IGNORED

Shell's Wonderful World of Golf...

MSDOGS1976
Note: This thread is 736 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

These were back in the day when $100K went to the winner. These guys today laugh at that. It would take probably $500K to the winner to get anyone worth watching to fly off somewhere and play a match. That is why you won't see any new Shell WWOG.

You may be right. You would think they could get some decent guys for $250k to the winner, $100k to the loser. Plus they could tape some of these close by a regular tour event so they are not having to fly all over creation. They had a match between Azinger and Seve once at one of the British Open sites. Probably taped a few days before or after the event as all stands were still in place. But maybe ratings were off and that is why they stopped the series.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

You are absolutyely right. One on one, you see every shot. There are often higher risk/reward shots attempted. Much more fun to watch. There is way more strategy involved. The pace tends to be quicker (gimmie's and pick ups)

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Gary Player is pure greatness. Amazing what he did considering his build. Arguably, the best bunker player ever. He also has the best one liner golf tips. "strike the match" when chipping. "Complete the follow through" on the full swing.

I agree with everything that you wrote. Like Jack and Arnie, he is still extremely active with various golf and business activities. I subscribe to his magazine, "Player", which is an excellent publication. Naturally, it details his latest ventures, including course design, his horse ranch, support for education of youngsters in South Africa, etc. His interviews with Peter Kessler on "Golf Talk Live" on The Golf Channel are real classics, including the one with "Arnold". He is famous for his golf quips, including "park the car in the ga--rage at the top of the swing". Here is a quick story, that I am publishing in my golf magazine in April. My son's golf coach at St. Lawrence was Mary Lawrence, who was an All-American at Miami and then played the LPGA Tour for 5 years. One year, when she was competing in a college tournament in Florida, Gary Player and Rabbit Dyer watched as she hit a par 5 in two, and then made birdie. As she walked off the green, Player approached her: "Nice shot,there, young lady" "Thank you, Mr. Player. It was a good way to end the round." "Would you like some advice on bunker play?" asked one of the great Masters on playing from the sand. Of course, she said, "Yes", and they went over to a practice sand trap. "Now listen to me as I demonstrate---soft sand, hard hands. Hard sand, soft hands." He is right, you know.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

Well it's a rainy cool day today so a good day to pull out one of my Shell's golf tape. Bought a couple a few years ago. The one I'm going to watch was originally aired in 1966. Devicenzo vs Lema, played in Greece. Been so long since I bought the tape, I don't even remember who won.

Just read on the back of the tape box, that this was originally aired just 7 months before Lema was killed in a plane crash. Wow.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

It was a good match. Tony Lema won with a 67 to Roberto's 68. Won $7k to Roberto's $3k. Amazing how far they could hit the ball back then. Roberto hit one 325 yards but he was using a smaller ball and the fairways were hard looking.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

• 6 years later...

Shell's Wonderful World of Golf on all day today. Golf channel knows what we want but only gives it to us on Christmas.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, SavvySwede said:

Shell's Wonderful World of Golf on all day today. Golf channel knows what we want but only gives it to us on Christmas.

Time to fire up the dvr, rip it to files for later viewing.

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

On 1/3/2009 at 11:17 AM, MSDOGS1976 said:

What happen to this show? I know they started the series back up in the 90's but looks like the last episode was taped in 2003. I always thought it was a pretty good series.

Probably went the same way as Big Break.  Just not enough viewer.  But I have been enjoying the Christmas season reruns.  

Butch

I was one of the paramedics providing coverage of the Mickleson vs Montgomerie at Cordillera.  Not much of a spectator event.  Action is only on one hole and the entire gallery is trying to get a view.  Luckily it was a small crowd that day and views were pretty good.  Montgomerie ran away with the event thus not much to watch.

I just don't think there are enough stories, mini-dramas, good and bad shots to see.  I find them boring actually and much prefer full tourneys..

On 1/5/2009 at 8:52 PM, uttexas said:

Gary Player is pure greatness. Amazing what he did considering his build. Arguably, the best bunker player ever. He also has the best one liner golf tips. "strike the match" when chipping. "Complete the follow through" on the full swing.

That, and he was and is stubborn enough to wear all black even in 90* plus weather. I support him with not divulging who told that he/she was taking performance enhancers. Something public needed to be said, and not divulging the source, despite pressure from the media (the media seem hipocritical on this and a lot of things) shows great character.

Another Player tip----"at the top of your swing, park the car in the garage". He is one of my all-time favorite Champions!

Watching Phil and Freddie at the moment.  I wish I were at home or I'd record it.  I wish there were a way to find them online consistently.  Does anyone know if Golf Channel's Roku app would have them in a week when I'm home?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

On 1/23/2009 at 9:38 PM, mirv said:

i personally would rather see the 1-on-1 than a tournament any day of the week. i may be the minority there, though.

I agree with you. In match play, you always know where you stand and have to adjust according to that. Most clubs in our area use match play in their club championships, and the PGA used that format in their Championship for years. The HAIG was THE KING, winning 5,  and 4 in a row!****My favorite match is the Hawk ( Hogan) vs. The Slammer (Snead) at the Houston CC. Second is Snead vs. Demaret at the Eisenhower GC at the Air Force Academy. Third favorite is Payne vs. Price. All three are great, close matches!

9 hours ago, PEZGolf said:

Another Player tip----"at the top of your swing, park the car in the garage". He is one of my all-time favorite Champions!

What the heck does that mean? :hmm:

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I wish they'd start making these again.  The ones they are currently showing are so dated that I don't find them that interesting, but I still love the concept.

But if I could watch a Jordan Spieth vs. Rory McIlroy or Bubba v. JD or Rickie v. DJ casual but competitive match played at any number of courses that the pros DON'T normally play (Pine Valley, Mauna Kea, Bandon whichever, any number of famous old courses that might be a little under equipped to host majors anymore, etc, etc) then sign me up!!  I'd watch that in a heartbeat.

54 minutes ago, mvmac said:

What the heck does that mean? :hmm:

Pause at the top of the swing to allow for the transition from back swing to downswing.  DO NOT RUSH IT LIKE BEGINNERS DO or you will slice your shot

• Administrator
8 hours ago, PEZGolf said:

Pause at the top of the swing to allow for the transition from back swing to downswing.  DO NOT RUSH IT LIKE BEGINNERS DO or you will slice your shot

It's OT to get into this, but… the pause at the top is not why beginners slice.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

13 hours ago, PEZGolf said:

I agree with you. In match play, you always know where you stand and have to adjust according to that. Most clubs in our area use match play in their club championships, and the PGA used that format in their Championship for years. The HAIG was THE KING, winning 5,  and 4 in a row

I agree, I love both playing and watching match play events.  However, the Shell WWOG series was always a stroke-play exhibition. 

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Note: This thread is 736 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!