IGNORED

Practice swings.

James_Black
Note: This thread is 4301 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you take a practice swing?

• Yes
    • No

I can't understand how you'd play without taking practice swings. Swings are always evolving, and you always have swing thoughts in your head. You take the practice swing to rehearse it, making sure it's right before going at the ball and halfway through realizing you forgot to do something and suddenly having to redirect the club.

Here's a better question, do any tour pros not take practice swings?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never used to but started to recently. I find that it slows me down just enough so that I can concentrate on my actual shot.

edit* I don't take a full practice swing ever, just usually a few half swings to get a rhythm down.

Here's a better question, do any tour pros not take practice swings?

I'd say that most don't take a *full* practice swing. They all or nearly all have their half-swings and similar exercises, but it's rare to see them rear back and let loose the way a lot of amateurs seem to.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I can't understand how you'd play without taking practice swings. Swings are always evolving, and you always have swing thoughts in your head. You take the practice swing to rehearse it, making sure it's right before going at the ball and halfway through realizing you forgot to do something and suddenly having to redirect the club.

I tight a half swing to loosen up. But I see a lot of people taking practice swings and digging up the course. What's the point?

i try to have no swing thoughts when I play. I look at the pin, aim, and hit the ball. And as zeg has said, most don't take fu,l practice swings.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I take one practice swing to get my rythm, sometimes I will just take a half back swing with my driver/woods ala AK and Mike Weir to make sure my takeaway is not too flat

:tmade: M2 10.5° - Fujikura Pro 60 - Stiff
:tmade: V-Steel 18° - M.A.S Ultralight- Stiff
:ping: G400 4-UW - AWT 2.0 - Stiff
:tmade: Tour Preferred 58° ATV - KBS Tour-V - Wedge
:scotty_cameron: Select SquareBack - 34" - SuperStroke MS 2.0

I'd say that most don't take a *full* practice swing. They all or nearly all have their half-swings and similar exercises, but it's rare to see them rear back and let loose the way a lot of amateurs seem to.

Yup. Look at Tiger before a shot. If he's hitting a cut you see him with the sawed off follow through with the clubface open, if he is hitting a big hook you see his hands dropping way down and coming way from the inside, etc. You never see him take that full 125 mph swing and taking divots like amateurs like to do.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Do you take a practice swing?

It's just part of my routine. I like to take one or two practice swings to groove the feeling I want and then make the same swing with the ball in the way.

In my Org.14 Xtreme Cart Bag
Driver: G15 10.5* TFC 149D Reg Flex
3 Wood: G15
Hybrid: Diablo Edge 3i
Irons: Diablo Edge 52* and 56* Wedges: CG14 Chrome60* Wedge: CG15 ChromePutter: White Ice SabertoothBall: Assorted

I don't think I've seen anyone practice swing and takes divots James? that would be strange

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I don't think I've seen anyone practice swing and takes divots James? that would be strange

Not on purpose perhaps, but you must've seen high handicappers taking a full practice swing and sometimes take a divot?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've taken divots during practice swings before...

i dont do it on purpose but it happens

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

most of the guys on this forum don't even goto the range either anyway... guess they just hop from ball to ball hitting balls here and there.

But the OP said no practice swings, no mention of full or otherwise. Not many people take full practice swings, and I don't ususally do it either, but

nothing ? I think most good players make a very small practice swing because under pressure your swing gets longer and faster, so the full swing feels like that short swing.

But the OP said no practice swings, no mention of full or otherwise. Not many people take full practice swings, and I don't ususally do it either, but

Yeah, kind of an issue of definitions; I think a couple more options would have been helpful. Nonetheless, I do see people taking full practice swings, and sometimes more than one, even on standard full shots from the fairway. Maybe not full speed, but pretty close. As I said above, I'll do this if I've been having major swing problems and need to find the right feeling again, but otherwise just the kind of small practice drill swings that you're talking about.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

i also take full swing practices if i'm waiting on a group a head of me. No point in just standing there, I'll pull my driver out and take some full practice swings.

Sorry, i should re-phrase it.

I mean no full practice swings. what I do is a few 1/2 swings to loosen up. I mean taking a full swing.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Probably to many, when not playing well I tend to start trying to slow down to much and guide the club.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Note: This thread is 4301 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!