IGNORED

which one..50 or 52 deg. GW?

Note: This thread is 4330 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I need to get a GW between my PW and SW. The loft on the PW is 46 and SW is 56. Am I better off getting the 52 or 50? I deally 51 would be perfect, but I'm looking to get a Vokey SM (as the other wedges are the same).

I hit the SW anywhere from 80-90 yds, and the PW 120

I'd go 50*, be able to hit it futher if needed and lay off as needed. My PW is 45 so I carry a 50*, 54* & 58*

You can always have them take the 50* back to 51* or the 52* up to 51* too.......

3 Wood-Dynacraft Avatar XMOI w/Apollo FW Shadow
2/3 Hybrid-Power Play 5000 w/True Ace Red Storm Hybrid
4-PW Power Play System Q2 w/S Apollo Spectre Lite Steel
50*/54*/58*-Acer XB Satin w/S Apollo Spectre Lite Steel
Putter-Nike BC101Ball-Top Flite Gamer V2

I have 45pw - 50 gw - 56 sw - 60 lw... Funny thing I find a use for them all and the 50 is great to have confidence in those shots inbetween 115-135 yards.
 Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

That's a pretty strong PW...most seem to be about 48 degrees. To fill the gaps I'd personally have my 9 iron bent 1 degree weaker, the PW bent 2 degrees, and then get the 52 Vokey.

I would bring your wedges in and hit all the wedges on the machine including yours and find the better gap between the 50 and 52, it will become more obvious after you do this exercise.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I have a 45* PW and a 52* SM Vokey and i'm going to trade and get a 50* or have my 52* bent down to 50* depending on bounce. Im undecided. but FOR ME 45* - 52* leaves a big unplayable gap.

"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my golf clubs for what I told her I paid for them."
What's in my SQ Tour Carry bag?:
Driver: R7 Quad 9.5*
3, 5 Wood: G5 clones
Irons: : AP1 (4-PW) Wedges: 52*, 56*, 62* Spin Milled Putter: White Hot 2 Ball BladeBalls: Shoes: My...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I need to get a GW between my PW and SW. The loft on the PW is 46 and SW is 56. Am I better off getting the 52 or 50? I deally 51 would be perfect, but I'm looking to get a Vokey SM (as the other wedges are the same).

A few thoughts:

First, you could get a Vokey bent to 51 degrees if you feel that's the ideal loft. I would suspect that the 50 degree is going to fit the gap a bit better, based on your AP1 PW (and its affiliated ball flight).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I think you should go for the 52 and bend it to 51 (decreases the bounce a bit) ..... 50 to 51 would also be possible, but then the bounce will grow.

Or you can kick out the 56/60 and go for 52/58 or 50/54/58 ......

Just some options, same with me, in my set I think of replacing the 47 PW by a 48 SM in OC.

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

I would say it depends on what types of partial shots you prefer. Another thought: Some people who have trouble hitting the 60* LW find the 58* a more reliable top-end wedge.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I say you should get the 52° and lighten up on the PW as necessary. Or, as has been mentioned, get either one and have it bent.

Totally agree-I'm just partial to a 52* GW, and easing up slightly on the PW should be part of your game. Vokey can also be bent to 51* without a problem.

That's a pretty strong PW...most seem to be about 48 degrees. To fill the gaps I'd personally have my 9 iron bent 1 degree weaker, the PW bent 2 degrees, and then get the 52 Vokey.

When I was growing up PW's were usually 48*, but there are very, very few sets today with a 48* PW. 45*-47* is the norm.

wow..been stuck at work (and no internet access..just tied up with real work..lol)..thanks for all the great replies. Seems like many of you are advocating the 50 deg..well..out of all palces..I searched Amazon and sure enough found a matching GW for the same iron set..crazy..anyway..yeah it's a 50 too..thanks all!

• 8 months later...

Since I am new to golf I would like to ask a newb question. What does GW stand for?

Taylormade M4 10.5* (turned down to 8.5*)
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood
Ping G410 5 wood
Titleist F2 7 woods
Ping G graphite irons 5 - PW  Black Dot
Ping Gorged Glide Wedges - 50, 54, 58
Directed Force Reno 2.0 Putter
What an amazing game this is.

Gap Wedge. These became necessary when manufacturers started lowering the lofts of the irons in their sets so they could say their clubs hit the ball further than their competitors' clubs. In the good old days, an iron set typically ran from a 24 degree 3 iron through to a 52 degree pitching wedge and 56 degree sand wedge. Nowadays, many sets go from a 20 degree 3 iron to a 46 degree pitching wedge. Since you can't shrink the loft of the sand wedge very much (it needs it to do its primary job of splashing out of bunkers), there's now a big distance gap between the PW and sandie. Solution -- they get to sell you another wedge, with a loft typically around 52 degrees, to fill that gap.

• Upvote 1

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

I would figure out what distance you want to play to and fit the wedge to that distance.  Are you looking for a 100 yard club or a 110 yard club?  When you lay up what distance to you try to lay up to?  Or better what distance do you end up at?  Get the wedge that best fits your ideal layup distance.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I'd suggest getting the 52 because thats the same setup I have and I love it.

But it really depends on what you are looking for exactly. What do you usually use for pitch shots and what bounce are you looking to get?

R5 9.5 Driver
Warbird 3 wood custom shaft
G10 21° hybrid
R540 irons 4 - PW
Rac black satin 52° wedge 8° bounce Vokey Spin Milled 56° wedge 8° bounce G5i Mini C Putterdepending on my mood (and price range) these are the main balls i play with: Pro V1x E6+

Originally Posted by Stretch

Gap Wedge. These became necessary when manufacturers started lowering the lofts of the irons in their sets so they could say their clubs hit the ball further than their competitors' clubs. In the good old days, an iron set typically ran from a 24 degree 3 iron through to a 52 degree pitching wedge and 56 degree sand wedge. Nowadays, many sets go from a 20 degree 3 iron to a 46 degree pitching wedge. Since you can't shrink the loft of the sand wedge very much (it needs it to do its primary job of splashing out of bunkers), there's now a big distance gap between the PW and sandie. Solution -- they get to sell you another wedge, with a loft typically around 52 degrees, to fill that gap.

Thank you that is an awesome explanation.

Taylormade M4 10.5* (turned down to 8.5*)
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood
Ping G410 5 wood
Titleist F2 7 woods
Ping G graphite irons 5 - PW  Black Dot
Ping Gorged Glide Wedges - 50, 54, 58
Directed Force Reno 2.0 Putter
What an amazing game this is.

Note: This thread is 4330 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!