IGNORED

Shorter (Probably Better) Swing? Keep the Right Arm Straight

Note: This thread is 819 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The other rope one is me looking for the nearest tree after shooting a 104... hehe:beer:

Ha, I used to that drill all the time!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 weeks later...
Trying to keep the right arm (trail arm) extended on the BS can help the average golfers ball striking ability (to a limited point). For better golfers this is a no no. Prevents internal right shoulder rotation during transition and often replaces it with early external rotation - an early steepening shaft - hands dropping down - right elbow stuck high and back behind the body etc. etc. Not stuff you see with the best ball strikers. Good drill in some cases, but you better know what you're doing.

Trying to keep the right arm (trail arm) extended on the BS can help the average golfers ball striking ability (to a limited point).

For better golfers this is a no no. Prevents internal right shoulder rotation during transition and often replaces it with early external rotation - an early steepening shaft - hands dropping down - right elbow stuck high and back behind the body etc. etc. Not stuff you see with the best ball strikers.

Good drill in some cases, but you better know what you're doing.

This makes no sense.  The guy in your avatar is doing just that.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Trying to keep the right arm (trail arm) extended on the BS can help the average golfers ball striking ability (to a limited point). For better golfers this is a no no. Prevents internal right shoulder rotation during transition and often replaces it with early external rotation - an early steepening shaft - hands dropping down - right elbow stuck high and back behind the body etc. etc. Not stuff you see with the best ball strikers. Good drill in some cases, but you better know what you're doing.

Doesn't internal rotation of the right shoulder at transition cause an OTT move?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Doesn't internal rotation of the right shoulder at transition cause an OTT move?

No. Not necessarily.

And @Hennybogan007 , we know that this is not a "cure all" or anything like that. In fact, golfers who take "too much" of this medicine will often keep the right/trail elbow too straight too long in the backswing, then will over-flex it in transition (with or without some trail shoulder retraction/external rotation) or something else.

There are, as you likely know, a lot of different feels that work for golfers, This one works for many, and is even something for which we built our own training aid. But yes, of course, it does not work for everyone. We've used this thought and the training aid on golfers of all ability levels, including +2s. For others, it's not good, but the line doesn't really get drawn between "good and bad" players in our experience.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

@iacas , just saw this thread and I'm sorta curious how this works in contrast to what I'm working on, i.e., getting the right arm to fold earlier in the backswing.  Seem almost in direct opposition of that idea.  Mind explaining?

• Administrator
@iacas, just saw this thread and I'm sorta curious how this works in contrast to what I'm working on, i.e., getting the right arm to fold earlier in the backswing.  Seem almost in direct opposition of that idea.  Mind explaining?

You definitely are a bit of the opposite direction. This part applies to you:

In fact, golfers who take "too much" of this medicine will often keep the right/trail elbow too straight too long in the backswing, then will over-flex it in transition (with or without some trail shoulder retraction/external rotation) or something else.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

doing just what? Steeping the shaft in transition, right elbow staying high and back? Im interested in reading what you think Mr. Hogan is doing in my avatar regarding the downswing

No. Not necessarily. And @Hennybogan007 , we know that this is not a "cure all" or anything like that. In fact, golfers who take "too much" of this medicine will often keep the right/trail elbow too straight too long in the backswing, then will over-flex it in transition (with or without some trail shoulder retraction/external rotation) or something else. There are, as you likely know, a lot of different feels that work for golfers, This one works for many, and is even something for which we built our own training aid. But yes, of course, it does not work for everyone. We've used this thought and the training aid on golfers of all ability levels, including +2s. For others, it's not good, but the line doesn't really get drawn between "good and bad" players in our experience.

You're correct, there is no line between average and better ball strikers. This drill can be helpful for swings of all levels, and I'm definitely not saying it's wrong. Just saying there could be negative effects if you don't know what your doing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

doing just what? Steeping the shaft in transition, right elbow staying high and back? Im interested in reading what you think Mr. Hogan is doing in my avatar regarding the downswing

I was confused as to what you were stating.  Hogan is not allowing his right arm to collapse or have a flying elbow.  You said this was a no-no.  Some players, like Nicklaus, did allow their right elbow to get behind them and had it high, but the always brought it back and in front on the down swing.  I just don't understand what your were trying to state.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

I was confused as to what you were stating.  Hogan is not allowing his right arm to collapse or have a flying elbow.  You said this was a no-no.  Some players, like Nicklaus, did allow their right elbow to get behind them and had it high, but the always brought it back and in front on the down swing.  I just don't understand what your were trying to state.

I did. Nicklaus let the elbow get high but he didn't externally rotate the shoulder much. Not like you see some players.

And… of course, @Hennybogan007 , this advice is not "one size fits all." It goes without saying for EVERY golf tip that you shouldn't use it/try it/do it if you don't need it.

• 4 months later...
For me this has been a very helpful BS action. Because I would tend to use my right bicep--thinking that's what I was supposed to do--and I would inevitably over bend my right arm and thus over bend my left arm. The shaft would practically be resting on my neck at the top. I have much better contact when I think of turning my sternum away from the target while extending my right arm (using my tricep). Feels totally bizarre but I can't argue with the results. I hit it further too. And straighter.

This is a flaw that keeps creeping back into my swing so this is a very helpful tip. Feels like you are going to go over the top but if you have a good secondary axis tilt then you don't Will need to work on this for a good month I think to bed it down.

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

• 2 weeks later...
- feel like you keep your right arm straight(er) on the backswing. Give it a try.

It works very well, but I was very disappointed that my lead arm was not actually straight. IDK why? I discovered this with a faster camera I just got. Previously I thought it could have been camera distortion, but now I know for sure it's not straight. I've been actively trying to keep it straight by turning it a little inward, relaxing/slouching the lead shoulder, start off turning slowly then progressively moving faster. Every time I watch the video of a full swing it really is disappointing to see the lead elbow break down when in the backswing it's very straight while during the swing it really feels nice and straight and just isn't. :-(

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I think this guy does a good job ... keeping the right arm straigtish...

(on another point, think Kostis is taking a dig at Tiger? "Notice how the cap doesn't move...")

(on another point, the head goes back when shaft is parallel before contact)

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

It works very well, but I was very disappointed that my lead arm was not actually straight. IDK why? I discovered this with a faster camera I just got. Previously I thought it could have been camera distortion, but now I know for sure it's not straight. I've been actively trying to keep it straight by turning it a little inward, relaxing/slouching the lead shoulder, start off turning slowly then progressively moving faster. Every time I watch the video of a full swing it really is disappointing to see the lead elbow break down when in the backswing it's very straight while during the swing it really feels nice and straight and just isn't. :-(

At what point in the backswing does the lead arm start to break down?

Colin P.

I think this guy does a good job ... keeping the right arm straigtish...

Thanks, but it still bothers me that it really feels straight?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

It works very well, but I was very disappointed that my lead arm was not actually straight.

IDK why? I discovered this with a faster camera I just got. Previously I thought it could have been camera distortion, but now I know for sure it's not straight. I've been actively trying to keep it straight by turning it a little inward, relaxing/slouching the lead shoulder, start off turning slowly then progressively moving faster. Every time I watch the video of a full swing it really is disappointing to see the lead elbow break down when in the backswing it's very straight while during the swing it really feels nice and straight and just isn't.

At what point in the backswing does the lead arm start to break down?

At about the same point in the video of Jason Day. Obviously, not exactly as his timing is really good, and everything else is so much better. I'm sure he's fully optimized. . .

Now that I have a nifty slow motion camera, I'll be analyzing it in more detail. No more blurry videos.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Thanks, but it still bothers me that it really feels straight?

Think arms wide and in front of chest but not forced wide (stay relaxed) so they will remain slightly bent. Assuming you go for rather passive arms (they follow chest) during backswing. Look from :38-:41 at right arm. Do not lock the left arm straight -- it is relaxed. From what I've been told, even Day's left arm is not locked straight - it is straight but relaxed.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 819 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!