IGNORED

Shorts On the PGA Tour (Updated 2013, 2016)

GreensDruid
Note: This thread is 1609 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

39 members have voted

1. 1. Should the PGA Tour allow its players to wear shorts during tournament rounds?

• Yes
    • Yes, with stipulations
    • No

I voted yes, but understand why the PGA tour doesn`t allow it as it does seem more "professional" to wear pants.  OYOH, if they are trying to portray golf as a sport, then it seems odd to require pants, especially in hot weather.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Shorts would probably be a bad idea.
It would cheapen the “look” of the tour. If anyone can remember (other than me) when the White Sox experimented with wearing shorts. The image went from elite major league baseball to the local softball field.

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

Shorts would probably be a bad idea. It would cheapen the “look” of the tour. If anyone can remember (other than me) when the White Sox experimented with wearing shorts. The image went from elite major league baseball to the local softball field. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/61482/] [/URL]

To be fair, you don't slide in golf. Nor do male golfers wear knee-high socks.

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by luu5

Unless you are Joel Sjöholm.

Thanks for that mental image.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Originally Posted by jamo

Nor do male golfers wear knee-high socks.

At certain of the more traditional (ie really full of themselves) clubs in the UK, you have to wear knee-high socks if you are going to play in shorts.

I always find it a bit odd when men care a lot about what other men are wearing. Just saying......

It does look like the white belt is mandatory if you wear shorts though.

Originally Posted by Paradox

for the one who say pants should be worn on tour...what is your reasoning?

Do you always wear pants when you play?

Not an attack..just curious about the reasoning.

Originally Posted by Wansteadimp

At certain of the more traditional (ie really full of themselves) clubs in the UK, you have to wear knee-high socks if you are going to play in shorts.

It was that way at most of the clubs in Australia also about 20-25 years ago...not sure how it is today, but I think they loosened up some after they saw Greg Norman wear short socks in one of the skins games or something similar.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

That is hilarious. The sort of GC that some of the fellows in Rumpole's Chambers played at I suppose. Not Horace himself of course - he wouldn't be seen dead on a golf course. Could you name one or two of these clubs for our edification, or does this fall under the Official Secrets Act?

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

I think we should make them wear kilts to honor the Scottish roots of this lovely game!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by Chas

That is hilarious. The sort of GC that some of the fellows in Rumpole's Chambers played at I suppose. Not Horace himself of course - he wouldn't be seen dead on a golf course.

Could you name one or two of these clubs for our edification, or does this fall under the Official Secrets Act?

Strangely a really exclusive members club, Swinley Forest in Surrey, really doesn't go to town on the dress code, except for the Lunch Carvery - jacket & tie required.

However, Royal St Georges who you may think would be looking to cash in on its name and status has the following code: -

http://www.royalstgeorges.com/visitor_information/dress_code/

i dont get people even caring what they wear....r u telling me you enjoy pro golf on the pga on the tv more or less depending on shorts vs pants? personally i watch the shots not their legs and whether i can see them or not. it is funny that women fought for and continue to fight to get equal rights of men...yet the pga forces men to wear pants in unbearable heat...while women get to wear what they want...and what they want is normally shorts. why can women wear them and men not? why does anyone care.....i say for sure it should be allowed. i and my friends cannot wait until the weather gets even the slightest bit warm enough to justify shorts and i dont go back to pants until season is almost over where i live. i stil wore shorts in cold weather the other day cuz air on my legs and the freedome of movement and comfort is important.

Didn't Payne Stewart wear some kind of special short pants on Tour?  And long stockings.  He looked, when compared to the others he played against, like rather  a  'dandy'.  Would those Payne Stewart  trousers be permitted today by the PGA Tour?  And does the European Tour  have the same dress restrictions as the American PGA Tour?  HaHa, what if there were no dress codes for the pros, what kind of trousers would John Daly wear then? All so absurd.

Originally Posted by Wansteadimp

http://www.royalstgeorges.com/visitor_information/dress_code/

hmmm, and what are "cargo" shorts exactly (banned by Royal St. George's, see link)?  Are those the sort of shorts that photographers wear with lots of pockets in them for carrying lenses and other essential items?  I could use a pair of those for all the extra balls I sometimes find myself needing out there on the track.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by Chas

hmmm, and what are "cargo" shorts exactly (banned by Royal St. George's, see link)?  Are those the sort of shorts that photographers wear with lots of pockets in them for carrying lenses and other essential items?  I could use a pair of those for all the extra balls I sometimes find myself needing out there on the track.

Pretty much, thought he fashion police at my place seem to consider anything more than 2 pockets at the front and 2 back pockets as being cargo shorts!

Many years ago Greg Norman was asked if the PGA Tour players could wear shorts since they were allowed on the LPGA Tour. He said" Hell yes, I have better looking legs than half of the LPGA players"

Wishon  715 CLC-AXE5 A shaft -hard steppedt -44.5"
4 wood-Infiniti 17*-UST IROD A shaft-Hard stepped(2009 model)
Hybrids 19* & 24*-Trident DSW-UST IROD Hybrid A shaft-hard stepped (2009 model)
Irons-5-PW- Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release  sensicore( 5&6-Soft stepped R-7,8&9-R-wedge hard stepped R
Wedges-52*-Wilson JP BeCE(54* bent to 52*)-TT-Release sensicore-hard stepped R

56*Wilson R-61 BECU Sandy Andy- Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

60* Wilson Harmonized BECU-Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

Woods- Star Grips  Irons Energy Grips

:Putter-Rife IBF with Ping Blackout Grip-35"

Ball-Wilson Staff Zip Golf. or C-25

Hmmmm...I'm thinkin' you gotta pass a knobby knees test. Knobby knees...forget it! Oh, you can't wear dorky English-style long socks either...not even athletic length socks. It's gotta be shorty socks just past the ankle bone. Oh yeah, and you can't have blue-white legs. Tan em first then bring em to the golf course. There, OK, now I'm for shorts. Well, not all shorts. Gotta be knee length shorts, forget those mid-thigh hiking shorts. OK, there you go.

Note: This thread is 1609 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!