IGNORED

Long Sleeve Shirt During Summer?

Yukari
Note: This thread is 4935 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Reading through some of the threads got me thinking...
How many wear long sleeve shirt during summer to keep the sun off of your skin?
I used to wear short sleeve shirts and shorts during warm days. Heck even if it was a bit cool, I would wear short sleeve shirts and shorts to play golf.

But since I got married, my wife insists that I wear long pants and long sleeve shirts to protect my skin from sun. Interestingly, it actually helps me keep cooler when I wear long sleeve shirts and long pants b/c they are made from light synthetic fabric that wicks away perspiration.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In where i stay, it summer the whole year round. For the past 2 years or so, everyone from teens to old boys swear to the benefits of a Compression suit to protect strong UVA and to keep the body cool and a source of recovery for the body.

We would wear this compression suit 1st than our colorful polo tshirts over.

Here the link http://www.skinsusa.com/

I've worn UnderArmour compression shirts that helps repel sweat. Definitely helps in humid conditions.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

The PGA guys are out in the sun all day, every day. Their risk of skin cancer is 1000 times more than the average once or twice a week guy. Unless I see a significant numbers of pros wearing a "solar sleeve" I will consider them a solution in search of a problem.

Put on your sunscreen at #1 and #10 - what more do you need?

HiBore 10.5 driver
GT-500 3- and 5-woods
Bazooka JMax 4 Iron Wood
Big Bertha 2008 irons (4 and 5 i-brids, 6i-9i,PW)
Tom Watson 56 SW Two-Ball putter

The PGA guys are out in the sun all day, every day. Their risk of skin cancer is 1000 times more than the average once or twice a week guy. Unless I see a significant numbers of pros wearing a "solar sleeve" I will consider them a solution in search of a problem.

for me its not so much because of skin cancer...but the underarmour heat gear really helps regulate body temperature by wiicking away sweat fairly well. I hate feeling like my skin is getting all sticky onto my shirts, which a standard dri-fit or climacool technology would help but i've had hot days where my arms get so sweaty, it just becomes all wet and gross.

the compression shirt wicks away sweat but it also cools your body down when theres a breeze or something.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

Put on your sunscreen at #1 and #10 - what more do you need?

I have to agree. Sunscreen, short-sleeve shirt, and towel off the sweat.

Plus, if it's just a UA sleeve on bare skin where is the sweat being wicked to? From your skin to the outside of the UA sleeve? Does that make it evaporate faster than if it were on bare skin?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I assure you, if I wore a long sleeve shirt and long sleeve pants in the Oklahoma summer, I would be much too hot. I just can't bring myself to wear long sleeves in the heat even though some folks say it keeps you cooler. NOT GONNA DO IT

What's in my bag:
Driver: taylormade.gifBurner 09 Stiff 9.5*
Fairway Woods: adams.gifRPM Low Profile 3 & 5
Irons: mizuno.gifMP 57 - 3-PW Project X 5.5
Wedges: wilson.gifREG. 588 54* &cleveland.gif 60*Putter: ping.gifAnserBall: titleist.gifProV1x Home Course: Forest Ridge Golf Club

I assure you, if I wore a long sleeve shirt and long sleeve pants in the Oklahoma summer, I would be much too hot. I just can't bring myself to wear long sleeves in the heat even though some folks say it keeps you cooler. NOT GONNA DO IT

Yeah agreed, I dont see how people say it keeps you cooler! I have done it before and I would have to disagree.

And I dont even wear sunscreen so I am probably going to get skin cancer from all the harmfull rays of sun.

No way I wear long sleeves in summer.... or much of the rest of the year for that matter. I just prefer short sleeves. Polo, shorts and sunscreen with a wide brim hat.... 63 years... so far so good. And that includes many, many hours of hiking and backpacking in the Rockies. At 10,000 feet and higher, the sun is simply brutal in a way that lowland dwellers can't even imagine.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I wear tight fit, breathable long sleeve shirts all year long. More often when it is cold than warm though. I always roll up the sleeves of my sweater, and in cold weather a long sleve shirt helps me stay a bit warmer.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

How about wearing these?

Thanks for the links! They look great!

I will definitely try some of those.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

The first consideration in the sun is the hat. Wide-brimmed, not the ball cap, made of breathable cloth or straw. As for the shirt, long-sleeved is best for sun protection and for cooling if it is loose-fitting. Bedouin Arabs cover themselves from head to toe (not that you would play golf in robes) and in the Southwest, the Native Americans commonly wear long-sleeves and long pants.

Sun screen works best only if it is reapplied at the turn.

Summers are pretty hot (though not like a lot of places) but humid here in Western VA during the summer. Hat, S/S shirt and shorts for the most part. Definitely sunscreen - keep a tube in my bag and re-apply along the way. Wicking fabric only works if there is evaporation once the moisture reaches the surface of the fabric. In a humid environment (like here) it just becomes saturated - works great though in AZ or other dry climates.

Note: This thread is 4935 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!