IGNORED

PURE Grips

@saevel25 ... I bought one that Erik recommended back when I first got my Pures.  You can see it in this picture:  http://thesandtrap.com/t/65013/5sk-pure-grips-custom-pre-order-feb-2013/30_30#post_820648

Not sure if I got it at HD or Lowes, but it was one of the two.  Came with some fun accessories including a little nailer. :)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Campbell-Hausfeld-2-gal-Air-Compressor-with-Inflation-Kit-FP260200AV/202817921 .. I think that might be the one.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Any issues with Game Golf tags slipping out of the PURE?

They can, and sometimes seem to be jarred a bit when you hit it thin.

I put a dab of silicone on mine and they haven't budged.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I had absolutely no problem with my tags until I put them on my set with the PURE grips. Then I lost two during the same round. I will definitely be "gluing" them in with silicone when I switch back.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Lost one (found in bottom of my bag later) during the first round I played with them.  Actually, the first HOLE of the first round.  Added the silicone glue per Eriks recommendation and haven't had the problem since.  I have had to reglue them once though.

The only clubs I have that don't have Pure grips are my new wedges (ping grips) and they aren't glued in and haven't budged to this point.

I figured the hole might be a little big due to the air gun tool. I use Avon Chamois which I like but they wear quickly where the right forefinger makes contact. Looking to make a change. I have tried the PURE before Bombtech uses them and I had a Grenade for a minute but that was before I started using GG.

Dave :-)

Air Compressor Failure

Set the output pressure to 60 PSI. First, the air compressor has a universal coupling. So I bough to the part that attaches to the hose. The universal coupling doesn't form a solid seal and it leaks a bit. Second, the air gun leaks a lot. I tried using some plummer's tape but it just bubbles up. Then I tried duct tape over that and still bubbles up. Third, the air compressor is loud and the grips hisses even louder. Fourth, the grips do not slide on easy at all. I looked at the FAQ for the grips and tried to follow their process and no go. I got the first one on after about 10 minutes and having to take it back off. I almost blew up the grip the first time.

Since I have to golf tomorrow, and I don't want to keep other people awake who live below or next door to me since I live in an apartment, I'm going old school with double sided tape and solvent. I can do about three golf clubs old style over the air compressor right now.

I might try the air compressor the next time I change grips. Maybe I'll just lug it up to my parents house so I have space to be loud.

On a side note, those with air compressors. Do you guys actually follow the maintenance required for that thing? Mine recommends draining it daily. Which means getting 20 PSI of pressure it in and releasing the drain valve. If not do you fear the compressor blowing up someday then? The thing just freaks me out a bit in a confined space.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
Air Compressor Failure

Set the output pressure to 60 PSI. First, the air compressor has a universal coupling. So I bough to the part that attaches to the hose. The universal coupling doesn't form a solid seal and it leaks a bit. Second, the air gun leaks a lot. I tried using some plummer's tape but it just bubbles up. Then I tried duct tape over that and still bubbles up. Third, the air compressor is loud and the grips hisses even louder. Fourth, the grips do not slide on easy at all. I looked at the FAQ for the grips and tried to follow their process and no go. I got the first one on after about 10 minutes and having to take it back off. I almost blew up the grip the first time.

I can't say I've ever heard of this kind of thing. Do these help?

If there were leaks I can see how you might have trouble getting the grips on - you weren't delivering 50 PSI of pressure to the gun and grips. They're easy to take on and off. I can install 10 grips in the time it takes to remove the grip tape from ONE old shaft.

On a side note, those with air compressors. Do you guys actually follow the maintenance required for that thing? Mine recommends draining it daily. Which means getting 20 PSI of pressure it in and releasing the drain valve. If not do you fear the compressor blowing up someday then? The thing just freaks me out a bit in a confined space.

No. Doesn't freak me out. I have a valve and I unscrew it to relieve the pressure when I'm done. I leave it open the whole time it's sitting in the basement unused (the little screw). There's a separate pressure release valve, too, that will pop open if the pressure ever got too high.

I don't do any maintenance. I've had mine for years.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Air Compressor Failure

Set the output pressure to 60 PSI. First, the air compressor has a universal coupling. So I bough to the part that attaches to the hose. The universal coupling doesn't form a solid seal and it leaks a bit. Second, the air gun leaks a lot. I tried using some plummer's tape but it just bubbles up. Then I tried duct tape over that and still bubbles up.

I don't know what's going on with your setup, but I've never had any problems with mine. I have the same setup as @iacas with a quick connect coupling attached to the installer with some teflon tape.

Third, the air compressor is loud and the grips hisses even louder.

These two things are both completely unavoidable.

Fourth, the grips do not slide on easy at all. I looked at the FAQ for the grips and tried to follow their process and no go. I got the first one on after about 10 minutes and having to take it back off. I almost blew up the grip the first time.

I install my grips with the club shaft vertical and the clubhead between my feet (for control). Then I gently push down as I apply the air pressure and the grip slides very easily into place.

No, and I can't think of a single contractor or maintenance person I've ever met who has either. I just relieve the pressure and put it away.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

I install my grips with the club shaft vertical and the clubhead between my feet (for control). Then I gently push down as I apply the air pressure and the grip slides very easily into place.

I… put them in a vice with a little rubber and metal thing that protects the shaft.

I can't say I've ever heard of this kind of thing. Do these help?

Ah that might have been the issue. There was some serious pressure loss. I just screwed the hose right into the attachment. I might check out in getting a coupling for the Pure Grip gun. If not then I might have a fault hose.

These two things are both completely unavoidable.

I might save my installations for the weekend then. At least I can try to not to annoy people in the evenings.

No. Doesn't freak me out. I have a valve and I unscrew it to relieve the pressure when I'm done. I leave it open the whole time it's sitting in the basement unused (the little screw). There's a separate pressure release valve, too, that will pop open if the pressure ever got too high.

I don't do any maintenance. I've had mine for years.

Sounds good. Never really owned a serious piece of hardware like this before. The manual had a shit load of warnings on it. Kind of a eye opener. :-D

Well the grips are on the with the old method. When I get the next set of grips I'll give it another try. See you in 12 months air compressor :-P

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

• 1 month later...

I got some PURE grips last winter and they came with the compressor attachment.  So i purchased a small 3 LB air compressor.  When I had my Bio Cell irons reshafted, I did the grips...Easy Peasy, Lemon Squeezy......This was so easy.  I have also replaced other clubs with the PURE grips.  They are great with my irons and all that is needed to get the tacky back is to wipe them with a wet rag.

I'm kicking around the idea of replacing the stock grips on my Mizunos with some pure grips. I need to see if they have any blue ones that are close to the same color as the badging. I have access to a couple different air compressors so installing them should be easy enough.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I'm kicking around the idea of replacing the stock grips on my Mizunos with some pure grips. I need to see if they have any blue ones that are close to the same color as the badging. I have access to a couple different air compressors so installing them should be easy enough.

I'd wait till you wear down your current grips. No need of wasting a good grip. I have all Pure grips except for my Hybrid I bought two weeks ago.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I'd wait till you wear down your current grips. No need of wasting a good grip. I have all Pure grips except for my Hybrid I bought two weeks ago.

I'll wait to see how they feel for sure. I'm supposed to be able to pick them up today, however with no place to actually go hit them I almost don't even care if they are there.... Almost.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

• 4 months later...
  • Administrator

Nice! There's some good placement.