IGNORED

Why Aren’t More People Copying Moe Norman's Swing?

Msokol13
Note: This thread is 1039 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

The forearms still roll, though. Maybe not initially, but at the top of the backswing, they're rolled.

Moe's swing doesn't roll?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
53 minutes ago, TRUCKER said:

Moe's swing doesn't roll?

Yes it does.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 hours ago, DavidM said:

The Moe Norman swing is deceptively simple. There are many subtleties that you can not pick up on in just watching old videos. Ball position, club at address, grip, shoulders, proper weight shift... on and on. The main reason that this swing is not used more is because there is only one guy teaching it. It does become very consistent once you "get it". But so is any swing. The day someone wins a major tournament using the single plane swing - that is when everyone starts promoting it on their platform as "the greatest thing ever" - since Moe Norman. I will say that anyone that has back or mobility issues should look into it because it is very easy on the back and joints. You are not cranking your back in your backswing rotation - in fact if you go too far back it throws off the timing completely. 

Meh. The posture can be bothersome for some. It still requires rotating around your spine. There simply isn’t any golf swing that’s gonna be functional that won’t cause problems for someone. It’s an athletic movement any way you look at it.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 1/29/2020 at 9:25 AM, iacas said:

Care to elaborate?

I take it back. I don't know anyone teaching that swing. He looks like he's dancing, he moves so much. His head rises up, he sways back and forward, and reaches for the ball at setup. I don't know how he gets back to the ball...🤷‍♂️

🤔...Are his teeth rotten?😀

Didn’t he stop competitive golf due to back problems? I watched him on the range in Milwaukee years ago. At that time I even thought he would wind up injured. He sure could shape a ball though.

15 hours ago, TRUCKER said:

🤔...Are his teeth rotten?😀

Yep, he used to drink bottles and bottles ok Coca-Cola every day.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

• 1 month later...
On 9/17/2009 at 6:20 AM, Where's the Cart Girl? said:

That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. If you could hit the ball straight every single time, even if you couldn't get more than 220 off the tee (I have no idea how far Moe hit it), you can be a pretty damn good golfer. Perhaps you'll never be great, and you still need a good short game, but that's true no matter how much you can shape the ball. Shaping the ball is an advantage, but it is absolutely not a necessity to play good golf.

I think more people don't copy him because he doesn't have nearly the level of visibility that other prolific golfers yesterday and today have. Especially to people just picking up the game. They've heard of Hogan, Nicklaus, Palmer, Woods, Els.. etc. But if you said Moe Norman they wouldn't have a clue. He was an anomaly and still is. I think alot of people could benefit from following his school of swing thought, but I don't think it'll ever happen. But it's like anything else in this game, if you commit to it, you can make it work.

I agree.  Does this guy play golf? Yeah, I might not be club champ but I'll never lose in match play.  However, Mo Norman shows how he can use his technique to slightly fade and draw.

• 1 year later...

One of the biggest things I have struggled with in trying to play good golf is the consistency of set up. I am talking about the details of ball position, grip, and how you position the "triangle" of your two arms and the club. 

It's always confused me. It seems that I'm always drifting in these fundamentals, as much as I try to be consistent with them, and eventually when I'm hitting the ball poorly, someone will point out something really off about my set up, and I have to go back to the drawing board and fix everything. It would be great if this didn't happen )

One thing I would like to try about Moe's swing is his set up positions. The way he soles the club well behind the ball is fairly unique.

When I study his address positions, I wonder if they would be easier to repeat consistently than other methods I've tried. It's as if what he calls "the rod" (his left arm and club) are positioned exactly the same on every shot at the start of the swing. So when you look down at address, your arms, club, and left foot should always look the same and have the same relationship to one another. The two things that vary are the position of the ball and the position of the right foot. 

For anyone who has tried the Moe Norman swing, how long did it take to adjust to the new address position? Did you find it easier or harder than a conventional address position? 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

• 5 months later...
On 6/21/2014 at 11:18 AM, turtleback said:

Remind me again.  How many majors did he win?

Moe Norman never had the support needed to win majors because his Autism, his looks and speech were made fun on tour in the US. He hated putting and he could not stand slow play on tour that's why! His swing is better for all persons that want to preserve their back, ask any spine doctor that damage the modern golf swing does to your back knees and wrists. And for older golfers it is the best swing to learn out there I know first hand. Greg

• Administrator

Moe's swing when he was on Tour was nothing like the swing for which he's known. It looked awfully traditional when Moe was playing in some limited Tour events.

What everyone knows as the Moe Norman swing was not the swing with which he had success against other pros at the time.

23 minutes ago, GregoryA said:

His swing is better for all persons that want to preserve their back, ask any spine doctor that damage the modern golf swing does to your back knees and wrists.

The golf swing is a violent motion that puts wear and tear on your body. You're putting wear and tear on your body when you play golf regardless of the motion you make.

And there's nothing in the "Moe Norman" or "Natural Golf" swing that limits wear and tear to your wrists. Because Moe's swing when he was older it involved very little turn, so one could argue his wrists had to do more during the swing.

Moe's limited shoulder-turn motion, the one he made later in his life, was a limited distance swing so it more than likely limits how well you can play golf. If you're good with that, great.

Playing some golf is better than not being able to play at all.

But let's not pretend that:

• Moe's older swing should be adopted for everyone, as some sort of secret swing.
  • Moe's older swing will prevent injury and is a "healthy" way to swing.

P.S. The comment to which you responded is from 2014. 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1039 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!