pmm5557

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

2,402 posts / 490921 viewsLast Reply

30 minutes ago, topoftheline89 said:

The results are in.

Today I went to the range with a specific goal of ranging in my new to me Cleveland TA7 irons. I have always known I don't get a lot of distance out of my irons, now I know exactly how little. All measurements are in yards carried. All with range balls. 

4i=  140-145

5i= 135-145

6i= 130-150

7i= 110-140

8i= 130-135

9i= 90-100

pw= 50-75

Didn't hit driver today but usually I carry about 200-220 driving with a 9 degree driver, plenty of roll out resulting in 220-250 drives.

I am thinking swing speed and lack of hips have much to do with these results.I'm  6'1 225# large framed person.

Glad to see you got to get out with the new clubs. Range session after I get off work tomorrow? Wanna see those puppies in action. Maybe I'll bring the Eye2s instead of my normal bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

These are my averages from shot tracking app. Total distance, not carry. Carry for my 7i on GC Quad is around 160, but not sure how this translates through the bag.

Driver: 270

5W: 224

23 deg H: 211

4i: 140 🤮

5i: 189

6i: 181

7i: 176 (realistically more like 165, but I hit 7i on two downhill tee balls per round)

8i: 150

9i: 143

PW: 129

GW: 109

SW: 94

LW: 72

2 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

Carry for my 7i on GC Quad is around 160

This is what matters.  Carry.  Do you own the quad?  I have a gc2.

Just now, ncates00 said:

This is what matters.  Carry.  Do you own the quad?  I have a gc2.

I wish! I take lessons with an instructor who uses one. Usually we just work with just the 7 iron so I've never bothered to go through the entire bag on the launch monitor.

Eventually I'll get around to doing that, but on course I usually just take 5-10 yards off those averages as a best guess for carry.

46 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

I wish! I take lessons with an instructor who uses one. Usually we just work with just the 7 iron so I've never bothered to go through the entire bag on the launch monitor.

Eventually I'll get around to doing that, but on course I usually just take 5-10 yards off those averages as a best guess for carry.

Gotcha.  They're a nice toy if you're willing to take the plunge.  

Yeah, I would get all my "reasonably good" average carry numbers with every club.  I'd also look at ballspeed too, so you can gauge how well you're hitting it.  As you probably know, you can "cheat" your distances with delivery, e.g., getting less spin on your irons and the like.  Ballspeed, on the other hand, is really good metric to look at.  Ballspeed is my primary data point.  That and I want to see a consistent start line to the right with under 1k draw spin with the irons and only a couple hundred with woods (keep hooks away).  For example, I know my 6i gets about 124-128 mph of ballspeed.  That will give me my 178-183 carry number with the spin I want at the clubhead speed I have.  Same for driver, I know that I'm striking it well, for the clubhead speed I have, if I'm getting 155-160 ballspeed.  FYI, be careful with ballspeed with the shorter clubs though; it's really easy to ramp up the ballspeed with over-the-top trap draws and make you think you're killing the ball haha.  

16 hours ago, ncates00 said:

Gotcha.  They're a nice toy if you're willing to take the plunge.

I've strongly considered, but there don't seem to be many options between the handheld monitors like Mevo and SwingCaddie and the big boys like Trackman and GC2/GC4. I have an energized, free standing garage which I am in process of straightening out, and I would like to eventually get a simulator set up inside.

60 degree - 30      .

I swing very easy. I am working a lot on increasing swing speed with center hits. I seem to use my forward arm mostly since my trail elbow has some minor issues (physical). And of course prefer tee's around 6100 yards and LESS. I can avoid doubles and get my share of birdies around 5600 yards. I was fitted for driver and had swing speed of 95, but averaged 84 during the hour.

SW65

PW85

9 - 95-100

8 -100-105

7 - 110

6 - 125

5- 135

4h - 145-155

3h - 160-165

3w 175-195

Driver - 185-215