IGNORED

Groove Sharpening

Note: This thread is 2189 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 hours ago, Bennett Stone said:

Do groove sharpeners work, how much more spin will I be getting, do they comply with usga rules and should I get one? Another thing do they ruin your clubs, and can I use them on my irons  thanks guys :)

Read the first page of this thread.   @iacas answered it I believe in the second post many years ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm sure others will chime in but when you sharpen the grooves your clubs will become nonconforming to use in a tournament.    Do a search.   There is a thread around here about the exact same thing. 

• Like 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I am of the opinion that although they help, grooves are not the only contributor to generating back spin. 

Other than keeping them clean, I have never worried much about the grooves on my club. Even if my grooves were razor sharp, I don't have the swing technique to put maximum spin on the ball. 

Other times I might have the wrong lie to generate maximum spin. 

What ever spin I do put on the ball is usually good enough. 

• Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I think that means it's time for new clubs.  

The grooves will never really come out right.  I did a set of clubs one time with a Dremel...too much spin.  I once did a sand wedge with a hammer and chisel...guess how that came out...

• Like 1

• Administrator

Why don’t you look at your last post @Bennett Stone:

Pretty long topic there.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I tried a groove sharpener one time, waste of money. All it did was clean the dirt out, which there was very little of. The tool actually got dull before any grooves were sharpened. Buy new wedges instead. If you're not that particular Rock Bottoms Golf sells Callaway wedges pretty cheap.

• Like 1

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, Bennett Stone said:

Pretty long topic there. Just wanted to see if there are other options

Right… longer, existing topics are where you find lots of options and answers. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Ugh....this again. Just pony up for new wedges already 

Driver G with Tour 65 shaft 10.5 neutral setting by :ping:
3W G30, #3 and #4 Hybrid, Irons 5 to GW G25 by :ping:
54 & 58 Glide Wedges and putter Cadence TR Anser 2  Traditional also by :ping:
Ball TriSpeed Tour by :srixon: Shoes M Project Wide by :footjoy:
Bag and Push cart by :sunmountain:

Note: This thread is 2189 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!