IGNORED

What's you avg long distance from the fairway ?

sam004
Note: This thread is 4964 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I could be totally wrong, but I think I read something last year that said that PGA golfers stick the green from 200 yds only around 50% of the time, so you and me and the rest of us are in good company. I imagine if I could reliably hit greens from 200 yds I'd only ever need to work on putting to break par.

me too.

I have problems hitting the green with a 6i, never mind a wood!

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't read a post that claimed that - can you direct me to one?

There are two on page five of this thread. I'd link but I'm on my iPhone on vacation and can only do the basics

There are two on page five of this thread. I'd link but I'm on my iPhone on vacation and can only do the basics

That's two pages in the future with my settings. Assuming that would be somewhere between post 20 and 60 - I'll check it out.

EDIT: I didn't find any posts where people are claiming to hit and stick the green from 260 (that would be an awesome skill). Personally, I'd probably bounce off the green hitting it from 260, so I'd try to run it on.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I can get my 3 wood to around 220-230, perhaps more with downhill or roll. I hit my driver the same distance though...

Hitting the green with a 3 wood is pure bonus, I'm just hoping I don't slice, hook or chunk it.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I could be totally wrong, but I think I read something last year that said that PGA golfers stick the green from 200 yds only around 50% of the time, so you and me and the rest of us are in good company. I imagine if I could reliably hit greens from 200 yds I'd only ever need to work on putting to break par.

I should probably edit my post to say that when I said I can "reliably" hit the green from 190 and under I didn't mean hitting the green 50-75% of the time or anything.

It just means that, if I go for a green from 190 yards and closer, I feel comfortable that even if I can only get it on the green a few times out of 10, I'm in a good position to get up and down. Whereas if I take the 3 wood from 210+, I'm in jeopardy of getting into real trouble. Last week I had a really good round. I had a 3 iron from 195-205 three different occasions that round. 1 was on a par 5 where I was 195 yards out (into the wind). Another was on a very long par 4 where I was about 200 yards out in the first cut of rough. The last one was on a 205-yard par 3. On two of the three I hit the 3iron well and straight as an arrow and landed the ball on the front fringe to a front hole location. I was very pleased with this. On the other one I hit a weak hook that landed 35 yards short of the green in the left rough (of course this was the par 5, where I was trying to reach in two). Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

conditions fair no trouble near hole. On nearly all par 4s- and my tee shot is still in the fairway! Im usually hitting into green with a 53 degree or higher from 150.

On par 5's if again tee shot is in fairway, I am looking at 250 yards from green to as close as 200 yards, sadly I have no club for that distance since i cant hit off the deck worth crap. I will usually unload with a 8iron and either hit it fat for 100 to 150 yards or might get lucky and hit a pure power draw to 220. I deloft my irons and the 8 turns into a 4. This month Ive been on the same par5 500yd in two, from 200 out and 150 out.

I would say with my chaotic game

220-250 yards out %8 chance of getting on
200-220 yds out %15 chance
175-200 yds out %25
150-175 yds out %35
130-150 yds out %40
100-130 yds out %50
10-99 yds out %75
0-9 yds out %90
Par 4's from the tee under 340 yds %5 in one stroke.

I go for it everytime from the deck. those numbers are just guesses and are based off of holes in which I am playing my holes fairway, not the adjacent.

That's two pages in the future with my settings. Assuming that would be somewhere between post 20 and 60 - I'll check it out.

Post 38 or 37 I think. Maybe he was being sarcastic?

Post 38 or 37 I think. Maybe he was being sarcastic?

Are you referring to, "I can usually get a 3 wood on or around the green from around 250-260". Is that the post that got you fired up? I'm not sure where you play golf, but a lot of guys can really hammer a golf ball. Based on the guys I've played with over the years his post is not far fetched in any way. He also didn't claim to hit and "stick" from 260.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I have no problem hitting the 3 wood and the max I can get out of it from the turf is 245.

In my bag:
Driver: R5 TP Diamana 83s Shaft
Fairway: Burner 15 degree Fujikura REAX
Hybrid: Custom 19 degree
Irons: DCI 990 S300 4-PW

Wedges: NF 52.04*, Spin Milled 56.10* and 60.08*

Putter: Red X3

Ball: ProV1

Shoe: Tour 360 LTD

If I'm 250 out in the fairway, I'll either use a driver off the deck in the morning, or my 17º 2 hybrid in the afternoon to try and get there. If I catch it pure, then I usually get there. If not, then its around 10 yards short.

So I'll claim 240 yards as my maximum.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

flat conditions, I'll take my 4 wood from 250 out from center green, no second thoughts. However, if I don't have a flat lie, I'll only hit a short punch at maybe 225. Too long of a shaft to take a full whack at a funny stance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

flat conditions, I'll take my 4 wood from 250 out from center green, no second thoughts. However, if I don't have a flat lie, I'll only hit a short punch at maybe 225. Too long of a shaft to take a full whack at a funny stance.

That's a good point-an uneven or relatively severe downhill or uphill lie pretty much takes a full 3 wood out of play.

The best I've ever done is I've hit the green with my 4 iron a couple of times from about 170 - 180 yards. I'm better off laying up.

Driver: Titleist TSR1 12*

3 Wood: Titleist TSR1 15* @ 16.5*

4 Hybrid: Titleist TSR1 20*

5 Hybrid: Titleist TSR1 23* @ 25*

Irons: Titleist T350 5-W2 23*-53*

Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM8 60.14K*

Putter: Titleist SC Super Select Newport 2

Are you referring to, "I can usually get a 3 wood on

I disagree, considering you don't regularly see that kind of distance and accuracy on tour, but that's ok, if guys get a boner by claiming they can hit a 3 wood off the deck farther than you're average amatuer can drive then it's no sweat to me....

Your putting must be shitty.

And you really must be "dazed-n-confused".

My Implements of Destruction (carried in a Hoofer Lite bag):

DRIVER: Big Bertha Diablo 10 degree draw, Aldila regular flex
FAIRWAY WOODS: G2 14 degree 3 wood & 17 degree 5 wood
IRONS: S59 3-PWWEDGES: M/B 54, 58, & 60 degree PUTTER: I Series Anser 4 (or G5i Anser, Anser 2F, or original...

I disagree, considering you don't regularly see that kind of distance and accuracy on tour, but that's ok, if guys get a boner by claiming they can hit a 3 wood off the deck farther than you're average amatuer can drive then it's no sweat to me....

+1

I use my 5W and on average I can get it around 160m which is about 176 yards. I don't bother with the 3W. To get your 3W 250 - 260 yards... wow, I'm guessing you would have to be almost a scratch golfer. Or am I way off the mark here?

For reference, Tiger's amazing 3W on the 18th on Saturday at the US Open this year --- the one around the tree, over the ocean, cutting back and winding up on the green, was something like 260 yards IIRC. While that shot certainly was harder than a typical 3W, it was also a lot more accurate than most of what I saw from that range or shorter coming in that day. I think it's fair to say that a 3W accurate enough to put near the green often from that range is definitely scratch territory. Far more so than a 300 yard drive.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Note: This thread is 4964 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!