IGNORED

Going to course alone.

Canuck14
Note: This thread is 5068 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've walked on solo a lot in the past. Sometimes played solo too. Sometimes I got put into a threesome who were into their own games so I just played like a fifth wheel on someone's double date, took my turn on the tees and greens but otherwise just kept to myself and out of their way. Other times I'd join a group who were sociable and had a pleasant round of golf. Once in awhile I'd get put with a jerk or two and once I just told them to play ahead while I went to look for a lost ball. Sometimes while playing solo another solo player will catch up, sometimes they are talkative, sometimes not, figure it out and adjust accordingly. Probably about the last time I played before my break I was put with a threesome, grandkid in his 30's and his two grandparents, turned out he is/was the cameraman/producer for a local outdoors show, that was a nice day, good conversation, and some solo time so I didn't intrude too much into their together time.

No issue at all walking on solo, slow days you'll play right away, busy days you might have to wait a bit for a short-handed group open to a random 4th to come along.

I can only think of one instance where I was playing solo and got behind a Friday Afternoon Foursome who were probably playing at a 6-7 hour pace for 18 holes. I finally came to a point on the course where I could skip a hole and went cross country to get ahead of them. I didn't log that day either, just called it exercise and practice.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

I enjoy playing as a single. If the course is empty I just speed on through and get the 18 in. Other days I join up with other people and have a pleasant time playing golf. I've played three 18 hole rounds and six 9 hole rounds since the course opened this year and I've played as a single every time. Once I decide to play when it's warmer than 60 and less than a 25 mph wind, I may have to play with another person.

in the bag...

Driver: MX560
3W/5W: Tight Lies
3i-pw: Pi-7gw/sw: Tom Watsonputter: Bulls Eye bag: Ozoneball: / home: Lake of the Woods @ www.golfthelake.com

At this time in the year I play almost exclusively solo. All of my friends who I like golfing with don't have the time in the spring. They're all baseball players so they have to stay after school for weightlifting and hitting Monday to Friday to get ready for the season. Lately I've tried playing with some different people, but really I prefer to just go out and play solo. The rounds go faster, and I can focus better.

R9 10.5 Aldila Voodo Stiff
S9-1 3W Stiff
Baffler 20 Degree
AP2 (3-PW) KBS Stiff
Vokey Design (52,56,60) Redwood

Here in the dead heat of summer (Mesa, AZ) I always go alone and love the open courses! The rate is lowest then and due to my super cool work schedule (I work 4 10-hr days Tu-Fri), I can get on Mon or Tues. and still have Sun. to hit the range prior. Being a runner much more than a golfer, I probably am one of the few here who can take the 110 degrees of June and July, so I rarely have company. My only potential golfing partners are a bud from work (who works the opposite days of me) and my 74 yr. old dad (who would not nor would I put him thru that heat!)

Actually, I do like getting one partner to pair up with on those courses that they put me with somebody as compared to joining 2 or three others. One of my favorite pairings was at a muni about 8-9 yrs. ago early in the summer, about a 90 degrees day. More of a hacker then, this guy I went on the same cart with was a literally a scruffy pirate compared to me. He had the Tats, smoked, and drank beers all the way on the course. (It was like noon). All these were the opposite of me, including his skill. He shot a 76 that day on a par 72 - I recall one hole where he holed out an eagle 5 iron just over 200 yds! The amazing thing to me was he had me take his money up to the clubhouse to get him two more cans of Bud at the turn - guess he had sort of a conscious on that.... I think he drank 6-8 beers that day, but man he could rip that ball!

Can't wait for my mostly solo summer outings again.

In My Orlimar Arctic Cart Bag: (A Desert Survival tool)
Driver:MP-600 10.5 Fujikara 360 S
3w:2009 17 deg. Launcher Fujikara Gold R
Hybrids:MX-700 17 deg. Exsar FS4 R, G-10 21 deg. UST V-2 R
Irons: 5-pw MP-32 True Temper R300Chipper/wedge: 37 deg. IDEA A3OS ChipperGW:MP-t10 Black Satin 52.07SW: V...

I too have gone to the course alone
I do it a lot actually
Last year I played a quick nine w two very young dentists - they seriously looked like 22 (but were more like 30), but you could almost see the knowledge these guys had when they talked
very mature and so polite it was crazy - i was just waiting on the tee box to tee myslef and it was super backed up - they asked me to join them

they were decent players too - they were in amazement of how well i played (that was a good day, I shot +1) but it felt like it was just a regular round w buddies

this migt sound wierd too, but I HATE playing in foursomes
maybe just because all my buddies are like 20+ hcps - love am all to death, but it sure makes for slow golf....which drives me nutz
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

I've never even considered going to the course alone to be a problem. It's not as fun as playing with others, and I tend to not be as focused, but other than that it's fine. If you don't know people at your local course, ask if you can be put into flights with others when ordering the tee time. Since I can play all day long, I'm often at the course early, when it's not very crowded, so I often walk alone.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I play solo a lot and providing it is not too busy, I like to play 2 balls off the tee and work on my game while I am out there.......

What's in my Stand Bag.....
Driver: 909 D2 8.5 Graphite Design YS-6
3-Wood: 904 F 15 Rifle Shaft
Irons: 2-PW 690 MB Blades
Wedges:Spin Milled 54 & 58 degreePutter: TeI3 Newport LongneckBalls: Pro-V1xFavorite Golfer: Nick Watney

i golf alone all the time. sometimes it's nice to play by yourself, or you get paired up and I have met some cool people over the years.. I played this past saturday, I was there early and was able to go out and play by myself (first one on the course). It was awesome, I played 18 holes in 2.5 hours shot a 77. I even played 2 balls at times just for fun and still blazed through the course. I play real fast and play better when I can play fast.

Titleist 913 D3
Taylormade RBZ 3 Wood

Taylormade RBZ 3 Hybrid

Taylormade RBZ 4 Hybrid

MIzuno MP52 5-PW

MIzuno 52* MP-T10 Wedge

Mizuno 56* R Series Wedge

Mizuno 60* R Series Wedge
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback

• 2 months later...
I play 95% of my golf alone. I play twice, sometimes three times a week. I am fortunate to have a great couse where greens fee is only $25 with cart and $14 to walk and a par 3/4 course right next to it that is $7 for 9 holes to walk, otherwise I could not afford my addiction.

I have 2 golf buddies that play only when they drag their hung over butt out of bed which is mid afternoon (too late for me). Sad that grown men still act like college boys. Or maybe I make golf more of a priority, maybe too much of one if that is such a thing. I am partially responsible since I prefer to play early - like at sunrise or no later than tee off at 8am, this is to beat the heat, high UV index and crowded course. It does suck, I mean if I ever get a hole in one, I don't have a witness!

Home Course Fairfield Greens
In my Bag Boy Revolver bag...
Driver: Tour Burner 43" REAX 60 gram shaft 13 degree
Fairway: X Tour 3 metal 15 degree
Hybrid: 5H 26 degreeIrons: X-22 5 thru PWWedges: Jaws 60, 52Putter: Tour White Hot #2 Center Shaft 33 inchesBall: ProV1

When practicing for upcoming tournaments, I'll play alot of late afternoon (9 holes) by myself to concentrate on my game. I love playing a late afternoon 9 holes and watching the sun go down.

Only one serious golfer in the department where I work, and he's on the road a lot. I often end up playing alone.

Courses vary on whether they will pair people up or not. Courses which fill up foursomes usually have quicker play than those where a stream of twosomes and singles trickle onto the course.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I play as a single or in a twosome with my brother or father 90% of the time, we either get paired up or when i go out in the evenings by myself i play alone a lot. gives me the opportunity to work on my game. To me there isnt anything better than being all alone playing golf with no distractions and no one to piss you off or piss on you....

Driver: R5 XL with Fujikira Stiff Shaft
3Wood: T60 Ignite
Irons: 735 CM with S300 Shafts
56 Degree: Carnoustie Black
60 Degree: Carnoustie BlackPutter: 34" Mini T White IceBall: : WhateverShoes: Icon Snake SkinGolf is the only sport where they encourage drug use and its not illegal,...

I nearly always go to the course alone, and I constantly get a hard time. They don't let singles make a tee time, then they seem to get pissed at me for not having a tee time when I get there.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I normally catch up with another person playing alone and play with them.
It's more interesting than playing with the same people over and over.

I still play with my regular friends but it's fun to mix things up.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I also play solo frequently. It's not uncommon at the course I've gone to as of late, I'll likely run across a few other singles while I'm out.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

I often go to the course as a single, but I rarely play alone. I don't usually like to play alone, and because of the traffic my home course gets, it isn't usually an option anyway. I've met a lot of good people when playing as a single. I played with a Congressman one day, I've gotten paired up with a number of pros here and there, and generally had good experiences with whoever I've played with. I still enjoy playing with guys I know too, but my schedule is so varied that I have to play when the opportunity presents. Sometimes that works out with my friends, sometimes it doesn't. I'm not going to skip playing just because I have to go as a single.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I would say > 90% of my golf outing is as a single. I enjoy getting paired up with strangers. Although you do see a couple of duds oncee in a while, they are far and few in between. Most of the time, it is very enjoyable playing with strangers. I think I actually tend to play better when playing with strangers than with my golf buddies.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

When I am on vacation I golf a lot as a single...
Sometimes I will call ahead, give my handicap and ask pro shop to match me up!
I often describe my golf game....
"As bad enough not to embarass my partners...
But good enough not to embarass myself! "
My only advice... Never give advice to your new 'friends'!
I once had a teenager offer to "help me" after two holes...
I shot an 78... while he finished with a 90 something...

Driver :T Edge CB-1 or Cally Mini Driver 14* or GBB 11*
Tour Edge CB2 15* 3 wood (Best Club Ever!)

Callaway XR 5Wood (New BCE!)

Hybrids: Nike SQ 23*  Tour Edge 28*

Irons: TMade RAC  7-PW   T Flight 56 SWedge
Putter: Odyssey 2 Ball Blade, SStroke flatside to hole

Note: This thread is 5068 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!