IGNORED

How far do you hit your clubs?

Note: This thread is 3888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by ddalet

You have no idea what you are saying.

I am not talking about specific gains in ball speed because of perimeter weighting.  However:

The proportion of ball speed averaged out across the face will be higher vs a blade NO MATTER WHAT (notice the word average).  It is physics, what I do.  Should you want to learn about it, I suggest a book I read years ago just for fun. "THE PHYSICS OF GOLF".

These may be your forums, but you don't automatically have to act like an authority even on the things you're not sure about.  All you gain is misinformation on your own site.

Not a good idea to argue with Iaacas.  When he wants to be right, he will tell you he is right, and he will put you in the penalty box if you don't agree with him.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Originally Posted by GreenFlag

7i - Dallas, TX 150 yds. (where I live)

7i - Houston, TX 140 yds.

7i - California, NM, Colorado 160 yds.

Originally Posted by logman

... Say from 130 meters  ...

These excerpts from these two posts just reminded me how much we all take for granted on this thread.  So many of us just say "8 iron - 165" or something along those lines.  Even when discounting our "big fish stories" embellishments, the numbers are pretty useless for comparison when some of us are playing in Houston, others in Denver, and all of you guys over in metric land are hitting your 8 irons "only" 150 [meters] while I am cranking mine out there 160 [yards].

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not a good idea to argue with Iaacas.  When he wants to be right, he will tell you he is right, and he will put you in the penalty box if you don't agree with him.

Would you care to cite a single example of when this has happened? I don't think there's been a case where a temporary banning has been the result of a disagreement.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Shorty

Would you care to cite a single example of when this has happened?

I don't think there's been a case where a temporary banning has been the result of a disagreement.

What's going on ... it seems like for the last few weeks all I ever do is agree with Shorty.  I'm worried.

Originally Posted by MrSandman

Son, I think you done smoked yourself retarded.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shorty

Would you care to cite a single example of when this has happened?

I don't think there's been a case where a temporary banning has been the result of a disagreement.

What's going on ... it seems like for the last few weeks all I ever do is agree with Shorty.  I'm worried.

You're basically the same person now,

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

years ago there was a discussion on the proper way to putt.  Whether you do the swinging gate or the straight back and through method.  I remember Iaacas went nuts on anybody who said they preferred the straight back and through method.  Real eye opener as to what type of person he is.  Very insecure and controlling.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

years ago there was a discussion on the proper way to putt.  Whether you do the swinging gate or the straight back and through method.  I remember Iaacas went nuts on anybody who said they preferred the straight back and through method.  Real eye opener as to what type of person he is.  Very insecure and controlling.

Look man.  You have about 550 posts and not a whole lot of skins to show for it...at least that I can see.  Perhaps it's not just Erik that doesn't put a lot of value into what you're posting.  If you catch my drift...

I don't have [i]exact[/i] yardages for my clubs, but from GPS readings and Google Maps confirmed driving range distance markers I have a pretty good idea. LW - 50 GW - 85 PW - 111 9i - 122 8i - 133 7i -144 6i - 155 5i - 166 4h - 180 3h - 190 3w - 215 Driver - 240 Misc thoughts: My rule of thumb is that I have 11 yards between clubs. It's not terribly scientific, but when I did some research on Trackman that's what the pros seemed to have, and I think it produces iron distances that seem right on for me. As a bonus, it makes memorizing the distances really easy (111, 122, 133, etc). When I want to choose a club, these are the distances I start with before accounting for lie, wind, how well I'm hitting that day, etc. That's about how far I [i]do[/i] hit. I can hit farther, and I could add about 10 yards across all my irons if I wanted to. At the range occasionally I'll average a longer distance, but we all know that a groove on a good day at the range is not the same as pulling a club for the second time on the course. Trying to hit farther, though, my accuracy suffers, so I don't have much reason to try for farther. I can hit my LW farther, but I don't see a point in doing so as it's too much room for error for me to try. Anything from outside 50 yards is for the GW at that point. And I pretty much never pull my SW for full shots. I use GPS a few times per round to check my driving distance. I use it to spot-check distances some average drives and to check longer drives. The boring ones tend to be in the 230s, but the long ones will be out at roughly 250 - 260; I'll have one or two long ones per round if I'm playing decently. We have three holes here with a hazard at about 260 yards from the tees I play. I got to a point last year where I would consistently dump a drive into the water on at least one of those three holes, so I know that 260 yards is reasonably achievable on a good drive and I use a shorter swing or lower club on those holes. My hybrids really vary based on whether they're teed up or not. When I have them teed up I sometimes hit them much farther. I put my 4h out to 200 on lay-up holes on occasion, but I wouldn't expect that off the deck. My 3w can also really vary. I can hit it 230 or 190. If I had to layup in front of a hazard at 230 I wouldn't use it. If I needed 180 of carry, I wouldn't club down from it.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

Look man.  You have about 550 posts and not a whole lot of skins to show for it...at least that I can see.  Perhaps it's not just Erik that doesn't put a lot of value into what you're posting.  If you catch my drift...

I dont really care for egos...

and if my post is deleted for stating fact so be it.

BUT,  no matter what, the average proportion of clubhead speed converted to ball speed across the face of a perimeter weighted CB iron vs a traditional blade iron will be higher.  That is why the golfing public can benefit from game improvement clubs... they will be more efficient for their swings.

I dont really care for egos...

and if my post is deleted for stating fact so be it.

BUT,  no matter what, the average proportion of clubhead speed converted to ball speed across the face of a perimeter weighted CB iron vs a traditional blade iron will be higher.  That is why the golfing public can benefit from game improvement clubs... they will be more efficient for their swings.

Not sure why you are replying to me.

Well struck shots (not chunked, thinned, shanked or heeled) are as follows:

Driver - 260 yards

3w - 230/240 yards (off the deck/off a tee)

3i - 195 yards

4i - 185 yards

5i - 175 yards

6i - 165 yards

7i - 155 yards

8i - 145 yards

9i - 135 yards

PW - 120 yards

50° - 100 yards

56° - 80 yards

These distances have gone up recently as I have been working on swing changes.  My 9i used to be around 120 yards.  When I get flippy, the yardages drop back down, but I am working furiously to banish the sissy boy slap party from my swing forever.

Of course, if you are looking for true 'averages', the numbers would probably be all over the board.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

I played for 2 years then took 3 off for various reasons. Started playing again this spring. Never considered that I was nearly as long as the average golfer, but after playing with other people this year I don't feel bad about my distances. Now if I could just hit it somewhat straight!

Dr: 240-260

3W: 220-230

5W: 200-210

3h: 190-200

4i: 180ish

5i: 170ish

6i: 160

7i: 150

8i: 140

9i: 130

PW: 120

SW: 100

LW: 85

Most of my clubs I am within a ten yard range for, depending how im striking the ball that day. The pitching wedge is more of a 20 yard range. I hit it pretty consistently, so I can power it from 130 - 150 if I need to.

Driver - 265 -270ish
15 hybrid - 240ish

17 hybrid - 230ish

19 hybrid - 220ish

4 iron - 190-200
5 iron - 180-190
6 iron - 170-180
7 iron - 160-170
8 iron - 150-160
9 iron - 140-150
PW - 130-140
AW - 120ish

60 - I only really use this for like 40-60 yard shots

(This distances are from my Golfshot GPS app, I log the shots when I hit the ball straight, which is not nearly as consistent as I want it to be right now [about 75%])

• Administrator

Driver: 270+

3W: 245

2H: 225

3I: 210

4I: 200

5I: 190

6I: 180

7I: 168

8I: 155

9I: 143

PW: 130

54: 113

60: 80?

Quote:

You have no idea what you are saying.

I am not talking about specific gains in ball speed because of perimeter weighting.  However:

I never said they won't be faster across the face or slightly more consistent across the face. I am talking about the claims of 5-10 MPH. And the OP (back in 2009) didn't say on mis-hits or across the face, he said "springy faced irons give you 5-10 MPH more ball speed," basically.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddalet

The proportion of ball speed averaged out across the face will be higher vs a blade NO MATTER WHAT (notice the word average).  It is physics, what I do.  Should you want to learn about it, I suggest a book I read years ago just for fun. "THE PHYSICS OF GOLF".

Read it. Several times.

Quote:

years ago there was a discussion on the proper way to putt.  Whether you do the swinging gate or the straight back and through method.  I remember Iaacas went nuts on anybody who said they preferred the straight back and through method.

Uh huh. Boy you got me pegged. Errrrr, not.

FWIW: http://thesandtrap.com/t/11577/z-factor-best-training-aid-ever/ and http://thesandtrap.com/t/3028/your-putting-style-utley-or-pelz/ . And the one guy who thought he was SBST in the second thread later realizes he's not. But hey, that's okay. You have a few reasons why your memory may not be quite what it should be... ;-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

Not sure why you are replying to me.

I'm not sure why either.

Whatevs.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

These are stock distances. If I want +/- 25 yards with any iron, it's there for me: Driver- 250 4w - 225 7w - 210 9w - 190 5 - 175 6 - 160 7 - 145 8 - 135 9 - 125 PW - 115 GW - 100 SW - 80 LW - 60 I rounded. When I think 'Perfect 8i' on a flat lie, no wind and no elevation change, it would be 138, for example. Some of the guys here seem exceptionally long (or maybe I'm exceptionally short). At any rate, my secondary goals to getting the ball in the hole are to GIR it to death and to stay out of trouble. When I start macho'ing the ball around and hitting 9i's 150+, both of those goals are attained to a lesser degree. I should also add that my distances are subject to change in any given round. A good range warm up usually tells me what I brought to the course that day.

In The Bag: - Patience - Persistence - Perseverance - Platitudes

D: 260-280

3w: 230-215

5w:200-215

4i: 185-195

5i: 170-185

6i: 160-170

7i: 150-160

8i: 140-150

9i: 130-140

PW: 120-130

AW: 105-115

SW: 95-105

GW: 0-90

Putter: 1

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

Note: This thread is 3888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!