IGNORED

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Note: This thread is 981 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Curious about the variables assumed in this chart. It says that a 110 mph swing speed correlates with a 230 yard driver carry? That definitely sounds fishy. Further, it implies that there are tour pros that have those numbers.

The variables listed on the chart include Loft, COR, Launch Angle, Spin and Climate, so there are a lot of things that influence the total carry. The way I interpret the chart is that the two diagonal lines going up to the right equate, more or less, to quality of contact (smash factor). So the tour pro that has a 110 swing speed probably has a smash factor close to 1.50, which I would interpret to be the diagonal line to the right (optimum). That would give a carry distance of 250-255.  That sounds about right for the shortest hitters on tour.

The average golfers with much slower swing speeds probably also have less than perfect contact, which would tend to put them closer to the left diagonal line. Except on the internet, where a smash factor of 2.0 or greater is achieved, and 100 mph swing speeds routinely result in 300 yard carry distances.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelzzy

PW: 130-135

9-iron: 140+

8-iron: 150+

7-iron: 160+

6-iron: 175-ish

5-iron: Usually a low 180, but if I get ahold of it, I can reach 190.

Hybrid: 210-average

3-wood: Around 240-250

Driver: 300 fly average

EDIT: I can hit the 56 wedge over 120 yards, but it's not accurate and would never do it in serious play. A smooth swing usually carries it 75-80 yards. My 52 degree (GW) takes the ball around 100-110 yards.

These distances just make little to no sense, you have PW - 5 iron mashed into 60 yards, and then your next 3 covering well over 100 yards, this is why me along with many others are doubting you Kelzzy, you would have much greater gaps between your irons and your 5 iron should be your hybrid distance at the very least, something is not right here and I suspect your not hitting that driver 330 yards after 300 yards of carry. Haggin Oaks in Sac has probably the nearest Trackman in the area, why don't you try and make a trip down there to get truly accurate numbers.

http://www.hagginoaks.com/player-performance-studio-2/

For a 125mph driver swing speed on the driver, his 5 iron should yield 215 yards (carry). He also didn't say what loft angle he has on the hybrid. I was actually thinking he should be getting 250 with a 18/19 degree hybrid.

At 300 yards driver carry distance @Kelzzy should be hitting:

Driver- 300

3W- 270

Hybrid (19 degree)- 250

5 iron- 215

6i- 202

7i- 190

8i- 178

9i -166

PW- 152

However, note that he did put a + on all the distances.

I wonder if the 15 (almost 16) year old I know can hit his 7 iron anywhere close to 180-ish? He has a total drive of about 280 yards (can get to 300 sometimes). I will ask, and report.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Distance vs handicap doesn't always go as you'd expect. The below distances were the same when I was playing off 28, I'm now a 22hcp'r D 250 - 275 4h - 210 5h - 195 5i - 175 6i - 160 7i - 150 8i - 140 9i 130 Pw - 120 Sw - 110 60Lw - never hit it full but judging by previous posts by people that hit similar distances ... 70

These distances just make little to no sense, you have PW - 5 iron mashed into 60 yards, and then your next 3 covering well over 100 yards, this is why me along with many others are doubting you Kelzzy, you would have much greater gaps between your irons and your 5 iron should be your hybrid distance at the very least, something is not right here and I suspect your not hitting that driver 330 yards after 300 yards of carry. Haggin Oaks in Sac has probably the nearest Trackman in the area, why don't you try and make a trip down there to get truly accurate numbers.

http://www.hagginoaks.com/player-performance-studio-2/

I used to play right handed and his iron distances are more in line with my right handed yardages which were based off of a 103 mph driver swing speed. To carry golf balls over 300 yards you need a swingspeed in excess of 130 mph which would equate to at least an extra 30 yards on each of those posted iron distances. I fly every iron 20-25 yards further than those numbers but would be out driven by 15 yards and you are right that doesn't make any sense.

I used to play right handed and his iron distances are more in line with my right handed yardages which were based off of a 103 mph driver swing speed. To carry golf balls over 300 yards you need a swingspeed in excess of 130 mph which would equate to at least an extra 30 yards on each of those posted iron distances. I fly every iron 20-25 yards further than those numbers but would be out driven by 15 yards and you are right that doesn't make any sense.

Same with myself - I hit my irons around 20 yards further than his, but I only carry my driver around 270. Doesn't make any sense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Righty to Lefty

Same with myself - I hit my irons around 20 yards further than his, but I only carry my driver around 270. Doesn't make any sense.

Only??? ;-)

First time I ever heard of a 270 yard carry talked about in such a demeaning manner. lol :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Only??? ;-)   First time I ever heard of a 270 yard carry talked about in such a demeaning manner. lol :-D

"Only 270" is the phrase to use when you're dealing with Kelzzy.

5 iron 180 yards and driver 300.

I used to believe in magic, when i was 5.

Bettinardi Golf Kuchar #2 Cobra Bio Cell+ Callaway Razr Hawk 3W TaylorMade SLDR 19H Mizuno JPX 825-Pro 4-AW Scor 55 & 60 (Wedges)

I really don't give a damn if you believe. This thread was to say your average distances, yet when I do, you all jump on me. Butthurt, old men. Jealous that I don't have to work a 9-5 job and suck at golf.

Oh well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopel10

I really don't give a damn if you believe. This thread was to say your average distances, yet when I do, you all jump on me. Butthurt, old men. Jealous that I don't have to work a 9-5 job and suck at golf.

Oh well.

Hey Kelzzy, welcome back.

Please don't get yourself into a penalty box again.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I really don't give a damn if you believe. This thread was to say your average distances, yet when I do, you all jump on me. Butthurt, old men. Jealous that I don't have to work a 9-5 job and suck at golf. Oh well.

5 iron 180, driver 300....From now on I'll use you as an example of hackers over exaggerating their distances, forever. So thank you :)

Bettinardi Golf Kuchar #2 Cobra Bio Cell+ Callaway Razr Hawk 3W TaylorMade SLDR 19H Mizuno JPX 825-Pro 4-AW Scor 55 & 60 (Wedges)

I'm not jealous that you suck at golf.[quote name="Kelzzy" url="/t/18426/average-distances-how-far-do-you-hit-each-club-and-dont-lie/1332#post_934017"]Jealous that I don't have to work a 9-5 job and suck at golf. [/quote]

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Oh well.

In the realm of golf, when someone ways 300 usually its 250. The number of times amateurs overestimates their driving distance is astronomical. So we are just playing the odds. If you do, congrats. But by the distance you hit your irons, and the gap from your 3 wood to your driver, we should be questioning it.

A 3 wood is about 1-2 inches shorter than a driver, and about 3-4 degrees. That From your distance, of 250, you should be somewhere around 270 yards average for a driver, 30 yards less than your claim. That would match your iron claims as well. For how ever you claim to drive the ball 300 yards, your other clubs don't back it up. You just don't hit irons that short, and the 3 wood that short, and suddenly get 300 yard average with the driver.

I am sure you have been warned before about making personal attacks, and ass hat remarks like you just did. We are disputing your claims, not attacking you personally, yet you attack us personally. How do you think that makes you look. If you can back up your claims, then do so, otherwise behave more maturely please.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

ok i have a question for everyone. are my distances around where they should be? at the PGA superstore the machine thing said my club speed is 112mph. here are my actual distances on the course. i feel like my irons are shorter than my woods. any info on how to increase my club speed would be greatly appreciated as well.

Driver - 285

3W - 245

3 iron - 220

4 iron - 210

5 iron - 195

6 iron - 180

7 iron - 170

8 iron - 160

9 iron - 145

PW - 130

56* - 110

60* - 85

edit - distances are total not carry, except 6 -60*

For Sale: Ping i3+ 2i-UW

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Odyssey Versa Black/White LH Putter

I'm not jealous that you suck at golf.

LOL ... the dangling modifier was the first thing I noticed as well.  Or was it a Freudian slip?? ;)

In the realm of golf, when someone ways 300 usually its 250. The number of times amateurs overestimates their driving distance is astronomical. So we are just playing the odds. If you do, congrats. But by the distance you hit your irons, and the gap from your 3 wood to your driver, we should be questioning it.

A 3 wood is about 1-2 inches shorter than a driver, and about 3-4 degrees. That From your distance, of 250, you should be somewhere around 270 yards average for a driver, 30 yards less than your claim. That would match your iron claims as well. For how ever you claim to drive the ball 300 yards, your other clubs don't back it up. You just don't hit irons that short, and the 3 wood that short, and suddenly get 300 yard average with the driver.

I am sure you have been warned before about making personal attacks, and ass hat remarks like you just did. We are disputing your claims, not attacking you personally, yet you attack us personally. How do you think that makes you look. If you can back up your claims, then do so, otherwise behave more maturely please.

Bingo.  And in some cases (mine, for example) we are skeptical not only because we've seen others artificially (and accidentally) inflate their driver distances, but we've done it ourselves.  I used to think I "averaged" 290-310 with my driver.  Then I started reading on here, and thinking about it more, then I started really paying attention.  And it turned out, what I was doing was selectively remembering only the drives I cared to remember.  The one or two bombs from each round that I actually measured.  Conveniently ignoring the other 12 or so.  As it turns out, I'm only averaging 260-ish on my driver, and maybe I'll hit one out there to 290 or 300 every round or two if I'm lucky.

Point is (kelzzy) that nobody is jealous, nobody is a hater, and nobody is "mad," ... we've just seen too many people say that they average something close to or more than PGA tour pros to believe it anymore.

If you are accurate though, and then post your swing, then maybe we'd start believing you.

Oh well.

2 posts and back in penalty box. :doh:

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

ok i have a question for everyone. are my distances around where they should be? at the PGA superstore the machine thing said my club speed is 112mph. here are my actual distances on the course. i feel like my irons are shorter than my woods. any info on how to increase my club speed would be greatly appreciated as well. Driver - 285 3W - 245 3 iron - 220 4 iron - 210 5 iron - 195 6 iron - 180 7 iron - 170 8 iron - 160 9 iron - 145 PW - 130 56* - 110 60* - 85  edit - distances are total not carry, except 6 -60*

Nice distances.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Nice distances.

they seem in order? i thought 220-250 was a pretty big gap from 3 iron to 3 wood. kinda sucks on a really long par 3 like 220-235. i thought with my swing speed the irons would go further. only like 10 yards but still. do clubs make any difference in distance? sorry if i sound like i was dropped as a child but I'm still figuring out the hardware side of golf

For Sale: Ping i3+ 2i-UW

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Odyssey Versa Black/White LH Putter

Note: This thread is 981 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!