IGNORED

The Biggest Secret? Slide Your Hips

iacas

Apologies, I thought you were recommending it as a standard set up position.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
i am having a hell of a time trying to get rid of my hip slide and get them to turn correctly.

I'm fairly certain we've asked to see a good video of your swing and you've yet to show it to us. I doubt very much that you slide your hips properly or forward enough, so if you've posted a video or if you can post a video, we'd love to take a look. Start a "My Swing (westcyderydin)" thread and post it. Or let me know where you've posted one before if I've missed it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm fairly certain we've asked to see a good video of your swing and you've yet to show it to us. I doubt very much that you slide your hips properly or forward enough, so if you've posted a video or if you can post a video, we'd love to take a look. Start a "My Swing (westcyderydin)" thread and post it. Or let me know where you've posted one before if I've missed it.

maybe sometime soon. i dont have a video camera and i would have to do some work to figure out how to load it on my computer. i'll have to borrow one from somebody and get some help on that.

this thread is just interesting tho cuz its the exact opposite of what im working on. i slide my hips forward improperly and a lot. but i have a pro i just started working with and he is working with me to get my hips to turn. and its not easy since ive been doing it this way for so many years. its just such a different feeling trying to change it.

This is a great thread. I focused on hip slide tonight at the range and hit the ball better than I have all spring. I hope it translates to the course this weekend. When the hips slide aggressively enough forward, it feels like the arms fall right into place. Also, when I look at the videos that have been posted of a good hip slide, the front hip moves forward the full width of the thigh of the front leg from the address position. That's a pretty big move forward.

A lateral hip slide is simply the rear hip rotating behind you to the target in the back swing IF you completely wind up.

Bolded, underlined, and in red is the only way I have heard hip-movement discussed that got me to a post position on a straight left leg through impact.

Thanks tm22721

• Administrator
Bolded, underlined, and in red is the only way I have heard hip-movement discussed that got me to a post position on a straight left leg through impact.

It's also wrong. There's no illusion - the best players actually push their hips forward - many quite a bit (and those that draw the ball tend to go forward the most).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Could someone that belive the "camera illusion" please explain how the camera can pick up such a movement if it does not exist?

You can't throw ideas like that into the air without an explanation.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Could someone that belive the "camera illusion" please explain how the camera can pick up such a movement if it does not exist?

That's why they call it an illusion. LOL

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Surely the lead hip is going to be doing both , with the relative proportion of slide to rotation largely determined by the length of the club. Here, for example, is an (ahem) ideal view of Mike Bennett hitting a wedge (I would guess). Yes the point of the hip has moved forward a little, but it has come up and back more.

With a driver, though. there's a lot more slide to go with that turn.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

I think the guy you quoted spelled "delusion" wrong.

The hips are wider (left to right) than they are deep (back to front), so when you rotate back the hips will appear to move back unless you prevent that by keeping the hips forward. Then when you swing down the hips do rotate similar to where they were at address, so from a face on view some of the forward movement can be attributed to counter-rotation, but the at impact and beyond the hips should be in front of where they were at impact. If you want proof, look no further than Tiger Woods (or literally any other PGA TOUR player). If you look at a video of Tiger, the place where his left hip was at address is about where his belt buckle is at impact.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Surely the lead hip is going to be doing

This is what I see in the ‘behind view’ video. Putting your mouse pointer on the tailbone (try no to over do it

) – at transition that tailbone does not move forward. If the hips were sliding it would. Because the hips are turning back towards the target, from a turned position, there is some ‘arc’ of forward to make that turn. I think the ‘slide-illusion’ referred to in an earlier post is a front-view-phenomena. Without the tailbone anchor reference the rotation appears to be a slide as visually things are moving from right to left (for righties). But if that tailbone is not going towards the target – you are not sliding. How bout them apples!

You are looking at a point of the most posterior section of a sagittal plane which gives you this "illusion" that the tailbone is not moving forwards. Where as the point where both the sagittal and coronal plane intersect would show the center of the hips moving towards the target.

Mike also works on getting hips to slide more.

James Hirshfield

Tour Professional Golf Coach

@hirshfield <-- Follow me on Twitter!

james@thegolfevolution.com

UK 07939-902455

USA (814) 464-3446

Previously, Jamo's post had been the least comprehensible (to me) in this thread.

Lots of different illusions, apparently. Seems like we need Shakira in here to tell us the hips don't lie. Don't you see baby, asi es perfecto!

Stretch.

Here is a posterior view of Fred Couples. In the third picture, if we used the "tailbone" at the most rear point, would have the red line "going back" as you would describe per your illusion

The fact of the matter is we always say center, remember we have three dimensions, therefore the hips MOVE FORWARD

James Hirshfield

Tour Professional Golf Coach

@hirshfield <-- Follow me on Twitter!

james@thegolfevolution.com

UK 07939-902455

USA (814) 464-3446

I think most people don't realize the hips move forward because they don't understand that they literally have to to get the club down on plane. If the hips didn't slide forward, the hands would crash into the side violently. If you swing outside in, then the hips don't have to slide at all, you can swing over them, and cut right across the ball... Slice!

I'm a big dude, so I can't even have my keys in my right pocket during the swing, or I feel like I'll hit them coming down. If my hips stop, or don't clear, the ball is pulled a mile to the left. It's all about that so called "slot", some people like to use that term, others don't. Either way, the club has to come down through where the hips were prior to the start of the downswing in order to deliver a blow properly from the inside, and to give a long enough flat spot at the bottom of the swing in which to strike the ball.

You are looking at a point of the most posterior section of a sagittal plane which gives you this "illusion" that the tailbone is not moving forwards. Where as the point where both the sagittal and coronal plane intersect would show the center of the hips moving towards the target.

I follow you; well presented.