IGNORED

Iron Club Face At Address

Kalipari
Note: This thread is 3846 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When you address the ball with your irons do you have the club face square to the target line,slightly closed, slightly open, or any other variation? At the range tonight I seem to get much better contact when I addressed the ball with a slightly closed club face.

Driver :tmade: Tour Burner
3 Wood :tmade: Burner
3 Hybrid :ping: Rapture
Irons :titleist: AP1 4-W
Wedges :cleveland: CG14Putter :odyssey: White Hot 2 BallRangefinder :leupold: GX-1Bag :ogio: Grom

• Administrator
When you address the ball with your irons do you have the club face square to the target line,slightly closed, slightly open, or any other variation? At the range tonight I seem to get much better contact when I addressed the ball with a slightly closed club face.

Slightly open - where I intend to return the clubface at impact.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

slightly open. even a slight bit closed and i know i'll be hitting ugly pulls and hooks.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

I struggle with accidentally gripping the club with the face closed.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I generally set up a bit closed, to help myself get rid of a nasty slice, and have never had a problem with hooks/pulls. I guess it all depends on your natural flight path.

In the  Strata Bag:

3 Wood:  XL

Irons: 4-5:  AP1; 6-PW:  XL

Wedges:  Tour Grind, 52°/60°

Putter:  White Hot XG #9

Balls:  Mojo

When I was first starting I had it closed, but as my swing has gotten better it's opened up more and more. As my swing strengthened I began to hit draw and was landing left of my targets. The consistent draw for me really began when I started to implement some stack and tilt to my swing...

Slightly open. If I square it, it will over draw.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

When I was first starting I had it closed, but as my swing has gotten better it's opened up more and more. As my swing strengthened I began to hit draw and was landing left of my targets. The consistent draw for me really began when I started to implement some stack and tilt to my swing...

Must be working for you. I noticed your handicap has dropped from a 25, right?

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

are you guys hitting slight drwas with the open face or do you do it to hit a straight ball?
I've started overdrawing my shots so i'm wondering

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
9.5 09 Burner with prolaunch red
Nickent 4dx driver
Taylormade Z tp 52, 56, 60
YES Carolyne putter

are you guys hitting slight drwas with the open face or do you do it to hit a straight ball?

Both shots are possible.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

hmm
ill work with it a bit

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
Nickent 4dx driver
YES Carolyne putter

wow... starting slightly open feels and performs a lot better... weird

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
Nickent 4dx driver
YES Carolyne putter

Square....

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

slightly open to play about a 5-10yrd draw ball flight. if its square i usually pull hook it. i think slightly open also consciously helps me release my hands right of the target line/swing in out

titleist.gif 910 D2 10.5 ProLaunch Blue S 55

:callaway: X2 Hot 3W  |  X Hot Pro 16H  |  X2 Hot 19H

:callaway: Apex 4-PW Project X 5.0 Flighted   

vokey.gif SM4 50.12, SM5 55.11
:cameron: Del Mar  |  titleist.gif NXT Tour S  

This is one of those truly enlightening threads I find every so often. I have always lined up with the clubface square. I hit the range this afternoon and tried lining up with the clubface slightly open. The majority of my shots were straight or slight draws with much better contact. I did have the occasional straight push. I think my mind tries to really square up the clubface if it starts that way, but having it slightly open and coming into the inside of the ball really seemed to be easier. I hit a lot more shots dead center of the sweet spot. I can't wait to see how this continues.
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

Note: This thread is 3846 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!