IGNORED

Is Pebble Beach Worth $495 (or $550 in 2019)?

neophyte
Note: This thread is 1590 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

33 members have voted

1. 1. Is Pebble Beach Worth $495

• Yes
    • No

I'd pay $125 to play it, tops, no hotel requirement.

I paid $225 to play Spyglass in 2000. I wouldn't pay that much now, in retrospect. I actually paid $241 because I forgot to validate my 16 mile drive ticket - doh.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I love to play golf, any time, any place! I don't see where spending $495.00 + the cost of getting there could be THAT much more fun than I have playing my local course for a 25 min. drive and $30.00 for 18 holes with a cart and a good lunch included!! To me the idea is to have fun playing golf.

There are other courses I'd like to play first, but the thing with Pebble is, I might actually be able to get a tee time in my lifetime. I can't say that about Cypress Point and countless others. There's always Oregon.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

In high school, we were fortunate enough to play Carmel High School in a 9 hole practice match over spring break. After kicking their ass by god knows how many strokes, we were able to keep playing for free while they WALKED OFF the course (mind boggling how you can walk off that course). We teed off around 3 I think, finishing right as it got dark. One of the best golf memories of my life so far.

As for is it worth it? Tough since I played for free, but I would still say yes considering you used to have to stay there just to get a time which would cost god knows how much. They had some specials towards the end of summer this year for NCGA members I think where you could get out for the old rate of $350. If I had been working for a little longer and gotten some other guys, I would have definitely gone back in a heartbeat.

Pebble is one of those places you can't put a value on. It just HAS to get played at least once in your life. Period. If you've ever been to Monterey on a crystal clear sunny day, you would swear there is not a prettier place in the world even if you weren't playing golf. To add a round of golf on such historic land is something you just can't put a price tag on. If you think you'll only have one chance to play it and are hesitant about it, don't think, just say yes. I promise you will not regret it. Then again, I played pretty well that day, so that might have had something to do with it...

Driver: Taylormade Burner TP (2007 model)
Fairway Wood: Callaway Steelhead III 4+
Hybrid: Sonartec MD 19
Irons: Mizuno MP 33s  4-PW
Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled wedges: 60, 56, 52Putter: Odyssey DFX 9900

In high school, we were fortunate enough to play Carmel High School in a 9 hole practice match over spring break. After kicking their ass by god knows how many strokes, we were able to keep playing for free while they WALKED OFF the course (mind boggling how you can walk off that course). We teed off around 3 I think, finishing right as it got dark. One of the best golf memories of my life so far.

bolded is soooo true. there are just some courses that if given the chance and you are in the area must be played. Pine Valley, Merion, Oakmont, Whistling Straits, St. Andrews, Ocean course, Valderama, Pinehurst 2 and of course Augusta being the holy grail and many others!!! the list is actually quite long for me...again this assumes that 500 doesn't break you.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

With out question to me, yes. To be able to play a round with my dad would be worth the price. It's something to tell your grandkids.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

"Worth" and "value" are certainly relative, but some courses are simply must plays for me.....I won't say regardless of cost, but $500 isn't going to keep me from feeding the family or sending the kid to college. I haven't played Pebble yet, but will. For me the experience is more than simply the 4-5 hours on the course. The ability to keep a yardage book and scorecard and then continue to follow subsequent tournaments on tv while reliving my own experience is worth a couple hundred bucks to me.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Like others have said worth is an individual thing. To me Pebble Beach is probably worth the money. On the other hand, I have absolutely no desire to go to Scotland to play golf. To me a trip oversees to play St. Andrews is not worth the money. An individual decision.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

IMO, Pebble is a place that any serious golfer owes to themself to play at least once. Its not a place that most people could afford to play on a regular basis, but Id do $500 once just to say I played there. IMO, the experience alone would be worth the money.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

i personally would shell out $500 to play pebble golf. however... you have to include travel expenses and hotel and such, so playing a round at pebble really comes out to a lot more than just $500 (unless you're fortunate enough to live within driving distance), so given that, unless i win the lottery, i doubt if i play pebble anytime soon.

no...$500 is a hell of a lot of money to drop for a round of golf!

St Andrews which you all are saying is a course that you would pay that sort of money to play is only £120 a round which just now is under $200!
is Pebble Beach double to course that St Andrews is?...no way! therefore i couldnt justify paying that much money to play it

on the otherhand, fair play to Pebble Beach, the demand is high enough for them to charge that price so why wouldnt they? after all, if we had the money we all would pay it!
i would also expect that to a fair few of the people playing there, $500 is a tiny amount of money!

In my :mizuno: Staff Bag
Driver: :ping: i15 S-flex USTMamiya Tour Red
Fairway: :titleist: 909F2 15.5 X-flex UST Proforce V2 85
Hybrid: :mizuno: MP-FliHi 21* S300 +2 deg, +1/2"
Irons: :mizuno: MP-67 4-PW DG S300 +2 deg, +1/2"

Wedges: :vokey: Spin Milled 52.08 56.08 60.04

Putter: :cameron: Newport Beach customised by Kevin Colbert

Ball: :callaway: HX Black

GPS: :skycaddie: SGX

True, Pebble isnt double the golf course that St Andrews is, but Pebble is Pebble and people are obviously willing to pay that much to play there.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I've been extremely fortunate to play both Pebble Beach and St. Andrews, they are both incredibly special golf courses... Travel expenses were mentioned, it costs a heckuva lot more to get to Scotland than California for someone living in the States ... Both experiences were outstanding once-in-a-lifetime opportunities for me.

apex53
In my bag:
Titleist 913D3 9.5
Titleist 913F 15

Titleist 913H 19, 913H21

Titleist 712CB 5-P Titleist Vokey 54, 58 Scotty Cameron Fastback Titleist ProV1x

It's an elite place to play. If you are wealthy and the money is not an object, and you don't wan't to be bothered by common people - I'm sure it is worth it to you. However, I think if you looked at other great courses, including truly great public courses that are far cheaper, the value won't scale objectively. I'll never pay $500 for a round of golf. In my opinion it's decadent.

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

It's an elite place to play. If you are wealthy and the money is not an object, and you don't wan't to be bothered by common people - I'm sure it is worth it to you. However, I think if you looked at other great courses, including truly great public courses that are far cheaper, the value won't scale objectively. I'll never pay $500 for a round of golf. In my opinion it's decadent.

Why so judgemental? Probably 99% of the world's population would find your chosen sport of golf is "decadent". Aren't you one who has a thread about going to play Bandon soon? The Bandon prices you were quoting for your trip would be considered extravagent by many (but I'll certainly agree that you're getting a great deal to play a fantastic course!). And where do you get the idea that Pebble is only for the wealthy and a place to "not be bothered by the common people"? I played there in July and was teamed up with a PE teacher from Canada, a software engineering, and a retired engineering manager. Playing other courses in the area on the same trip, as a single I was paired with people who were all also playing Pebble during their visit, and their professions were a random mix including a firefighter, a quality assurance inspector, a college professor, another engineer, and a smattering of other professions that seemed pretty common. Not a Fortune 500 CEO in the group. No trust fund babies. No Wall Street tycoons. No Silicon Valley billionaires joined us, and no Hollywood stars. It seemed pretty much the same demographics as you'd get at your local reasonably priced course.

I'm not trying to attack you here, but you make some pretty judgemental statements that just aren't supported facts and overlook your own choice of a sport considered decadent by many. Instead, just say it that $495 to play such a great course isn't worth it to you and leave it at that.

Now there's an idea... I'd rather put the $500 toward a trip to Scotalnd, then play St. Andrews. That is the true golfers Mecca.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 1590 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!