IGNORED

Shaking Hands With Your Foursome / Removing Your Hat on 18th Green?

bigoak
Note: This thread is 1921 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

82 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do on the 18th green? (Choose all that apply, and it's anonymous, so be honest.)

• I almost always shake hands.
    • I often shake hands.
    • I sometimes shake hands.
    • I almost always remove my hat.
    • I often remove my hat.
    • I sometimes remove my hat.

20 minutes ago, iacas said:

Kinda hope that's sarcasm, cuz…

Watch the video.

I had written a long response to your comment.

Then I looked at your signature. 

f*** you.

Always remember, the same country that invented golf and called it a game, invented bag pipes and called it music.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, millsan1 said:

I had written a long response to your comment.

Then I looked at your signature. 

f*** you.

Not sure why you responded as such. It was pointed out to you that removing hats is a recent trend and not a long honored tradition.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

19 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Not sure why you responded as such. It was pointed out to you that removing hats is a recent trend and not a long honored tradition.

No, the owner of the site made comment that he hoped I was being sarcastic in something I believe in and have an opinion on.

He dismissed my thoughts.  That is the role of a troll, not the owner of the site.

I received a demerit for my comment.  Cool.

I repeat, to the owner of the Sand Trap .com, Arbiter of All Things, and Knower of all Knowledge.  GO f*** YOURSELF.  Please, pretty please give me some more demerits.

Always remember, the same country that invented golf and called it a game, invented bag pipes and called it music.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, millsan1 said:

No, the owner of the site made comment that he hoped I was being sarcastic in something I believe in and have an opinion on.

He dismissed my thoughts.  That is the role of a troll, not the owner of the site.

Over-react much?

I hoped you were being sarcastic because you literally said that someone not taking their hat off was something that you found "off putting" and which "drove you nuts."

There are a lot of things that actually matter in life, and taking your hat off or not is way, way, way down on my list.

That's why I hoped you were being sarcastic, because getting upset to the point of being driven nuts or being put off seems like a massive over-reaction.

And then I quoted a post by another guy with a video showing that removing your hat was not a tradition like many people assume it to be.

I used to be mildly annoyed by people wearing jeans into the dining room at a club I was at awhile ago. Then I realized… why do I care? It doesn't affect me at all, unless I let it.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, millsan1 said:

I received a demerit for my comment.  Cool.

I repeat, to the owner of the Sand Trap .com, Arbiter of All Things, and Knower of all Knowledge.  GO f*** YOURSELF.  Please, pretty please give me some more demerits.

You are behaving like a 3 year old. The owner of the site, as did many others, pointed out to you that removing hats is a new thing and not a moral outrage if we don't. You exploded like a child with a temper tantrum. My goodness, someone disagreed with you! 

• Like 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:53 AM, iacas said:

Over-react much?

I hoped you were being sarcastic because you literally said that someone not taking their hat off was something that you found "off putting" and which "drove you nuts."

There are a lot of things that actually matter in life, and taking your hat off or not is way, way, way down on my list.

That's why I hoped you were being sarcastic, because getting upset to the point of being driven nuts or being put off seems like a massive over-reaction.

And then I quoted a post by another guy with a video showing that removing your hat was not a tradition like many people assume it to be.

I used to be mildly annoyed by people wearing jeans into the dining room at a club I was at awhile ago. Then I realized… why do I care? It doesn't affect me at all, unless I let it.

I'll give you a reason it "should" bother you and anybody else that frequents places that have what I would call an obvious dress code. If people want to wear jeans or any clothing that would be considered less appropriate than the obvious why don't they just go to places that everybody is wearing that lower tier of clothing? Why do they have to try and bring "down" the bar to their level instead of once in a while raising their dress to the higher level.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, TRUCKER said:

I'll give you a reason it "should" bother you and anybody else that frequents places that have what I would call an obvious dress code. If people want to wear jeans or any clothing that would be considered less appropriate than the obvious why don't they just go to places that everybody is wearing that lower tier of clothing? Why do they have to try and bring "down" the bar to their level instead of once in a while raising their dress to the higher level.

My point was, even if someone wears jeans to a place with a dress code that says "no jeans," then that doesn't personally offend me at all. Why should it?

So long as someone's "decent" then I don't really care what they're wearing. If they're wearing Speedos, now obviously that's a problem, because I don't want to see "that." But a nice pair of jeans? Who am I to care? I didn't make the dress code. I might not even agree with it. Probably, as you might guess, I don't care enough to have an opinion on it (except to abide by it myself). But, yeah, it's not my dress code.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)
On 1/6/2019 at 7:33 PM, TRUCKER said:

I disagree with nothing you've said.  People SHOULD follow obvious or explicitly stated dress codes.  However, their choice really doesn't affect me directly, they generally do nothing more than make themselves seem foolish.  I'm generally more amused when I see that, rather than indignant or bothered.

Where the disagreement comes in is the question of whether removing one's hat to shake hands after a round of golf is part of an "obvious dress code", or even part of standard good manners.  If you read back through the thread, you'll find lots of examples of find golfers, gentlemen all, who are shaking hands with their hats still on.  I'm not going to accuse Gene Littler or Byron Nelson of being rude, I'd generally think I'm safe if I behave as well as they do.  Hat doffing for the handshake seems to me, and to others, to be a relatively recent change to what were good manners before.  Being an old guy, having been a golfer at a time when the hat could be safely left on when shaking hands, I feel no urgency to take it off simply because Ricky Fowler has decided to.  And I'm not insulted in any way based on what my playing partners do with their hats at the end of the round.  

I did chuckle on Sunday, when I saw John Rahm finish his round at Kapalua.  He took off his hat, transferred it to his left hand, ran his right hand through his (undoubtedly sweaty) hair, and immediately offered it to his playing partner for a handshake.  Really, do you want to be shaking anyone's freshly sweat-anointed hand, or would you rather they kept their hat on?

Edited by DaveP043
  • Like 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I did chuckle on Sunday, when I saw John Rahm finish his round at Kapalua.  He took off his hat, transferred it to his left hand, ran his right hand through his (undoubtedly sweaty) hair, and immediately offered it to his playing partner for a handshake.  Really, do you want to be shaking anyone's freshly sweat-anointed hand, or would you rather they kept their hat on?

Yeah, given a choice between shaking his hand right then versus him leaving his hat on, I don't think anyone would prefer to have shaken his hand there.

44 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I disagree with nothing you've said.  People SHOULD follow obvious or explicitly stated dress codes.  However, their choice really doesn't affect me directly, they generally do nothing more than make themselves seem foolish.  I'm generally more amused when I see that, rather than indignant or bothered.

Where the disagreement comes in is the question of whether removing one's hat to shake hands after a round of golf is part of an "obvious dress code", or even part of standard good manners.  If you read back through the thread, you'll find lots of examples of find golfers, gentlemen all, who are shaking hands with their hats still on.  I'm not going to accuse Gene Littler or Byron Nelson of being rude, I'd generally think I'm safe if I behave as well as they do.  Hat doffing for the handshake seems to me, and to others, to be a relatively recent change to what were good manners before.  Being an old guy, having been a golfer at a time when the hat could be safely left on when shaking hands, I feel no urgency to take it off simply because Ricky Fowler has decided to.  And I'm not insulted in any way based on what my playing partners do with their hats at the end of the round.  

Wouldn't being required to take your hat off be an "Undress Code"?

Remind me not to shake John Rahm's hand. :yucky:

Scott

My Swing Thread

... why don't they just go to places that everybody is wearing that lower tier of clothing? Why do they have to try and bring "down" the bar to their level ....

Elitism and snobbery are big symptoms of the image of golf to the non-golfing public. I've had people snub me because of the lower tier of the golf clubs I was using or the lower tier of golf ball that I was playing. A few years ago I even had a Callaway rep snub me for daring to demo a Callaway driver during a demo day because I obviously wasn't a scratch level golfer.

As to etiquette and manners, I usually take my hat off indoors even when grocery shopping, and if someone wants or doesn't want to shake my hand at the end of a round of golf it doesn't really bother me either way.  And I do own more blue jeans than slacks these days, I even own cargo shorts, suits my current lifestyle just fine. Besides, I can't usually afford to play at upper tier courses with functionally applied dress codes, but if I ever do get the chance then I'll probably wear a pair of Dockers. 🙂

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

• 2 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 1921 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!