IGNORED

Translating the Range to the Course

Chilli Dipper
Note: This thread is 5509 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I had a very frustrating round on Thursday. I've realized that I post some high scores during the first few holes of a round, due to the fact that I'm still getting loose and searching for my swing at the start of the day. Because of this, I arrived at the course where I was playing well before my scheduled tee time to warm up on the practice range.

The problem was that when I arrived at the range, the only ball dispenser on site was empty, and I had to wait a good 20 minutes before it was finally refilled. By that time, there was less than 15 minutes before I teed off, so I grabbed my woods and my 4/6/8-irons and rushed through the bucket. And I'll be damned if every swing I took in my abbreviated practice session was solid.

Of course, as soon as I made it to the first tee, all that vanished, and those perfect shots I was hitting just minutes prior had turned into blocked shots to the left, which devolved into shanks, which somehow turned into pull-hooks. The entire front nine was a waste.

How is it that I could be hitting so well on the practice range without even really setting up for a shot, and be so garbage on the golf course?

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Not sure if you were on mats or turf, but I find that I do much better on the mats that the actual course. Forgiving on my somewhat fat hits and such. If you are on the mats, then go to the course, this is a big variable in my opinion.

Not sure if you were on mats or turf, but I find that I do much better on the mats that the actual course. Forgiving on my somewhat fat hits and such. If you are on the mats, then go to the course, this is a big variable in my opinion.

It was a grass range. As a rule, I generally avoid hitting on mats.

Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

How is it that I could be hitting so well on the practice range without even really setting up for a shot, and be so garbage on the golf course?

By no means are you alone on this one!!!!! Like you know, like we all know, golf is 60% mental and the rest is in your head (haha). When you think of how you have to do something (hitting on the course) your naturally prone for a mess up instead of when you just do something without thinking (range game). This is why we practice = so that we get to the point where the practiced part of the game feels so natural and right we need not think of how to execute it. I hate to sound cliche but the best thing you can do is practice it. Try to practice like you play and play as you practice! I hope this helps.

2004 State Drive, Chip and Putt Champion
2005 Northern Iowa Player Of The Year
2006 Iowa Girl's Golf 2A Individual State Champion
2007 Iowa Co-Ed Golf State Champion
2007 State Drive, Chip and Putt Champion2008 Iowa Girl's Golf 2A Individual State Champion2009 College Division Iowa Junior Tour...

The longest walk in golf is from the range to the first tee. Many hit better on the range because there is no preconceived notion on how well a shot should be hit. There really is no target. If you hit a bad shot, you can just drag another ball and try again. I have worked very hard to take that mental attitude to the course. There is no right or wrong, no good or bad. There is just hitting a little white ball. You can't beat the game.. you just play it. The solution really is to pretend the course is a range. Step on the first tee, and hit the ball with the same attitude you had on the range. So what if you hit it bad. You will get another chance in a few minutes to hit another one.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

"Golf is a walk in the park. The worst thing that can happen is that I lose a golf ball."

- Moe Norman

Golf is a game in which the ball always lies poorly and the player always lies well.

I dont really have a connection between the two at all. Ive warmed up like crap on the range and dropped some of my best rounds right after that. The time i spend on the practice green is a better indicator of how im going to score that day. If i dont chip and putt well to save my pars, i struggle breaking 80 alot of the time.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

For me, I think the following thought is what kills the warmup's help: "I just warmed up, so now I'm going to hit a really fantastic first drive." It sets up pressure to make the first drive a good one, rather than just hitting it. What I'm trying to do (in theory, haven't had time to put it to practice lately) is just get into the routine of going to the range to warm up, and then going to the tee, and not thinking about any connection. I think there will be one, but I'm not going to realize it until I stop worrying about it.

Not that different from anything else in golf. It seems my best shots come when I'm just swinging and my worst come when I'm trying really hard to hit a good one...

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Now I don't know what to think. I went out to the course at a moment's notice for a round this afternoon and played the first three holes bogey-birdie-bogey with no warm-up at all.

N=1 statistics!

Golf is random enough you'll have a good round in adverse circumstances on occasion. Keep a note of this somewhere. Also keep notes of how many bad rounds you have under the same circumstances, and how many good and bad rounds you have with a warm-up. After a few dozen rounds, look at the numbers and make your stats.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Sometimes trying to "play" your first few holes on the range. Shoot at targets and try to avoid hitting the small club over and over. Mix them up just are you going to on the course. Good luck and if you ever figure it out - let the rest of us know!

ive noticed this when i play... its one of the reasons i dont really hit warm up balls at the range before a round... i think the most ill do is hit the putting surface just to see how the greens are playing that day...
i reserve the range for sheer practice...
if i get to the course too early and end up hitting balls on the range i think it adds to my fatigue factor...
if you wanna be superstitious you can say youve used up your good shots on the range and all you have left on the course is the bad ones...
i think its pretty much mental... the range is for judging your tendency before a round... and the actual round is the one youre counting your strokes so every shot counts... the mentality is just different... you dont care if you screw around on the range so youre looser... you really care on the course so youre more tentative
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

Note: This thread is 5509 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!