IGNORED

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Note: This thread is 992 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't mind defending my distances. There's no point in me lying on a forum anyway. Not here to try and impress, just here to talk golf and absorb more information. I will be posting up driver/ long iron/ mid iron and wedge shot videos soon. Next time I get to the range I'll try to record. Thanks everyone.

What I don't understand is why the proportions are so skewed depending on the people. I murder my irons but compared to the new guy above. My driver is very weak.

Hitting a driver is very different from hitting an iron. If you try to trap a driver like you do with irons, you're not going to hit it far... Also, who saw Dustin Johnson carry his 6-iron 220 on the par 3 yesterday? Not really downwind either.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What I don't understand is why the proportions are so skewed depending on the people. I murder my irons but compared to the new guy above. My driver is very weak.

Friction.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Quote:

What is your swing speed like? I'm a big guy ( 6' tall/ 230lbs muscular/ average build ), using a low-spin driver (SLDR, previously amp cell pro) and my swing speed is about 110. Mind you, I do occasionally catch some drives off the toe that go 260 or so. But when hit flush, on the upswing and on the center of the club face, I average 300 or so.

What is your swing speed like? I'm a big guy ( 6' tall/ 230lbs muscular/ average build ), using a low-spin driver (SLDR, previously amp cell pro) and my swing speed is about 110. Mind you, I do occasionally catch some drives off the toe that go 260 or so. But when hit flush, on the upswing and on the center of the club face, I average 300 or so.

A swing speed of 110, with a smash factor of near 1.48, produces around 265 carry. You get 35 yards roll where you play? That would be nice. We're lucky to get 5 yards roll. After a rain, it's more like minus one yard.

A swing speed of 110, with a smash factor of near 1.48, produces around 265 carry. You get 35 yards roll where you play? That would be nice. We're lucky to get 5 yards roll. After a rain, it's more like minus one yard.

In his defense, he specified that the ground is really hard and he's getting a ton of roll at the courses he's been playing just a few posts back.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

In his defense, he specified that the ground is really hard and he's getting a ton of roll at the courses he's been playing just a few posts back.

I understand that, and I'm not doubting his claim. It is nice that he honestly stated his swing speed.  That's why I posted the carry distance that could be expected from a 110 mph swing speed.  300 at his course would be 270 max on my course.

I understand that, and I'm not doubting his claim. It is nice that he honestly stated his swing speed.  That's why I posted the carry distance that could be expected from a 110 mph swing speed.  300 at his course would be 270 max on my course.

Yes. I get a lot of roll out on my courses here. Fairways that sit in the sacramento heat are very nice to low spin drives. And as far as calculated carry distance just by looking at swing speed? C'mon man. There are so many other factors that need to be observed. I'm not saying it's all BS, but these charts don't apply to everyone.

Sometimes it's just the way a person turns their hands over, angle of attack, shot shape, and current course conditions. I get warm weather and sun for 8-9 months of the year. And as far as my swing speed goes, that's when I swing smooth and try not to rip it. We all know that we try to kill it sometimes.

Well for one as someone with a similar HI I know the big distance killer for me is missing fairways and I'm not even hitting 50%. We also have fast baked out fairways. Snag one in the rough and there goes your roll. If you're tracking all drives, not just the good ones you probably see a pretty big variance. That's the problem with the I hit the shit out of the ball and my average is high threads. It suggests consistency few amateurs are capable of.

Dave :-)

Swingspeed is about 105-110 I do beleive. Hit driver with about 270 carry(sc I have a better chance of backing up a driver(it happens) and a downhill slope is unheard of) but my pw is 140 7 iron is 170 and 4 iron 200. Some days I'm hitting it 5 yards more but hardly ever less

Yes. I get a lot of roll out on my courses here. Fairways that sit in the sacramento heat are very nice to low spin drives. And as far as calculated carry distance just by looking at swing speed? C'mon man. There are so many other factors that need to be observed. I'm not saying it's all BS, but these charts don't apply to everyone.

Sometimes it's just the way a person turns their hands over, angle of attack, shot shape, and current course conditions. I get warm weather and sun for 8-9 months of the year. And as far as my swing speed goes, that's when I swing smooth and try not to rip it. We all know that we try to kill it sometimes.

A tour pro swing speed of 113 generates a 275 yard carry, more or less.  I was being kind and giving you a PGA Tour quality smash factor and perfect launch conditions for my 265 yard assessment of your 110 swing speed.

Driver: 290-310 3w: 265 3h: 245 4i: 225-230 5i: 200-210 6i: 190 7i: 175 8i: 160 9i: 145 PW: 130 GW: 110 SW: 90 LW: 75 Irons are pretty accurate. Driver depends on conditions. Just picked up the TMaG SLDR this week and put it to the test yesterday. I was averaging 315 or so off the tee when hit flush and centered on the face. Courses are still pretty dry here in northern cali so I'm getting good roll. Oh btw.... FIRST POST.

For such long distances your short irons And wedges don't make any sense.

I don't doubt us hacks kill one once in a while. Averaging it is an entirely different thing. That's why I think these threads are hilarious. Every seems to get their averages from the rare long ball that is anything but. The guy that thins a 9i 180 only remembers the distance. He willingly forgets it wasn't a good shot that was supposed to carry 135 and that he made a double on that par 3 as a result.

• Upvote 1

Dave :-)

For such long distances your short irons And wedges don't make any sense.

I don't play a set yardage gap per club. I hit the ball very high. My buddy who drives the ball shorter than I do hits his pitching wedge ten yards further than I do mine. A lot of people on here talk about people inflating their yardages, but the thing that bothers me the most is when someone comes on here with honest yardages, everyone gets butthurt that they don't hit the ball as far. I figured I could come on here, post up and read some cool stuff. But a lot of you are so quick to shoot someone down out of....? Jealousy maybe? I dunno.

Why don't my short iron yardages make sense?

I don't doubt us hacks kill one once in a while. Averaging it is an entirely different thing. That's why I think these threads are hilarious. Every seems to get their averages from the rare long ball that is anything but. The guy that thins a 9i 180 only remembers the distance. He willingly forgets it wasn't a good shot that was supposed to carry 135 and that he made a double on that par 3 as a result.

Just so you know a thinned shot goes a good bit shorter

A tour pro swing speed of 113 generates a 275 yard carry, more or less.  I was being kind and giving you a PGA Tour quality smash factor and perfect launch conditions for my 265 yard assessment of your 110 swing speed.

arent you supposed to swing up on the driver- thats a big time distance killer. Even the 3 wood they hit down alot.

Just so you know a thinned shot goes a good bit shorter

It would usually CARRY a good bit shorter, but short irons unencumbered by rough, slopes or hazards are oftentimes going to go further than solid shots. I only wish that when I skull a wedge it would end up short of the green. :(

It would usually CARRY a good bit shorter, but short irons unencumbered by rough, slopes or hazards are oftentimes going to go further than solid shots. I only wish that when I skull a wedge it would end up short of the green. :(

For me if I catch a gw or up thin it will go about 70 percent and if I blade it than about 60. For my sw and below thin will go about 105 percent and blade 150 percent

Note: This thread is 992 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!