IGNORED

What Are You Working On?

iacas
Note: This thread is 3218 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by gwlee7

I am going to be working on keeping the bill of my hat "looking at the ball" until I get it right.   I struggle with this and it is killing any hopes of consistency in my swing.

Hi Greg, start to add more of this feel.  Obviously since you're an Evolvr student, you've got my email if you have any questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ire3zME9q8E

Greg Lee swing pic 1.jpg

Greg Lee swing pic 2.jpg

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...
I m starting my gym workout to improve my physical for the game. Endurance, strength with control , flexibility, posture,Better Balance . I trying to fix my left arm to be straight at the top of my swing . Currently not so flexible ...
What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

Tucked butt, right elbow, right wrist. It was going better for a while, but it's gotten worse with little practice lately.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

• 3 weeks later...

Currently I am working on getting into better "golf shape" with weights and cardio.  Also working on my flexibility.  Since I haven't played much in the last 2 years and plan on playing alot more this year, I have been taking advntage of the offseason with lots of dry swinging in the house.  At least 100 swings a day with my 7 iron.

Mizuno MP-630,  Taylormade R7 15, Mizuno MP-60's, Mizuno MP T-11 wedges, Bettinardi BB-27

Originally Posted by par4me

Currently I am working on getting into better "golf shape" with weights and cardio.  Also working on my flexibility.  Since I haven't played much in the last 2 years and plan on playing alot more this year, I have been taking advntage of the offseason with lots of dry swinging in the house.  At least 100 swings a day with my 7 iron.

I have started my Gym lessons this month trying to shade off  some weight and at the same time improve my Strength , Flexibility and Endurance.

What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

I've been working on keeping my lower body quiet through my swing, and when I do it right, it seems to be one of the biggest factors for me to play well.  Imagining holding a basketball between my knees and not allowing them to wobble around has done wonders for my ball contact and sending the ball where I want it to go.  Just wanted to share what is working for me right now.

last few outings of the year, putting has been amazing, wedges & mid irons have been improving significantly & driving has even been consistent (haven't lost a single ball in my last few outings).       Overall, very happy with the progress I've made this my first year (logged 74 outings & the last few I've broken into the high 80's, low 90's).

However green side chipping couldn't have been worse .       Amazing how precise a ball strike this simple shot requires - it's such a slow swing, just the little tiniest bit fat & all momentum is lost and the ball goes nowhere.     In my limited experience, it's by far my most difficult shot from a consistency standpoint.     I need to just focus on hitting one wedge for nearly all chipping - going to stick with the 52 (I've been selecting one of the 4 wedges I carrry & think there's too much variety - tough to find consistency) .... I need to just learn to hit one wedge well around the greens - just gonna practice the hell out of it next year until it's automatic...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Working on consistency by using a nice relaxed back swing and concentrating on getting my hands to the ball first on the downswing.  Trying to get the sensation of dragging the leading edge of my left hand along the ground before impact.  Seems it is working hitting the ball into the net.  Hopefully I will get some range time in this week in the unusually mild weather coming up.

(1) Chipping with a number of different clubs, e.g. hybrid, 8 iron, etc.; practice about 2x/week about 50-100 shots; (2) focused on course concentration with EVERY shot, which does not mean taking a long time to play, but rather having a purpose/plan in every shot.

Shortening my backswing. - Trying to knock off about 15% of my torso rotation. Well, not so much "trying" as "practicing", it's not exactly difficult to just turn less. :-P Keep my weight farther back on my feet; aka, tucking my butt. - I've been starting too far on my toes and then almost falling forward on my toes during the swing. I need to keep my weight back. This usually happens when my butt isn't tucked back and I do some awkward slight stand-up motion during my swing as a result.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm taking a SS radar and a mat (I know, red flag right there), and bottoming out my iron swing consistently while trying to keep the MPH in the 85 range for my 5i and progressively more or less for the other clubs. I am aware I might not hit it the straightest without hitting balls, but I'm broke with no other means of practicing full swings. It's coming along nicely, and I can feel the shaft flexing a lot more. I feel that I was taking a lazy backswing previously, since I was recently working on my plane and slower swing motions. I need to hit the range to try things out, but the radar is giving me interesting feedback as to what makes my clubhead faster and what feels like it's making the clubhead faster.

(I admit when I first got the radar, I did try driver swings just to light it up. I was so happy for the positive feedback that I gave myself several blisters. I could get 95 easily, a balanced 108-110 from what I feel is my optimal swing, and 119 as my current best, though I have done it several times. I got carried away... But knowing what makes for a powerful swing has opened my eyes; surprisingly few adjustments were required, mainly applying force more consciously in a few places, and taking a quicker backswing. Not only has this made for a lot more lag, it feels like I'm loading up on my backswing instead of just getting in position. I see my backswing as being like a windup; you don't see a pitcher bring his hand back slowly and steadily then throw from a dead start; he loads his elbow and uses all his muscles to snap it forward. This has added about 15 mph with my irons, and I can keep it more consistently in the mid 80s without much effort. Knowing I'm at the high end of swing speed, and having a better idea of how to create power, means that I just have to work on consistency and straightness until I'm an old man... I have no excuse for driving less than 280 yards.)

Instead of doing everything from the top, in other words, I've simplified my swing and made it more efficient by starting from address with a fast tempo. Getting the club started from the top was harder to do, but I can redirect my momentum from the backswing and then make a faster turn without my hands getting stuck or forced off plane. I was taking a full turn, in fact I limited my turn a lot with irons since I'm very flexible, but I was almost pausing at the top and starting my swing without really loading any energy up.

This, and carpet putting with my new putter to keep my alignment, posture, and stroke established. I'm feeling a lot more confident in my game as a whole, hopefully I can hit it solidly and straight at the range... If not, I hope to miss left and long. At least, with a hook, I'll get to spend more time with my lefty playing partner in the left woods... I don't intend to stop improving in the long run once I can hit it long, I'm aiming to becoming scratch within a few years. The distance requisite for scoring well seems to be within reach, so I plan to convincingly break 90 at a real course this year. Getting eagles on the par 5s probably won't be the first place to pick up strokes for me, though it may be possible by year's end. The way I see it, swing speed is the first and easiest variable in my swing for me to iron out. Pun intended.

I also hope to find a good camera, I recorded my swing for the first time last week, and it looked pretty good. Except that it was about 5FPS due to my webcam being a lot less fast than I thought. One frame has me at the top of the backswing, the next is past impact... I'll upload it in a few weeks if I can, though.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Im working on getting the hands forward at impact, working from the inside and delaying the release. I was doing all these things great early last year, then I started working on other things and these things fell by the wayside. Working on some drills in the living room. Short swings, maintaining the shaft angle and making a good release. Once again, the key work for me is "Trap".

• 2 weeks later...

Hips FORWARD as hard and fast as I can to initiate the downswing. So far when I do this good things happen and generally when bad things happen I can trace it back to my weight transfer. That's my key right now, hope it last.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

The problem when it comes to chipping and putting for me is that it is really hard to find a place to practice.  When I play I will always hit the putting green for at least ten minutes before I tee off, but there really is nowhere to just go and put balls and chip.  One range has a green but it is carpet on top of concrete and they don't allow chipping.  I practice contact with chips into the net though, so hopefully that pays off.  I told my buddy that this season we should become early bird players so that we can take time to practice the short game without having to worry about holding people up.

• 1 month later...

I'm working on hitting the 15-20 ft lob shot since I find myself sometimes in this range when playing a round. Also trying to break myself of just dying the ball to the hole and instead visualizing sinking the putt. I've come up short, about 2 or 3 inches from the hole and then have to settle for a 2nd putt.

Posture. I have a roundness in my upper back that I've been conscious of straightening out. Yoga has helped a lot, and I also try and keep it straight at address. Getting into this position I am not quite so hunched over the ball as well. I feel like my turn back and through is a lot more functional and I can stay on a better plane. Here's a comparison from early this month, to last week. I know the camera angles are different, but still, the difference is quite noticeable...

posture compare 2-29-12.jpg

I still have a little ways to go in eliminating the rolled upper back, so, off the computer for now, and to a yoga routine with me...

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Note: This thread is 3218 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!