Its absurd.

Honestly, to me all that matters is ball speed. If you got the ball speed, you got the ability to hit that yardage. All that matters now is harnessing it consistently.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Or you see the ball mark, and your ball has backed up a yard. I've done it, spun back a driver. Anyone who lives in Ohio knows courses can go from soft to concrete in about 2 days. Its absurd.

Honestly, to me all that matters is ball speed. If you got the ball speed, you got the ability to hit that yardage. All that matters now is harnessing it consistently.

I did that once too! I felt completely cheated since it was solidly struck.

Back on topic, I would tend to agree with you. However, the ball speed numbers are often hard to come by depending on the availability of a Trackman or launch monitor in the person's area. I guess the closest you could come to estimating ball speed without that is to find out the shutter speed of the camera used for a swing video, then find what the swing speed is by measuring the distance traveled by the club in each frame. It would be a rough estimate, but if you could do that you would be able to approximate how far someone in a given video would be able to hit a perfectly struck drive.

Actually most simulators at your local golf stores are accurate with ball speed. The rest is all calculated by equations. But the machines directly measure ball speed and spin rate.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Actually most simulators at your local golf stores are accurate with ball speed. The rest is all calculated by equations. But the machines directly measure ball speed and spin rate.

Just saying that those simulators aren't always easily accessible. I know the nearest one to me is more than an hour away.

Thanks to rock hard fairways and a perfectly stuck driver I had about a 350 yd drive, probably had at least 50+ yards of bounce and roll due to the extremely hard ground though. Got the distance using google maps and draftlogic. Could be off by a few yards either way, only used driver a few times that day because it really wasn't necessary. We were playing in a scramble and I knew that someone would lay up safe so I had no pressure on the shot and was able to just let loose. I also won longest drive on the 2nd par 5 by over 30 yards. Now, I'm not saying this is by any means "average" or "typical" for me and I really don't think my handicap is 22 anymore but I haven't been playing for scores outside of league play lately because I've been working on some swing changes.

I had a couple other really good tee shots with my 3 hybrid, those had a pretty decent breeze helping that went around 250 carry. Something was clicking on Saturday for me, I had more good shots than bad and we typically used one or more of my shots per hole. I had the lowest handicap on the team and we still ended up coming in at -4 and -7 won. Obviously the caliber of players in my league aren't exactly stellar, but the winning team's average handicap was probably about 12. Was a great day and a lot of fun, most fun I've ever had in a scramble.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Looks like your ball rolled right over the pond. Is it a new type of floating golf ball bro?

An old pro once told me this....."No matter what youre going through in life....Never sell your golf clubs."

I was thinking it landed just over that pond and rolled up to where it stopped just short of the green actually, the 150 marker is just at the end of the fairway short of the pond.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

I hit 2 i hit 270 on the course and hit it like 230 at the range. Probably because I keep my spin rates at around 1200 with prov1s

I am out of TheSandtrap until this fool leaves. I can't stand it any longer. It's like talking to a 5 year old. I could block him, but he represents all that is wrong with youth and delusional golfers.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Thanks to rock hard fairways and a perfectly stuck driver I had about a 350 yd drive, probably had at least 50+ yards of bounce and roll due to the extremely hard ground though. Got the distance using google maps and draftlogic. Could be off by a few yards either way, only used driver a few times that day because it really wasn't necessary.

Nice drive.  But more importantly, would you have gotten up and down for birdie or what?  Also, how far was it to carry that pond?

I am out of TheSandtrap until this fool leaves. I can't stand it any longer. It's like talking to a 5 year old. I could block him, but he represents all that is wrong with youth and delusional golfers.

Oh c'mon.  I think he's delusional too, but it's no reason to ruin your forum experience.  I've been close to unsubscribing to this thread a couple times, but that would be the extent of my disconnection.  When I feel that way, I just stop reading the subscription for a few days.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Note: This thread is 1546 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!