IGNORED

Ball Position on Uphill and Downhill Lies

Note: This thread is 1373 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

21 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do with your ball position on downhill and uphill lies?

• Nothing - I keep it in the same place as a flat lie.
    • Downhill the ball is forward. Uphill the ball is back.
    • Downhill the ball is back. Uphill the ball is forward.

I try to orient my spine to the hill like I would on a flat lie (approx. perpendicular), and I may change the loft of the club depending on it being uphill or downhill. Downhill always feels trickier.

Normally I play the ball back on a downhill lie and open the face and my stance a little bit to help get the ball a little higher (and the opposite for uphill lies)...though if its a not so severe slope, I try to keep everything as if it were a flat lie and adjust my spine and shoulders.

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

I do have more success/confidence with the ball above feet then below FWIW.

Nice comments, especially the above quote. When the ball is above your feet, it's like playing with a shorter club. Most people have more confidence with their shorter irons than their longer irons. Consequently, with the ball below your feet, it feels like you're playing with a longer iron...

Ball above the feet is easier than ball below your feet. Uphill lie is easier than a downhill lie (regardless, the key is to match your shoulder to the slope)! Can you have a compound lie - both downhill and with ball below your feet?

HiBore 10.5 driver
GT-500 3- and 5-woods
Bazooka JMax 4 Iron Wood
Big Bertha 2008 irons (4 and 5 i-brids, 6i-9i,PW)
Tom Watson 56 SW Two-Ball putter

Can you have a compound lie - both downhill and with ball below your feet?

Too often

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

I tend to play the ball forward and parallel my shoulders with the slope on downhill lies to try and get the ball up higher in the air. When I play it back I tend to hit it heavy due to the shortened distance from the top of my swing to the ball compared to a flat lie. On an uphill lie, it depends on the wind. If it is helping, I play it up in the stance to so as to get the ball as high as possible so the wind has a chance to push it further. If the wind is in my face, i take an extra club or two and play it back of my stance like a knock down and try to keep it under the wind. Another trick is to take an extra club and hit a high fade if you can control it if there is relatively no wind.

*Former High School Golfer*
*Playing at Cabrillo College starting Fall 2009*
* Taylormade R7 460 10.5 degree with ProForce V2 stiff shaft cut to 42"*
* Taylormade R7 TP 15 degree 5 wood
* Taylormade R7 TP 18 degree hybrid** Titleist AP2 3-PW w/ Project X 6.0** Titleist Vokey Design 52.10...

• 6 years later...
  • Administrator

This thread is worth reviving. I still see a lot of players do this "backward."

The correct (IMO) way:

• Ball forward when it's on a downhill lie.
  • Ball back when it's on an uphill lie.

Why?

Consider where your lead shoulder is. Lead shoulder helps to control low point. Consider too whether it's easier to get forward on an upslope or a downslope. Then, consider what the slope will do to the natural loft of the iron, and whether you want to exaggerate it or sort of negate the change.

• Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, iacas said:

This thread is worth reviving. I still see a lot of players do this "backward."

The correct (IMO) way:

• Ball forward when it's on a downhill lie.
  • Ball back when it's on an uphill lie.

Why?

Consider where your lead shoulder is. Lead shoulder helps to control low point. Consider too whether it's easier to get forward on an upslope or a downslope. Then, consider what the slope will do to the natural loft of the iron, and whether you want to exaggerate it or sort of negate the change.

Do you have a guide as to how much to move the ball or a means to estimate? I've been following your advice on this since I asked in another thread a year or two back. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I don't change ball position. Just change club length (choke -above or bent knees-below) or change body lean to  accommodate hillside

• Administrator
5 hours ago, uitar9 said:

I don't change ball position. Just change club length (choke -above or bent knees-below) or change body lean to  accommodate hillside

We aren't talking about sideslopes.

On May 19, 2016 at 9:04 PM, boogielicious said:

Do you have a guide as to how much to move the ball or a means to estimate? I've been following your advice on this since I asked in another thread a year or two back. 

Just a little. The more severe the downslope or upslope, the more you move it, but never really outside your feet.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

When I keep the ball forward in my stance I feel confident I can shallow out the approach of the club 

When I position the ball back I feel like I need to steepen the club path in order to hit the ball flush 

• 4 years later...

Is this correct as rules of thumb?

Uphill.  Ball more forward in stance.  Weight on back leg.   Add one club length.  Aim right (ball goes left)

Downhill.  Ball more rear in stance.  Weight on front leg.  Remove one club length.  Aim left (ball goes right)

Above feet.   Choke up.   More club.  Aim right.

Below feet.   Choke up.   Less club.  Aim left.

Not sure if I follow any rules of thumb but when the lie is uphill, I keep more weight in the front (uphill leg), same club length and aim at target. 

Edited by FlyingAce

1 hour ago, Used2PlayALot said:

Below feet.   Choke up.   Less club.  Aim left

This is the one I don't follow. No choke, same club, more knee bend to get hands where they normally be in relation to ball. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

@OP, for the above feet and below feet, what I wish I had done when I was first starting to try to conquer those is to simply practice each of them a mere 20 times. That should be plenty to figure out what you have to do.

You will start out topping those below your feet and duffing those above until you get it just right.  And yeah, the aim is different.

• iacas changed the title to Uneven Lies Summary (Uphill, Downhill, Above Feet, Below Feet)
  • Administrator
3 hours ago, Used2PlayALot said:

Is this correct as rules of thumb?

No. You've got most of them backward.

When you're on an upslope, your lead shoulder is farther back and the loft will be increased, so the ball goes back in your stance a bit.

For example.

Note: This thread is 1373 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!