IGNORED

Sunscreen?

Note: This thread is 4526 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For me it's simple...lots of sun block ... Here is South Florida with summer temps in the high 90's/low 100's plus a humidity index of 80+% reapply is a must. What I have done successfully is apply prior to hitting the links to ensure the lotion has been absorbed, and then I typically re-apply when I see redness starting to appear (I use the spray type, but will look at non spray in the future).

I also carry a liquid hand sanitizer (waterless soap) and apply this after I use the lotion. The alcohol content in these virtually strips the oils off the sun screen lotion, then pad down with towel...and good to go!!!!
It's the indian, not the arrow! But it sure is nice to have good arrows!!!!!

Driver : r7 Limited 9.5* Matrix Ozik X-Con 5.5 (Reg) | Fairway: 906F4 15.5* (Reg) | Hybrids: DWS Baffler 3/R 20* (Reg) & Baffler Rail H 4-H 22* (Reg) | Irons: AP1 5-G (Reg) | Wedges: SW - SM56-10 & LW - SM60-04 | Putter:.....

• 1 month later...
I searched this (and others) thread hoping to find a "best of" sunscreen for us golfers. I am amazed at how many folks don't protect themselves, or take sun protection so non-nonchalantly. As a person that has scar tissue over at least 30% of my back and inside my left arm pit, let me assure you that malignant melanoma is not only real, it is frankly the scariest thing I have ever been through. I was diagnosed at age 32, so it's not strictly an old persons affliction. When my GP got a look at the 25-cent piece sized mole on my back he was aghast. A biopsy happened on the spot and was RUSHED! Two weeks later I was under the knife at UNC Chapel Hill's Cancer center. It took almost 6-weeks for me to regain limited use of my left arm due to the number of stitches, staples, and depth of the incisions.

I state all of the above not as a scare tactic, but to inform. I have to put on sunscreen everyday... and I HATE it!!! The alternative is to do nothing and risk committing long term suicide. I am always on the lookout for a product that will do a better, less greasy job. But honestly throwing a golf club due to greasy hands should be the least of worries. If you play golf, you are in the sun for a minimum of 2 hours for nine holes. That is more than enough time for you to get burned, and it only takes that one burn to cause cancer. Meaning you may get burned for your whole life with "no ill effect". Or you may be LUCKY like me and get the one burn that changes everything. And for those of you that are thinking, I only ever "tan"??? A tan is only a light burn!

Matt Schnurbusch

In the Bag:
Driver 9.5* XS Tour Square
Fairway Launcher 17*Irons X18R 4-SWWedge REG. 588 60*Putter Crimson Series 550Ball GamerGlove F3 Glove

I have had so much skin frozen and cut off me I never forget my Sun Block. I use Bull Frog gel. It is messy but it stays on, you have to wash it off, and works. Don't forget to wipe or wash you hands off before you play.

Butch

I don't want to pretend to have had my entire back infected with melanoma, but I have had about 10 moles removed that were possibly cancerous. All came back negative but the threat is very real.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For my face, ears and neck, I use Neutrogena Age Shield Face Sunblock (I have 70 SPF right now, but it comes in a range of SPFs). It's specifically designed for your face, so it's not greasy, and I've never had to reapply it even when I'm outside for a while. You can get it at any Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, etc.

For other exposed areas I typically use Bullfrog - usually use spray because (1) easier to apply in the first place, and (2) I don't have to worry about cleaning my hands, should I need to reapply it on the course.

In my X-Series Bag:

Driver G10 10.5*
Woods V-Steel 3W, 5W
Hybrids Pinemeadow ZR1 19* 3HIrons MX-19 4-GWWedge MP-R Black Nickel 54/10Putter Rossa Sebring AGSI+

I used to use Bullg frog, but it gummed up so bad forming littles balls on my skin that I quit using it. Back in the day, PreSun was my favorite. It was expensive as hell at 12.00 for a 4oz bottle 6 years ago, but it went on clean lasted all day on the lake fishing, and I never got so much as a hint of color using it. Then it just vanished from all of my local stores!

Matt Schnurbusch

In the Bag:
Driver 9.5* XS Tour Square
Fairway Launcher 17*Irons X18R 4-SWWedge REG. 588 60*Putter Crimson Series 550Ball GamerGlove F3 Glove

Skin cancer is a problem that is to real to ignore. One of my buddies was diagnosed with skin cancer and although he made a full recovery, it screwed his life up somewhat. Here is Asia everybody uses sunblock without fail and ususally in many of the private golf clubs they'll provide sunblock in the locker rooms, although it's not the best quality!

I've used several brands, but have found the better ones to be the 'sport' versions where the lotion tends to be less greasy and more sweat resistant. I've found the neutrogena brand to be amongst the best I've used, but have also used banana boat and copper tone.

I'm not sure about the US,but in Europe I'm certain they're not allowed to be specific with the labelling of SPF - anything claiming to be higher than SPF50 can only be labelled as SPF50+, because there's a fair bit of debate about the real level of protection some of the higher SPFs actually offer.

Just recently I invested in a long sleeved Skins compression shirt, which is SPF50 rated, which means I don't bother applying sub block to my arms. The shirt is also supposed to help reduce muscle fatigue (I'm undecided on this up to now), and keep me cooler in the heat (this is confirmed), which is usually around the 95 mark. Expensive, but definitiely one of the smartest investments I have made for golf gear.
In the bag...

G10 9° Driver
G10 17° 4 Wood
G10 21° Hybrid i15 4-PW Tour-W Wedges 50/12 & 56/10 Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 (35")Balls - Bridgestone B330-RX

Have you thought about wearing a Greg Norman style hat? it protect you from the sun in your face, front and back of your neck.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

• 1 year later...

Recently, I noticed a small skin abnormality just to the side of my left eye so after a few months I scheduled my first appointment ever with a dermatologist. I am mid-forties and grew up in South Florida and windsurfed, sailed, and played outdoor sports growing up. I remember using sunblock (Sundown 15) when I was in my late teens when I was teaching windsurfing because I was literally getting too dark. Before that time it was hit or miss and we just didn't know any better.

During my visit to the Dr. he cut and/or burned off about 6 abnormalities with the only real concern being next to my eye. After getting the lab results of basal cell carcinoma, I was scheduled for the Mohs procedure today. The procedure went fine but the doc had to go in twice and remove tissue. He told me that I was lucky to have noticed it because if I had waited, the surgery would have been a lot more invasive. As it is I have a small incision with just a few stitches about an inch long.

My point is to wear your sunblock and then to get checked if you see something abnormal.  Additionally, if you are in your forties you should go in to a dermatologist. If you catch it early it is not a big deal, but if you wait you may have a real problem on your hands. I feel fortunate to have noticed this and to have it taken care of before it got out of control.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5* | Rad Tour 18.5* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

When I moved to Calgary, I could not believe the amount of people who don't wear sunscreen, and the amount of people who use tanning beds....

The sun is a lot weaker here even in dead of summer compared to NZ ( burn in 10 minutes - no joke! ) because of the ozone layer hole right above us down under....but still - people truly believe here that having a tan is healthy....

Getting sun is good for you - but when you're tanned - you're wearing dead skin particles and ageing at a higher rate.

You can be pale and healthy!

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with many of the previous posters - the spray versions work the best, esp for a hairy guy like me!  I usually use the "thick" lotion on my face/ears/neck and put it on before I get dressed while I'm at home, so that way it has plenty of time to soak in before I get to the course (I have 4 courses within 10min drive of my house).  I know several skin cancer casualties, and since I work as an Athletic Trainer, I'm outside for much of my job, I preach at my students to wear sunscreen! I do rock a huge brimmed Columbia hat for football preseason, but not sure about wearing it to golf in - lol

:
Driver:  MachSpeed Black 10.5 Fukikura Motore Speeder shaft

1Hybrid: VR PRO 15* (replacing my 3wood with this) 

Hybrids:  Baffler 18*, DWS 20*, TWS 23*

5I-GW  Mx-19 

Wedges - 50.08/54.14/58.10 

Putter:iN Craz-e

Ball: Pro V1x or Callaway Tour i(z) 

If I know I'll be out in the sun for the day I apply P20 in the morning. Then when it's dry I get dressed and I'm done for the whole day (coming from a guy with milky white skin, blonde hair blue eyes and the type of skin that gets burned if the room's light bulb is too bright! lol)

P20 is quite frankly a miracle cream.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Quote:
There are a lot of studies out there that also tell you that the chemicals commonly found in sunscreens are bad for you too. Do some more research before just buying any brand of sunscreen.

Go here and make your own decisions: http://www.ewg.org/whichsunscreensarebest/2009report .

Be careful what you read on the internet.  A lot of "studies" can be more marketing than actual research.

Sunscreens are regulated as "over the counter", OTC, drugs and must conform to a monograph (legal definition) as required by the FDA.  All active ingredients in the sunscreens are covered by the monograph.  Significant research and testing must go into the actives before they are ever approved.

The inactive ingredients, solvents like water and ethanol, emollients like silicones and vitamins are industry regulated.  Sometimes ingredients come under scrutiny and are removed by most reputable companies.  Most ingredients have been heavily tested over time.  This is a heavily regulated product, much like all OTC drugs.

The bigger concern for me is where is the product made.  Sunscreen is a seasonal product.  Most of the major brands are either made at a company factory or a reputable contract manufacturer.  The smaller brands may be made at a "cheaper" contract manufacturer.  This is where I would be more concerned.  The smaller outfits may cut corners and have less than adequate controls.  If the back label says, "Distributed by", then it is made at a contract manufacturer and not at a company factory.

Major companies spend millions each year on research, consumer testing, quality control, quality auditing and training of their people.  Smaller companies may not have the resources and must trust the contractor to do that.  Smaller companies may even be using a contractors cheap formula, which is common.  Big companies can have issues too, but they are usually more of an FDA focus and get visited a lot.

I have significant expertise in the area, 25+ years and have a MS in Chemical Engineering. I have worked with and visited many contract manufacturers.  Some are excellent.  Some you would say, OMG.

I won't let anyone I know eat novelty bubble gum that comes in a tube, you know like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, etc.  I saw it being made years ago.  It is not regulated or controlled by any over site agency.  No holds barred.  You get my meaning.  Yuck.

Bottom line is to be an informed consumer.  Don't necessarily take internet research data at face value either.  Read the label.  Label ingredients are listed in order of their weight percent in the product, high to low.  Most ingredients are there to either help the active transport to the skin or just make the product be more stable.  For example:

water - solvent and could be as much at 80% of the product.

ethanol - solvent that evaporates faster.

sorbitol - humectant (helps keep moisture on the skin like glycerin)

glycerin - bit more pricey than sorbitol, but excellent humectant.

starch - thickener and helps product stick to skin

triethanolamine and stearic acid - make soap and help the product wash off later when you want it too.

XX isostearate or distearate etc - thickeners, the XX can be a few different things but it is the same purpose.

benzyl alcohol or stearyl alcohol, thickening agents (not at all like ethanol, these are fatty alcohols and are like waxes).  These help make the product feel nice when applied.

dimethicone or anything with silane in the name - silicone polymer that makes your skin feel smooth

vitamin E - tocopherol or tocopheryl acetate - it is in there at too low a level to really help your skin much and is there more to stabilize the product.  It is an anti-oxidant.

Fragrance - you smell nice

methyl and propylparaben - preservatives.  Usually the cream applied sunscreen need this because the pH is less than 8.

EDTA - chelating agent.  Helps keep product stabile by capturing free ions like iron.

Carbomer - thickening agent Carbopol.

Stuff listed below fragrance is probably in there at less that 1%.  A lot of it is there for "label" claims too like aloe vera.  Aloe vera by itself is a good skin benefit product.  But at levels in most products, it is just there to be on the label so you can say, "with Aloe".

There can be other things with long chemical names, but most are either emollients for skin feel, structural aids to keep the product stable, humectants to make skin feel moist or preservatives.  If it is listed after the fragrance or dye, it is in at a very low level.

Hope this helps.  BTW the company I work for does not make sunscreen.  I have no vested interest in any particular brand, but just wanted to give you a bit of info.  Most companies also have a phone number to call if you have questions.  Give them a call.  They are paying people for just that reason.  If you have a complaint, they need to know to help make the product better.  you will usually get coupons or freebees too.

Thanks for reading.

• Informative 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Zeph

I apply it in the morning before I go out to play, washing my hands of all excess before leaving. If I have to apply it on the course, I'll just sprinkle some water on the hands and dry them on the towel, never had a problem with the hands getting slippery.

Early application and hand washing is the key for sure. Good point Zeph!

Note: This thread is 4526 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!