IGNORED

Overlap vs Interlock vs Baseball Grips

Note: This thread is 4022 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When I started playing, I used an overlapping grip, but I found it to be uncomfortable (most likely due to improper grip pressure) so I switched to the interlocking grip.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried all 3 over the course of my playing career and have settled on interlocking.

bwdial: A fan of the Bear like me! Nice!!!

FORE!

Cleveland CG7 3-PW fitted, stiff shafts
Hand me down putter, Jack Nicklaus model
Cleveland Hibore 3 wood 13 deg. stiff shaftCleveland Launcher 9 deg, stiff shaft

I used an overlap for years and swithced to interlock and have never looked back. Seems to help keep my hands together as one unit and I am able to work the ball with much better results...... I say try them all and see how they feel....

3 Wood-Dynacraft Avatar XMOI w/Apollo FW Shadow
2/3 Hybrid-Power Play 5000 w/True Ace Red Storm Hybrid
4-PW Power Play System Q2 w/S Apollo Spectre Lite Steel
50*/54*/58*-Acer XB Satin w/S Apollo Spectre Lite Steel
Putter-Nike BC101Ball-Top Flite Gamer V2

I use a vardon grip and put a lot of emphasis on the importance of the grip. For the last 6 years I will start a month of heavy playing and then a develop pains in my palms and fingers. I will give it a few weeks of rest and start the whole cycle again. These injuries are not golf related, it just gets aggravated when i play continuously. I am going to try a 10 finger vardon style grip for month. I am still striking the ball well but the ball flight is a little lower. But it does allow me to keep a light grip pressure and maintain control. I will repost in about 6 weeks if this helps. This may be of interest for someone with similar problems.

I've been using a baseball grip so far... but I think I'm going to give the overlap a try. Maybe it'll help my hands work more in unity. I'll see how it goes!

Cheers,

I have always been a 10 finger guy. I am slowly working on switching to a different grip because I can feel my right hand swinging the club on occaision. I just have to tell my self to let my left hand pull the club through impact rather than my right hand pushing.

I will eventually switch but 10 finger works for now.

Gibson Bay Golf Course

I started out with the interlock like Jack Nicklaus. However after reading Hogan: Five Lessons I gave his version of the Vardon Overlap a try.

I started liking it better because:
- It helped me eliminate casting (I found myself casting more often with the interlocking grip.)
- I can hit more balls before I start to get raw between those fingers.
- With the overlap I don't have the temptation to make my right hand grip too strong. It's very easy to interlock your fingers all the way. With the overlap it's next to impossible because there is noting to latch onto. (Again I use Hogan's version of the Vardon overlap where the pinky of the right hand fits in the groove between index and middle fingers of the left hand and wraps around the knuckle of the index finger on the left hand.)
ogio.gif  Grom Stand Bag: Stealth
ping.gif     G15  10 .5, G10 3W,  5W, S-57 3-W, Tour-W 50, 5 6, 60 : Redwood Anser Black Satin 34.5"
titleist.gif     Ball: ProV1

• 9 months later...

Definitely one of the most relevant threads for me right now.

After reading this thread I might give the overlap grip a go, in part to see if I have better wrist control and to avoid the nasty blisters on my right hand which make practicing damn near impossible right now.

My only question, is it worth learning a new grip if the interlock feels comfortable? My old coach wasn't the kind of guy who'd let comfort get in the way of a decent swing, so I'm not averse to retraining my muscles and mind to accept a new grip.

I currently use baseball, but may switch to an interlock as I have been having issues with overdrawing/hooking the ball lately....try something new and see how it goes...I have fiddled around with the interlock, felt a little weird but was hitting the ball as bad as usual, so it doesn't really matter

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Originally Posted by Kieran123

I currently use baseball, but may switch to an interlock as I have been having issues with overdrawing/hooking the ball lately....try something new and see how it goes...I have fiddled around with the interlock, felt a little weird but was hitting the ball as bad as usual, so it doesn't really matter

Do you actually use a baseball grip or are you referring to a 10-finger golf grip (same as overlap without the overlap)?

My tee would need to be 2 feet long to hit a driver with a true baseball grip. Or I'd need a 108" shaft.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Do you actually use a baseball grip or are you referring to a 10-finger golf grip (same as overlap without the overlap)?

My tee would need to be 2 feet long to hit a driver with a true baseball grip. Or I'd need a 108" shaft.

I use a 'baseball' grip

Better?

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Originally Posted by Kieran123

I use a 'baseball' grip

Better?

I need to see this grip. Maybe I'll look at your swing thread.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Double overlap for me.  Big hands.  XL glove size.  Little finger of my trailing hand in groove between index and middle finger of lead hand, just as in the overlap.  Ring finger of my trailing hand rides up on index finger of lead hand.

This is more comfortable for me, and it puts my wrists a little closer together.  I can also use the overlap, and there is no difference in distance, but I am more accurate with the double overlap.

Interlock does not work at all with my hands.

I've tried them all, but started with the interlock and will use it till I can no longer play. I have large hands, XXL glove, and grip the club way down in my fingers.

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Went out on the range yesterday and experimented with each grip with a 7 iron, Driver, and Hybrid iron.

Found the 10 finger grip good for what I can only call a Happy Gilmore like approach to the ball, just beat the ball and close my eyes - might have killed a passerby on the fairway beside the range.

Interlocking was best with my irons and allowed me to work the ball a little, could definitely produce a wider variety of shots. Overlap kind of felt loose and uncontrolled on the irons (I've only ever played an interlocking grip).

My driver which I normally fade the ball with went straighter when I gripped it with an overlapping grip, felt more natural to roll my wrists slightly and prevented the face from opening on impact. I'm not even sure I can attribute this to the grip so much as a different attitude to hitting the ball with a new grip, a little more focused on slowing the swing down to feel for any differences brought on by the grip..

I might actually play 9 holes with the overlap next as I definitely hit the ball more consistently with it.

Interesting thread!

I have been using a baseball grip my hole golfing career (33 yrs). I started golfing at age 4, when every kid grips a club that way. Have never had a lesson, and would never change the way I swing.

IMO, there is no difference in the grips, as long as you practice and feel comfortable with whatever you choose.

Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated

Originally Posted by Pope33

Interesting thread!

I have been using a baseball grip my hole golfing career (33 yrs). I started golfing at age 4, when every kid grips a club that way. Have never had a lesson, and would never change the way I swing.

IMO, there is no difference in the grips, as long as you practice and feel comfortable with whatever you choose.

Really? Baseball grips would seem to be more wristy to me than overlapping and interlocking.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4022 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!