IGNORED

20+ handicappers hitting 300 yards (mild rant)

Note: This thread is 1527 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

5 minutes ago, Daniel Coleman said:

but a good indication of my length is when I’m on the green in 2 on 575 yard par 5s, or driving par 4 greens.

Yet you still make bogey or worse?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, Vinsk said:

I make occasional birdies and pars.  I’ve had my mid 80s days, and I’ve had my 100 days. I’m good for about 1 misshit per hole on average

I’m an excellent 2nd ball golfer.

i had about 5 years of once a year golf after having kids. Recently playing now though once per week and hitting range more consistently.

game is starting to really improve after the refocus.

Just now, Vinsk said:

14 minutes ago, Daniel Coleman said:

There’s no mistaking monster drives. I’m definitely not down to a gnats ass regarding exact calculations of yardage, but a good indication of my length is when I’m on the green in 2 on 575 yard par 5s, or driving par 4 greens. 

Since you are on the green in 2 on 575 yd par 5s and drive par 4 greens then both your putting and your par 3s must be absolutely terrible for you to have OVER a 20 handicap.

Extremely extremely unlikely that someone who shoots in the 100s can get on the green in 2 on par 5s and drive the green on par 4s on any sort of a regular basis. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

1 minute ago, klineka said:

Since you are on the green in 2 on 575 yd par 5s and drive par 4 greens then both your putting and your par 3s must be absolutely terrible for you to have OVER a 20 handicap.

Extremely extremely unlikely that someone who shoots in the 100s can get on the green in 2 on par 5s and drive the green on par 4s on any sort of a regular basis. 

1 minute ago, klineka said:

That is an example of something that literally just happened yesterday.

im a business owner father of 3 little ones just getting back into the game.

good to hear the disbelief though... I’m going to have a really big upside from what it sounds like

2 minutes ago, Daniel Coleman said:

good to hear the disbelief though... I’m going to have a really big upside from what it sounds like

What reason do we have to believe anything you are saying? 

You are making very extreme claims about your distance and abilities relative to your handicap and have provided no proof to back up your claims. Of course we are going to show doubt and disbelief. 

Post your launch monitor numbers. Get a stat tracking device (GameGolf, Arccos, ShotScope, etc) that shows you real GPS yardages for how far you hit the ball.

At this point even you posting some videos of your swing in the "Members Swings" section of this site would be more proof than you have provided so far. 

Until you provide any proof expect most people to doubt you.

Just to put it into perspective, I've had some pretty great holes concerning below par score with some really sub-par drives in comparison to the 300+ yard discussion here. Distance is great, but golf as a whole involves all aspects to be dialed in. Driver, Woods, Irons, Wedges, and Putter.

Look at the WLD, if the guys on the PGA could hit it that far along with the rest of the tools in their arsenal it would be insane.

6 minutes ago, Hefdy said:

Just to put it into perspective, I've had some pretty great holes concerning below par score with some really sub-par drives in comparison to the 300+ yard discussion here. Distance is great, but golf as a whole involves all aspects to be dialed in. Driver, Woods, Irons, Wedges, and Putter.

Look at the WLD, if the guys on the PGA could hit it that far along with the rest of the tools in their arsenal it would be insane.

So true, most LD players barely shoot mid handicap scores. A few shoot scratch, but the swing is different.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

22 minutes ago, Daniel Coleman said:

It’s not a negative attitude we’re having nor do any of us care if you drive it longer than us. This site takes golf and improving the game in a realistic approach. Facts, science and data. Statistically speaking you’re an outlier. And they exist. But before we’re gonna add you to the list of true outliers, we’re gonna need more than what you’ve said. Again, it’s not that you’re lying, I just think your distance may not be what you think it is.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

3 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Again, it’s not that you’re lying, I just think your distance may not be what you think it is.

There’s that too, I suppose. I was just talking to someone who says he hits 275 yards, but is an 18 or higher handicap.

There’s a difference between perception and understanding.

BTW, it’s totally possible to drive a par 4 green then still have a 50 yard shot backwards, then hit the distance of a 575 yard par 5 and still have a 100 yard shot sideways to the green. Totally... 😂

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

3 minutes ago, Hefdy said:

I'm confused. Why did you post a link to your swing on this thread?

Just now, Hefdy said:

Proof was asked for

Proof from @Daniel Coleman to back up his claims. 

I was once a 20-30 handicapper and could hit it just as far as in the video. Granted I've put thousands of hours into where I'm at now but could still crank one out just as far inconsistently.

Reading through a lot of the post is pretty interesting. Im a 20 and I can drive over 300 as long as I get a 2nd shot added to my 200 yd drive. My son is 30 years younger then me and golf's year round, is a 7, and averages about 250. He'll get the occasional smoked down hill dry fairway 300 but its not every round. A couple weeks ago I was in a PGA superstore  and a younger guy was testing out a driver and had a few guys watching him so I waited for his next shot. All i can say is he carried 3 out of 4 310 and his swing was like watching TV, i would bet my next grandkid that he was no 20 handicap. 

9 hours ago, Hefdy said:

@Daniel Coleman @Hefdy

Start a My Swing thread in the Members swing section. There are folks here who can help with aspects of your game to help lower your scores. If driving distance isn’t a weak point, then we can help with the areas that are and get the scores down. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

300 yards isn't that mythical guys. Alot of people out there with the raw ability to hit a golf ball that far. When I started out I would shoot in the 100's and could hit over 300 no sweat. When I went to get fitted I was averaging about 125mph club head speed. Now I shoot mid 80's on average and have gone as low as 78 which I'm proud of. Went to fitter a few months back and topped around 134 mph driver club head speed. Basically just an ex college baseball player. I got a few buddies that can hit it a long way too. Now I don't bring out the driver near as much. Tend to hit my 2 iron more when I'm not 100% about my driver.

15 minutes ago, Casualgolfer said:

300 yards isn't that mythical guys. Alot of people out there with the raw ability to hit a golf ball that far. When I started out I would shoot in the 100's and could hit over 300 no sweat. When I went to get fitted I was averaging about 125mph club head speed. Now I shoot mid 80's on average and have gone as low as 78 which I'm proud of. Went to fitter a few months back and topped around 134 mph driver club head speed. Basically just an ex college baseball player. I got a few buddies that can hit it a long way too. Now I don't bring out the driver near as much. Tend to hit my 2 iron more when I'm not 100% about my driver.

But it is rare for the average golfer to hit that far consistently. I’ve never played with anyone who could average 300 let alone 280 on a regular basis except a couple of scratch players. 

I have played with some younger players who were college baseball players. They could occasionally crank one out there, but for the most part struggled to keep it straight, which robbed distance. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 1527 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!