IGNORED

How far do you fly a six iron? Shaft?

Jay-Bird
Note: This thread is 5280 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Apparently I was wrong...make that about 170.

Bob Huddleston
Always looking for people to golf with in Memphis

In My Bag - Gigagolf
Driver/Woods: GX Squared Ti 10.5 -- 3W: GX Squared Fairway 15

Hybrids/Irons

3 HY: GX920 Hybrid 20 -- 4 HY: GX920 Hybrid 23 -- 5-9: GX920 Irons

Wedges

Pw: GX920 46 -- Aw: GX920 51 -- Sw: GX920 56 -- Lw: GX920 60

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

165-170 on the fly.
PX 6.0

FWIW - my swing speed calls for 5.5's. I got these clubs used late in the season with the 6.0's and didn't feel like spendin the money to switch this year. If I put the shafts on they'd be 5.5's.

The bag:

Driver: Taylormade R7 Limited (10.5*)
3-wood: Taylormade R7 st (15*)
5-wood: Titleist 909 F2(18.5*)Irons: Taylormade RAC TP MB; Project-X 6.0 (3-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 52.08 Vokey Spin-Milled 58.12Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #1 (33")Ball: Titleist ProV1

Around 160yds.
Mizuno MP60/DG300 Reg
In My Bag:

Driver: Titleist 905T 10.5º
3-Wood: Titleist 904F 15º
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20ºIrons: 4-PW Mizuno MP-60GW: Mizuno MP T 51ºSW: Mizuno MP T 56ºLW: Mizuno MP T 60ºPutter: Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

I fly it right at 175. I just made a switch so I am not possitive I have the Titleist 775 with stiff titleist Nippon 100 shaft.

My last irons (still sig) were about a club less (165) with the TT DG s shafts.

By the way. I really like my new irons so much more. What a difference.

Brian

Say you're in the fairway with a good lie, the greens are fairways are soft so you have to fly it to the green - what is your optimum distance to hit a 6 iron. Assuming calm conditions, 85˚ weather, low humidity, even elevation from ball to green...

My 6 goes anywhere from 180-190 on a flat surface - I have about the same speed as you, I forward press and probably deloft the club a little because I grew up playing in windy conditions. I have regular old True Temper stiff steel shafts or the original Speed Steps from Nike in my irons (the ones that haven't broken from metal fatigue or being slammed against the ground )

Im im sitting at 175, ill be happy, but I could push it to 190 if needed. Not my style though. I hit Titleist 735cm w/ S300.

Whats in the bag?
909 D3 8.5* UST Mamiya Tour Green X
909 F3 13* UST ATTAS X
909 F3 18* UST ATTAS X
909 H 21* DG S300 735cm chrome 5-PW DG S300 54.08 SM 58.04 SM 64.07 SM Studio Select Newport 2 Sonic Blue Dot...

About 170 - 180. MacGregor 1025M with a DGS300 - I've just changed to Rifle Flighted 6.0 so I'll know more about them in a few days!

There are some interesting claims in this thread re. flying a 6-iron miles; some when holding what appear to be high handicaps. Are we sure that's how far we're hitting it? Typically? Maybe we should ask the average 6-iron distance? I definitely smell BS in a lot of these numbers.....
Sorry I forgot this was supposed to be my internet 6 iron distance. On the web I hit my 6 Iron 203 yard unless I get all of it then it more like 214

My internet 6 iron distance is 310 yards, if I catch it all.

Lol! Indeed....

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I lol'd at the above two posts as well. I suppose the only measurement I really have for my clubs that I feel is true is when I rangefind a pin that I hit to a lot.

My 6 iron will stick on green either a little short or a little long to a par 3 that measures 179 to the middle. Considering I never land the middle, I think 180 is fair.

• Administrator
Are we

"Optimum" doesn't mean "maximum."

Asking for the optimum distance is basically asking for the "stock" shot.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You guys hit your irons so dang far . .even the ones who probably aren't lying.

I hit my 6 iron consistently about 130-140. I have 20 year old irons. Tour Model II (copy of Ping Eye 2) on Apollo Shadow steel shafts - stiff.

I'm there with you - 135 to 140 for a 6i. From 150 have to I pull a 5...

Ping Zing 2 JZ Stiff
In the bag:
905R 9.5° - UST ProForce V2 65R
909F2 15.5° Titleist Diamana 75
909H 19° Titleist Diamana 80
Zing 2 3-PW Vokey SM48.08 @ 51° Vokey SM56.11 Unitized Leo

Quick guess with little information...but try a demo with regular or even a senior shaft and see what happens. The swing speed that calls for a stiff iron shaft prob. won't be hitting it 140 yards. I'm hitting mine 160-170 and am thinking about going from stiff to reg, at least for a test.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

I'm pulling out a 6-iron when i'm looking at a distance ranging from 180-190 yards--depending on whether I want to hit a high or low cut, fade, draw, or whatever. However, I tend to play a high cut so at a comfortable rate i'm hitting a 6-iron at an average of 182-ish yards. I'm currently hitting Titleist ZM Forged irons (3i-9i) with Dynamic Gold x100 shafts (standard length).

In my bag

907 D2 Driver
904 F2 3 & 5 Wood
ZM Forged 4-9 Irons wedges 52 Spin Milled 48, 56, 60 Newport 2 putter 35"

Man, I already posted my distance and it makes me realize just how short of a hitter I am. My 6i is 155-160 but quite often I pull it out at 150. Even with the strong lofts on my X-18s that is all I can get out of it.

That isn't to say people are lying - that's not my intent at all. I just wish I could hit the ball farther. Granted, I've only been playing seriously for about a year after not being able to play for more than a few years.

Still - it's frustrating.

In my Callaway Warbird X stand bag:

Callaway FT-5 , regular flex
3 Wood, TaylorMade Burner 2007, regular Flex
Hybrid, Warrior Golf 19 degreeHybrid, Callaway X 3H 21 degreeIrons - Callaway X-18 4-PWSW Cleveland CG 12 60 degree, AW Cleveland CG 12 54 degree Putter - Odyssey White Hot #2Ball -...

Note: This thread is 5280 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!