Jump to content
IGNORED

How far do you hit your clubs?


Note: This thread is 2877 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

Driver 210, rarely straight

3 wood 200 straight as an arro

5 wood 185

4 iron 110

5 iron 185

6 iron 170

7 iron 165

8 iron 150

9 iron 140

PW 130-100

GW 100

Sandy70

60 50

Putter 1 yard

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Driver - So far that you wouldn't want your wife to see me hit it. 3+ Wood - You'd get tired and have to sit down while walking to my ball. 1 Iron - Wooden tees catch fire like match heads eve

^^^ My brother from another mother!

We should totally play sometime! I can only hit driver on holes that run north-south, anything east-west is a no go. Just too risky, don't wanna **** up the earth's rotation.

Hahaha!  This thread is funny.  Asking golfers on a golf forum to publicly post how long they hit the ball.  You're more likely to get truthful answers if you ask all the men how long their ***** are.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hahaha!  This thread is funny.  Asking golfers on a golf forum to publicly post how long they hit the ball.  You're more likely to get truthful answers if you ask all the men how long their ***** are.

Exactly !! Some of the numbers here are seriously inflated....you've got guys who can drive 300 yards and yet hit a PW 110 ??? I'm certain if you have enough club head speed to throw the driver 300, you would be able to do 130/140 at worst with your PW.... I am a 17 handicapper, and my drives is around 220/230...200 carry approx. and I hit my PW around 110.... Cheers Ray

Link to post
Share on other sites

These are averages.  Obviously, there are times when you really get everything in sync and pure a shot that is vastly different than the average (i.e. - I hit a 267 and a 259 yard drive w/roll out last week).  But, those instances are few and far between.

Driver - 220 yards carry

3W - 200 yards carry

5W -  190 yards carry

3H - 185 yards

4H - 170 yards

5i -  160 yards

6i - 150 yards

7i - 140 yards

8i - 125 yards

9i - 110 yards

PW - 95 yards

SW - 75 yards

Haven't been playing for long and have only recorded 6 full rounds.  Definitely would like more distance but would much rather be accurate.  Unfortunately, with the longer clubs neither distance nor accuracy are a given at the moment.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by crayputter

Exactly !!

Some of the numbers here are seriously inflated....you've got guys who can drive 300 yards and yet hit a PW 110 ??? I'm certain if you have enough club head speed to throw the driver 300, you would be able to do 130/140 at worst with your PW....

I am a 17 handicapper, and my drives is around 220/230...200 carry approx. and I hit my PW around 110....

Cheers

Ray

Unless they flip the club.  Players with that type of disparity between driver and wedge aren't all that uncommon.  Lots of them use low lofted drivers thinking they hit the ball really hard and that is the reason for the height of their shots.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by voidofenigmas

I dunno about everyone else but I answered honestly, i've spent a lot of time figuring out my exact distances.

A lot of guys post some very low numbers. I've never met a single digit player who couldn't drive the ball past 280 when they want to, but apparently it's quite common in some parts of the world.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by voidofenigmas

I dunno about everyone else but I answered honestly, i've spent a lot of time figuring out my exact distances.

I also am being honest.  I don't own a rangefinder or haven't used any swing monitor or anything to get technical, but I know how far I hit it.  One caveat:  My wood distances, especially driver, are total, not carry.  I have no idea what my driver carry distance is.  Also, these aren't technically "averages" either, but the club I use for a shot that distance.

1W:  275

3W:  240

Hyb: 220

3I:    210

4I:    200

5I:    190

6I:    175

7I:    165

8I:    155

9I:    140

PW: 125

SW:  105

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Im not sure if anyone else is having this issue but when it comes to my irons it seems like 9-5 are all within 10 yards of one another. the 4 and 3 I cant even hit at all. I hit my driver 220-250 pretty consistantly and about 200ish with my 3 wood. But Im lost as to why it seems all my irons are pretty much the same for me. I struggle mightily with them to begin with and I dread the intermediate shots when I can use a wood or a wedge. Anyone have any ideas?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Coleoneps

Im not sure if anyone else is having this issue but when it comes to my irons it seems like 9-5 are all within 10 yards of one another. the 4 and 3 I cant even hit at all. I hit my driver 220-250 pretty consistantly and about 200ish with my 3 wood. But Im lost as to why it seems all my irons are pretty much the same for me. I struggle mightily with them to begin with and I dread the intermediate shots when I can use a wood or a wedge. Anyone have any ideas?


primarily people that struggle with their long irons are people with non-perfect balance. A tip i've suggested quite a few times, try to take 3/4 swings on the practice range with your back foot on its toe. It promotes balance and when you can hit 3/4 shots and hit the sweet spot everytime move up to a full swing with your foot planted. Good luck let me know if this helps.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of guys post some very low numbers. I've never met a single digit player who couldn't drive the ball past 280 when they want to, but apparently it's quite common in some parts of the world.

The only way I get anywhere near 280 on a drive is if I catch a sprinkler head or a cart path!! :-(

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by voidofenigmas

primarily people that struggle with their long irons are people with non-perfect balance. A tip i've suggested quite a few times, try to take 3/4 swings on the practice range with your back foot on its toe. It promotes balance and when you can hit 3/4 shots and hit the sweet spot everytime move up to a full swing with your foot planted. Good luck let me know if this helps.

I will try that . Thank you!

Link to post
Share on other sites

These distances are relatively accurate I have no idea what the proper distance to post is carry or roll so all these clubs are carry. All shots are with easy but strong swings going about 80-90 percent.

Driver:265-280

3W: OB

5W: 220-240

4i:205-210

5i:190-200

6i:175-185

7i:165-175

8i:150-160

9:140-150

PW:130-135

W:120-125

SW:100-110

LW: 40-75

Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of these numbers seem inflated because many people just do not know how to measure the distance of their drives. Simulators can be very inaccurate and overly inflated and using yardage markers isn't always the best. Also when people post their average distances it is usually under the assumption that the ball is struck well. My actual aver with a driver, including all of my shanks and poor shots would probably be 230-240 if you factor only the decent shots it would be 260-280. I suppose the better question is "what is your expected distances". Anyway as for distances I feel like my irons are rather long but woods are not nearly as long as they should be given my club head speed. I went to my local golf shop on Tuesday to try out some woods and hybrids and how found that my club head speed on the 4 hybrid was within 2-4mph of my driver club head speed which is odd. Anyway that's my prerogative.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Petden

A lot of these numbers seem inflated because many people just do not know how to measure the distance of their drives. Simulators can be very inaccurate and overly inflated and using yardage markers isn't always the best. Also when people post their average distances it is usually under the assumption that the ball is struck well. My actual aver with a driver, including all of my shanks and poor shots would probably be 230-240 if you factor only the decent shots it would be 260-280. I suppose the better question is "what is your expected distances".

When deciding what club you use based on distances it doesn't make any sense to factor in shanks or shots that go nowhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know I made fun of all the guys who hits their clubs distances only gods and pros can relate to, But perhaps the question should have been , how far do you hit your clubs and where do you live. I live on the coast in BC where the ball doesn't travel as far, but I have played in the desert and in higher elevations and the ball seems to go on forever. I remember hitting a 7 wood 230 where I normally hit it 185, all I said that day was oh my god!!!! But if someone told me they hit their...whatever and they lived in an area that is like the one I live in, well?
Link to post
Share on other sites

MAX Distance:

-2Iron=280yds

-3Iron=270

-Driver (10 degree)= 400yds & 350yds but this is something I haven't been able to observe due to the back of most ranges being around 300yds; but I have taken the ball over a tree-line and out-of-sight at a range where the trees were 100ft tall and this tree-line started about 300yds out.

-SW=  I can hit the ball up to 150yds out, but,  however, typically I take a full-stroke from about 125yds (or so) to a green.

-6Iron cut shot= I've been fading (or cutting) the ball with this club to flags positioned at about 200yds out.

----

J

Link to post
Share on other sites

Note: This thread is 2877 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • How many women have been timed over 1500m in a pool? Not THAT many. Why wouldn't she dominate the times in this event - given that she is so impressively dominant? How many people have played golf competitively? I'll bet 99.9% of people you see on the street couldn't tell you who Oksana Chusovitina is. As for women's swimming, Shane Gould is the only person, male or female, to hold EVERY world freestyle record from 100m to 1500m  + 200m IM SIMULTANEOUSLY. (1972)
    • My goodness, you aren't kidding. For those who don't see the article for whatever reason:  there's a list of the top 25 fastest times ever recorded in the women's 1,500 meter freestyle swim.  Katie Ledecky owns spots 1-13, and also spots 15, 17, 18, 22, and 25.   The closest thing to that I can think of offhand is in threes.  Tiger Woods owns the top three season-long strokes gained: approach ever recorded (granted, these have only been recorded in, I believe, the Shotlink era), and at one point (up until a few years ago), Kurt Warner threw the most yards ever in a Super Bowl, but was also in second and third place on that list. 
    • Day 155.  Quarantine practice plan, day 11.  I really like this drill and I plan to incorporate it into my practices on a regular basis.  I took video but it's still on my phone, I will likely put it in the relevant thread tomorrow afternoon. 
    • Day 28: Long day at work, so not much time left for golf practice today. Managed some work on downswing priority piece, hit 10 balls, 7-iron, lots of rehearsals between shots. 
    • Day 65, July 29, 2021: More three-quarters swing work.
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. amgolfer
      amgolfer
      (37 years old)
    2. At least 7 handi-andy
      At least 7 handi-andy
      (30 years old)
    3. MSDOGS1976
      MSDOGS1976
      (67 years old)
    4. Rob Lane
      Rob Lane
      (62 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...