IGNORED

What's the point in playing a Pro V?

Note: This thread is 5068 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I played with 3 golf balls today.

I think you've done your homework and you've found a great way to afford more rounds of golf.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me , the scoring balls are the ProV1x.
What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

I like the ProV1x or the Hx Tour because of how they react in my short game. I'm a high spin player, sometimes if the greens are soft it's a bit complicated to play for me. In terms of durability I leave the groove marcks a lot on the balls but I use them until I loose them haha... they still do their work... I guess...

Greetings!

Driver: 905R 9.5° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Fairway: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Hybrid: 585.H 21° (S300) | Irons: AP2 4-PW (Project X 6.0) | Wedges: Vokey Design 52.08, 56.11 & 60.11  | Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

There are some two piece balls (not a cheap as the Top Flites) with softer covers, like the Bridgestone e5 or the Srixon AD333 that for sure outperform the cheap rocks without the price tag of V1 ..... maybe I should try the Bridgestone e6 to reduce sidespin, but on the otherhand I prefer to analyse what I did "wrong". To me the e5 is a fine combination of length from the tee and added contol around and on the green.

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

For the Op...I Think that if you feel that the XL is a better ball for you. ....well good for you. If the extra spin and stopping power that premium ball offers does not affect our style of play, then you are making the right choice for you.

I think people often forget that golf is a very personal sport. What works for you may not work for me, regardless of the marketing hype. With that said, it is a sport of perception and image. If the Pro V1(x) or Pentas, or ...(fill in the blank) makes you think that you will have better results, then so be it....in game of confidence, a $4 ball may give you that extra encouragement to take a risk or make you think that you can 100% sink that 40 ft putt. It doesn't matter...if it work (in your head or reality) for you, then use it.

Now for the rest of people on the thread....do your homework. I am pretty sure that for 80% of people playing Pro V's or B330's or Pentas....you really don't need them. I have played at this point about 7 or 8 different configurations Tri-Speed, AD333, DT Solo Roll, NXT, Pro V1, Slazenger Raw, Mojo, Gamers & Gamers V2, TM TP Reds, Wilson Ultras, Precept EV....those come to mind I'm sure there are a few others (pinnacles come to mind)...bottom line for me loosing a $2.00 ball pisses me off, so the Pro V1's are off limits until I drop about 6 more strokes.

Quick review:
- DT Solo ....Didn't like much..can't really explain it, but meh!
- Mojo SUCKED!!!! Short rocks...that's all I'll say.
- AD333 great off the driver, and decent on putting greens, but the short game spin was just ok.
- Tri-Speed have very good spin for the short game, and reduced spin on drives, but it does not bite much.
- Gamer and Gamer V2 suit my style very well...and at $20 (or less) per dozen, I am pretty happy with the results. I have pretty long drives, perhaps not my longest, but certainly my straightest ones. Short game spin is great, and bite is fantastic. Durability is mostly the issue, but I am most likely will loose it before it is no longer playable.

Bottom line play what makes you play better...if it's a $0.50 ball or a $4.00 ball so be it...what ever makes you confident with any situation....for me it's the gamer, followed by the TriSpeed as my balls of choice.
It's the indian, not the arrow! But it sure is nice to have good arrows!!!!!

Driver : r7 Limited 9.5* Matrix Ozik X-Con 5.5 (Reg) | Fairway: 906F4 15.5* (Reg) | Hybrids: DWS Baffler 3/R 20* (Reg) & Baffler Rail H 4-H 22* (Reg) | Irons: AP1 5-G (Reg) | Wedges: SW - SM56-10 & LW - SM60-04 | Putter:.....

Seriously, I can't seem to get an entire 18 holes out of a ProV1/V1x without scuffing one on an approach. I'll still play them when I can afford to do so however.

People do perhaps have a different view on when a ball is not fit for play. As long as the ball is round and most dimples are intact, I can play it, doesn't matter if some of the outer layer is ripped of with a wedge, the ball flies just as well without it. As long as I make sure to remove any loose stuff still on the ball, it rolls the same on the green.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Don't fall for the e6 hype. It's my ball, it is all I play with but they are still prone to be hooked and sliced like any other ball. I play it because it is affordable, it's durable, and it feels great to me from driver to putter. Last year before a golf trip I bought a box of ProV1s and promptly lost every single one within a month. I told myself then and there I am just not at a level where it matters all that much.

I have never had an issue with slicing but hooking, that's another story. And I can tell you the e6 moves just as far and as fast left as the ProV1.

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

You know what I hate about a Pro V ? My wedges turning them into fur balls after a couple shots!......... LOL This new Vokey doesnt seem to do it as bad as the Ping Tour I used previously.

Use whatever ball you fancy. However. Try getting any grip with a Rock Flight XL on a Summer green from any distance what-so-ever. I'm not wedded to any particular brand but I do like a ball with good control from 100 yards in and the Rock Flight XL is not it. Hate the feeling off the putter as well.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

The simple fact is that most people shouldnt be playing a ball like the Pro V1. Most of us dont have the swingspeed to compress them properly and dont keep the clubface square enough to hit them straight.
Most of us, at best are only going to shoot a few strokes lower with a tour ball.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I can't play top flites because I think they are comparable to hitting rocks, but I do agree that playing a ProV is total overkill.

Any 15-25 dollar per dozen ball is more than sufficient nowadays..

WITB;

R9 9.5* TP Driver
906f2 15* 3 Wood
585h 21* Hybrid j33 Irons RAC tp 52*/56* Wedges Newport 1.5 e6 Ball

this just in.....

Srixon Trispeeds are the best ball ever
hop and stop, very little driver spin, feel as soft or softer than any Pro V and @ $29/dozen......you can't beat it
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

I played with 3 golf balls today.

Did you play 3 rounds? Did you play 3 balls (ie - 3 shots on each hole)? If not, then the point is you played one round with 3 golf balls, so... unless you played each hole 3 times with each different ball or played your own mini-scramble type round, then you really don't know that much at all. The drives that went farther simply could have been a) hit better, b) got more roll, c) wind-aided. The 'hop and stop' wedge may have been into an upslope or a softer green. You get the picture. You really can't tell anything after only 1 round.

In my :nike:  bag on my :clicgear: cart ...

Driver: :ping: G10 9*    3-Wood: :cleveland: Launcher
Hybrid: :adams: 20* Hybrid      Irons: :ping: i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)

Did you play 3 rounds? Did you play 3 balls (ie - 3 shots on each hole)? If not, then the point is you played one round with 3 golf balls, so... unless you played each hole 3 times with each different ball or played your own mini-scramble type round, then you really don't know that much at all. The drives that went farther simply could have been a) hit better, b) got more roll, c) wind-aided. The 'hop and stop' wedge may have been into an upslope or a softer green. You get the picture. You really can't tell anything after only 1 round.

1 round, 3 balls (I was by myself).

I'm not going to bother going into detail about this, after a round of golf you'll get a pretty good idea of whats going on with each ball.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I think if more people took the time to objectively evaluate different balls like the OP did they would be really surprised by their result. The average player simply does not have the game to differentiate between balls. Take the print off the outside of the ball and there would go 90% of the incentive to play specific balls.

Most golfers don't ask the biggest question when it comes to balls: what is the cover made of? The answer is urethane vs. everything-else.

Urethane covered balls spin more than anything else--a lot more. Even the cheapest urethane golf ball will spin more off a wedge than the most expensive surylan covered ball. If you emphasize your short game (and are looking for a lot of backspin off wedge shots to stop the ball) you've got to go with a urethane covered ball, plain and simple. If not, then you are a candidate for some other material. All of which are more durable and cheaper than urethane. They also generally provide less spin off the driver (and thus less side-spin) than urethane balls. And IMHO, 80% of golfers would be do just as well with any urethane covered ball (expensive or cheap). They wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Between a urethane covered ball and a surlyn covered ball? Definitly.

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

1 round, 3 balls (I was by myself).

The days are long in the summer and we're not on tour so We can play any ball at any time. There doesn't need to be rush to decide which ball is "the one".

I'd suggest practicing and playing rounds for a full dozen balls (i.e. a box) or longer, especially if you have 1 bad day and lose the dozen (not likely, but I'm just sayin'). There might be situations where you prefer one ball over another, but which ball you like overall is important. Which ball offers the best results while still being a good value. It may well be the Top Flite - I really like their newer balls too (from the Callaway era). I'd rate a few balls at par as far as scoring goes after playing a dozen with each. I really like the Srixon Trispeed and the Wilson Eco Core. I'd picked up 4 dozen Wilsons when Walmart had them on sale ($13 ror a 15 pack) so it's my ball for a while. The best thing about playing a Wilson or a Top Flite? Nobody wants 'em. If I hit a ball onto an adjacent fairway I know it will still be there when I get to it - and if someone replaces it with a Slazenger - oh well.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Most of us, at best are only going to shoot a few strokes lower with a tour ball.

If it saves me a few strokes, it's worth it to me.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Note: This thread is 5068 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!